Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/30/2007, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

What do you think is the most important factor in your success in sps. The reactor or skimmer. I have 400 watt bulbs but my water quality isn't great. I'm adding reef advantage calcium at this time. My caps are doing great but some sps grow, then i loose them after they get double or triple in size.
Old 09/30/2007, 10:01 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chooch1
Mike,

I really like the Red-head wrasse, H. rubricephalus. This is a rare fish. Where did you obtain it? Was it difficult to acclimate and has it been well behaved? I remember reading that people were not having much success with this species. Thanks.
I acquired 3 Red heads from a friend and only 1 made it....The fish has a great personalty and will eat rite out of my hand..The one that survived was eating with in the second day...

Mike
Old 09/30/2007, 10:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ghcpa9
grats..what a great reef.

Thank you.......

Mike
Old 09/30/2007, 10:12 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jumboshrimp18
Mike: You mentioned that your main reason for your weekly water changes is to replace trace elements. I take it in the past you tried adding Trace Elements supplements on their own. Did this not work for you and any thoughts on that?
I tried using Kent essential trace elements and just wasn't getting the result's I was looking for...I really like the consistency of all the ingredients in Tropic Marin salt...I have the best luck doing weekly water changes to replenish all the trace elements...

Mike
Old 09/30/2007, 10:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fernando Chang
MIke my congratulations from Panama !!

unfortunately in my country we ca not buy the SPS corals only very few soft corals.

Regards
Fernando Chang
I am sorry that you can't experience growing SPS corals...Why can't you buy SPS's corals in your country??? Are they illegal ???

Mike

Old 09/30/2007, 10:21 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by volivier
What do you think is the most important factor in your success in sps. The reactor or skimmer. I have 400 watt bulbs but my water quality isn't great. I'm adding reef advantage calcium at this time. My caps are doing great but some sps grow, then i loose them after they get double or triple in size.

PM sent

Mike
Old 10/01/2007, 02:48 AM
Registered Member

Hi Mike, your tank is simply incredible. It's probably the best I have seen so far. For your Reeflo Orca model 250 protein skimmer, I have been trying to locate the manufacturer's website but to no avail. Would you happen to have the info? Thanks.
Old 10/01/2007, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

Are you using Regular Tropic or the new Pro Reef Salt?
Awesome Tank BTW!
Thanks!
-Wolfgang
Old 10/01/2007, 11:28 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stg
Hi Mike, your tank is simply incredible. It's probably the best I have seen so far. For your Reeflo Orca model 250 protein skimmer, I have been trying to locate the manufacturer's website but to no avail. Would you happen to have the info? Thanks.
Hey stg,

I beleive Premium Aquatics offers this skimmer. Where are you from? I know here in Chicago, regular ground fom Premium is 1 day delivery.
Old 10/01/2007, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

Mike !

thanks for yr reply the only two stores order the corals and fishes in Miami and understand they send the list however the distributors ship what they have and not what the stores ordered. this is why we do not have the beatiful SPS corals in Panama only very few soft corals. Panama is a small country less that 3 millions persons however market for this hobby is very good. I can fly to Miami to buy the SPS corals but due to security regulations I can not bring with me any type of liquid !
Again you have a great and beatiful reef !!

Regards
Fernando Chang
Old 10/01/2007, 10:20 PM
Premium Member

Hey guys,

I decided to change things up a bit and put on 5 new Lumen Brite reflectors over the reef. Supposedly these reflectors are 15% more efficient than the Lumen Arc reflectors you have seen in the TOTM article. Visually the tank definitely appears brighter and areas before these reflectors that were dim are now lit up. I really like the concept of increasing the bends in the reflector to maximize the angles of light reflection.

I am planning on purchasing a light meter and really putting these new reflectors to the test against one of the Lumenarcs. I probably will post the results in the lighting and filtration forum. I may put a link here to the thread when it comes out most likely in the next couple weeks.
Mike...........
Old 10/01/2007, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

Mike / Fernando !

I have to change my M. Halides 10K Ushio and would like to change to Reeflux bulbs where I can buy these M. halides ?
I have purchase most of aquarium products via on line is more cheaper and in Panama the stores do not keep a large inventory.
thanks.

Regards
Old 10/01/2007, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bubbletip2
Hey stg,

I beleive Premium Aquatics offers this skimmer. Where are you from? I know here in Chicago, regular ground fom Premium is 1 day delivery.
Thanks for the info, bubbletip2. Unfortunately, i am far away in singapore. that's why i need to find out from the manufacturer if they have any dealers in my area. anyway, i already managed to contact Reeflo, so thanks all the same.
Old 11/06/2007, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

Mike, Love your tank. I have the opportunity to buy a White-Freckled Tang. I noticed you have one. I can't find much information on this fish. I already have a sailfin, yellow, naso and hipo tang in my 300 gal reef. What is your experience with this fish? Would you recommend it for a reef tank?
Thanks,
Shane
Old 11/16/2007, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

Wanted to ask you a lighting question.

First of all. I've been going through all the TOTM's and checking out the lighting setups, and coral coloration. You have the best color and growth I've seen. There are some other people who have great growth and good color but I think you have the best combination. And it does seem you are very knowledgable about lighting after reading your TOTM article. SO.. I wanted to ask you some questions.

I have a 90 G that is.. 24" inches deep, 48" wide... with an HQI fixture about 6" inches above that. I have a Coralife fixture now with 2 HQI 150W 10K, and 2 Actinics 03-Blue 96W.

My needs. I have softs, LPS, and clams.. but also want to get into SPS now. So I'm probably in the upper range of needs.. 7-10 W/gal. Damn.. that means I have to get new ballasts now b/c my fixture is using 150W HQI's now if I go up to 250 or 400W. I'm reading stuff all over and I'm reading a diff. opinion everywhere I go. Some say 150W for a 24" deep tank, some say 250. Some say 400W b/c of the type of corals and the size/width of the tank, but didn't mention anything about depth.

Same with Kelvin. Diff. stuff all over. I'm reading 10K is a good natural white light. Best for growth too. 20K is bluer but not as good for growth.. but that's what they use at the Diver's Den. I noticed a lot of places I see frag tanks at they have really blue lights on.. probably 400W 20K. I kinda wish my tank had more color too. I think it's too white. But I don't want to destroy growth either. But I do have the Actinics already too. Don't want it to look totally blue. 20K from what I'm reading isn't good for growth, and maybe too blue.
Old 11/16/2007, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

SCIFI_3D_zoo: I would suggest to get 2 LumenBright Minis with 12k 250w reeflux bulbs powered by coralvue electronic balasts. I have found these to be a great if not best lighting combo to date. I have a 90gal and this is what I would recommend. I am sure Mike would suggest the same. Give him a call. 773-851-3861
Old 12/29/2007, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

awesome tank,i have a question,if you got ich on a fish in that tank,what would you do?i guess you couldnt qt and treat all the fish? im just curious,and again trully amazing tank!!!
Old 12/31/2007, 07:30 PM
Team RC Member

genzod66, it depends on the fish. For most fish, ich can be treated by reducing stress, ensuring good water quality, providing adequate feedings, and many support adding garlic to foods. If a fish is not responding to this than it may need to be placed into a quarantine tank for additional treatment if necessary, such as copper or hyposalinity.
Old 12/31/2007, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

Dear members !

I want to wish you all A PROSPEROUS AND HEALTHY 2008 !! and hoping that I can get more varieties of corals specially SPS types in Panama.

All the Best
Fernando Chang
Panama