Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/21/2007, 01:51 AM
Registered Member

ok, so no more air with powerheads, BUT... new ?'s

Forgive my ignorance, please... I just don't want to F up. Like I said, this was pretty much dumped on me, and I am trying to make it work. I was given everything to do so(I hope) and I have the setup crystal clear, and nitrates, nitrites, ammonia are within parameters. Salinity was a little low, as was ph... and I do mean a little... BUT... I lost a shrimp today. I'm kinda paranoid. I have been reading my butt off, and talking to the local reef shops, but now that something died in the tank, I'm kinda scared... what did I do wrong?
Old 12/21/2007, 01:52 AM
Registered Member

Are you sure it s dead. They do molt and the molt looke like a dead shrimp.After they molt they will hide untill the new shell hardens.
Old 12/21/2007, 01:55 AM
Registered Member

how old is the tank? and as demon said....
Old 12/21/2007, 01:58 AM
Registered Member

It burried itself in the sand... I can't wake it with a little poking and prodding...
Old 12/21/2007, 02:05 AM
Registered Member

Oh crap... I know he was doing fine this morning... I watched him dig in the sand, but my wife and daughter called me later in the day and said he was dead, and had lumps of ?? on him, and they flushed him... now I'm ****ed. I told them he was fine, but he was gone when I got home...
Old 12/21/2007, 06:09 AM
problem algae grower

more info needed on your tank parameters, basically very thing you can think of please.
Old 12/21/2007, 06:41 AM
Registered Member

Easy on the pretend cursing they'll get you for it.(I've almost gotten booted for it) Don't panic, just recheck your tank P-rams and get your house(tank) in order. Maybe you got a sick shrimp to start with. Sometimes stuff just dies. Hey be gald your family want's you to get it going, that makes it much eaiser to just go get something when you want to. I have to ask before I can get a glass of water.
Old 12/21/2007, 09:57 AM
Master of Funk

The people that dumped the tank on you did not do you any favors. You really need to get up to speed on this crazy hobby (quickly) or you may lose more livestock. Even once you are a seasoned veteran, you are still going to have setbacks, its just the way this hobby is. Whether people want to admit it or not, we are still pioneers in this hobby and we dont even have 1/4 of the knowledge we need yet.

If you have Itunes (free) you can subscribe to a couple podcasts that have a lot of information for beginners. I would highly recommend Talking Reef for the simple fact that it is currently the most comprehensive. Start at the beginning and listen away, it may help you.