Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/03/2007, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

HOB skimmer for 75g

i currently have my 75g cycling...it is going to be a fowlr. I am not doing a sump as the tank is not drilled, and i really do not want to mess with it. I will be most likely upgrading to a rr tank in the future. As for now, i need a skimmer! I have been looking at the aqua c remora, but people have been telling me they are not suitable for a 75g. I have also been looking at the octopus hob. And reccomendations would be great, i need to pick one up soon...
Old 10/03/2007, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

also, does anyone have any info on these, or experience with them http://www.sapphireaquatics.com/stor...&products_id=5
Old 10/03/2007, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

Octopus would be a good choice.
Old 10/03/2007, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

so what about this one... http://cgi.ebay.com/OCTOPUS-DUAL-HAN...QQcmdZViewItem
or
http://cgi.ebay.com/OCTOPUS-HANG-ON-...QQcmdZViewItem
or
http://cgi.ebay.com/OCTOPUS-HANG-ON-...QQcmdZViewItem
whats the dif between them all...and which is best suitable for my application?
Old 10/03/2007, 10:27 AM
One Good Friend

Remora = junk, saphirre= way to small for a 75g, octo= ok for a 55g max. If your going to upgrade to a RR tank in the future then plan ahead. You could run a tunze 9010 and it would work great as an in tank skimmer. Then in the future you could still use it. The only hot skimmer out there that could handle a 75g IMO are the mce600 by deltec and the bermuda rogue. The mce is 500 bux which is super expensive for a hot skimmer, the rogue is 225 bux but is still fairly new and not completely tested as of yet but is showing good signs.
Old 10/03/2007, 11:03 AM
Mouth Pipetting

I'll second the comment: don't get a Remora
Old 10/03/2007, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

ok so ive eliminated the remora, ive heard good things about the octopus, so which one is the best.
Old 10/03/2007, 12:53 PM
One Good Friend

Like i said, the octo is to small for a 75g. Your trates will get fairly high with it. I'd go with the tunze, deltec or bermuda, but its all up to you. Good luck with your adventure, i'm just happy you eliminated the remora ; )
Old 10/03/2007, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

Got an octopus HOB110 on my 90. Pulls nasty fairly consistently. I admit that it's probably under-rated for my tank, and the limit would probably be a 75.

Your trates won't get high unless you have poor husbandry skills.
Old 10/03/2007, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

It sort of sounds like you are looking to grow slowly into it. I wouldn't recommend running out and getting a $350 - $600 dollar skimmer as some people on this site. Your loads do not require it and your tank is young enough that you may have a difficult time tuning it in for a while anyway. If you are looking for a throwaway, yet functional skimmer, just go out and buy a Seaclone or Coralife... you will get more skimmer than you need if you buy the one rated at 150 gallons, and you will be surprised by how much junk they pull. again, this may not happen right away. When you upgrade... then you can go out and buy a skimmer suited for your application and hopefully a sump.

Remember... Protein skimming in nature does not care whether it is beckett, needle wheel or airstone... All you need is quality bubbles and the ability to control the height of water column in the skimmer. You can do this for $160.
Old 10/03/2007, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

do not buy a seaclone or coralife: not good junk
get a D&D marine typhoon instead of one of those if you want to save money, if you have the cash and must get an HOB get the rogue wave from bermuda aquatics.
I would get a sump if I were you and get an octopus nw150
Old 10/03/2007, 01:49 PM
One Good Friend

Thumbs down Bad Advice

Quote:
Originally posted by hebygb
It sort of sounds like you are looking to grow slowly into it. I wouldn't recommend running out and getting a $350 - $600 dollar skimmer as some people on this site. Your loads do not require it and your tank is young enough that you may have a difficult time tuning it in for a while anyway. If you are looking for a throwaway, yet functional skimmer, just go out and buy a Seaclone or Coralife... you will get more skimmer than you need if you buy the one rated at 150 gallons, and you will be surprised by how much junk they pull. again, this may not happen right away. When you upgrade... then you can go out and buy a skimmer suited for your application and hopefully a sump.

Remember... Protein skimming in nature does not care whether it is beckett, needle wheel or airstone... All you need is quality bubbles and the ability to control the height of water column in the skimmer. You can do this for $160.
Why on earth would you suggest someone go spend $150 on junk? That makes zero sense to me. If you are looking under $150 look at a typhoon or look for a good used skimmer. I would suggest a sump but if not there aren't alot of options. You could build a shelf behind your tank and get a recirc and put it behind.
Old 10/03/2007, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

Luke... OUCH! Well first of all I dont disagree that you get what you pay for... but this is a young, sumpless tank. HOB limits the options... and the thread owner also stated that he plans to upgrade to quite a bit larger. much larger than it would make sense to buy for with this current tank. I am normally a name brand biggot myself, but I also have had a Seaclone out pull a Lifereef. My bad for trying my hand at being sensitive to what I construed as a reefer with a budget.
Old 10/03/2007, 03:01 PM
One Good Friend

Wasn't trying to insult, and imo you don't get what you pay for. There are tons of nice skimmers out there that work well for under 200 bux. There's also the flipside to that as well. I just wouldn't suggest someone to purchase something to get by on until they upgrade. Just do more frequent water changes until you decide to upgrade. Especially if its a fowlr, just monitor your trates.
Old 10/04/2007, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luke33
Like i said, the octo is to small for a 75g. Your trates will get fairly high with it. I'd go with the tunze, deltec or bermuda, but its all up to you. Good luck with your adventure, i'm just happy you eliminated the remora ; )
so what your telling me is that a skimmer rated for 150g would not work on a tank half that size? i think ur full of it. now you state my nates will get high, but does it honestly matter that much in a fowlr...no it doesnt. And i dont know why my nitrates would be high if my skimmer is "underrated" (well atleast you think it would be). I have been running my 20g skimmerless for a year and my nitrates are almost always 0.

http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=1012
Old 10/04/2007, 03:18 PM
One Good Friend

lol, you ask for advice and then get grumpy.....nice, and no the octo couldn't handle a 75g reef. And like i stated previously, it won't matter that much since its a fowlr. Just monitor your trates. I feel like i'm talkin to my 3yr old sometimes on these posts.......having to repeat myself a few times so you can follow.
Old 10/04/2007, 03:22 PM
g l a s s b o x

the only hob skimmer that will actually skim handle a tank that size is a deltec MCE600... by far the best hob out there, but it is expensive. you can find them used for $300, and even in sump it will compete with the best of them. btw, new they are $450, not $500.

if you're looking for a temporary solution you can buy aquatrader CPR knock off's for very little money. if you throw a limewood airstone in one or plumb an external recirc NW it would be quite good.

my advice.....dont waste your money on remora, typhoons, sea clones, or coralife....if you're getting a cheap skimmer, you should pay a cheap price....the aquatrader or octo cpr knock off (the dual like you posted) will out skim the ones i just mentioned stock. but with the modifications it will do even better. i also wouldnt waste my money on the rogue, based on pics so far it is the most expensive and worst performing of the hob bunch.

and yes i am telling you that that octo knock off will not handle a 75g tank. mesh mod and 2 limewoods powered by a luft pump and i think it would.

eric

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 10/04/2007, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

actually the rogue wave is as good or a better performer (at least air draw wise) than the deltec mce600 and costs considerably less.
check out these pics:
bemudaaquatics.com (images section)
Old 10/04/2007, 03:44 PM
One Good Friend

The rogue is the best as far as pulling air is concerned....maxing out around 20scfh i would say. As far as its skimming capabilities, i'm confident in the next two weeks it will really get some good reviews. It will be the best air puller until the new aqumedic comes out.......was suppose to be out already but oh well, it pulls 30scfh! Which is amazing for a hot. And i thought 20 was great!
Old 10/04/2007, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

i have a turbofloater 1000 multi on my 75 sps tank. not what i would want for a sps tank(i am actually upgrading and will be selling it shortly), but if you are just getting just i think it would be fine.
Old 10/04/2007, 03:48 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by hebygb
Luke... OUCH! Well first of all I dont disagree that you get what you pay for... but this is a young, sumpless tank. HOB limits the options... and the thread owner also stated that he plans to upgrade to quite a bit larger. much larger than it would make sense to buy for with this current tank. I am normally a name brand biggot myself, but I also have had a Seaclone out pull a Lifereef. My bad for trying my hand at being sensitive to what I construed as a reefer with a budget.
just because he is sumpless doesnt mean his tank cant be cool.

Buy once

This Hobby should come with a Buyer beware sticker.
Old 10/04/2007, 04:29 PM
g l a s s b o x

how do you define good performer? based off of manufacturer claims and numbers? pics of water in a collection cup ? joking, but really how do you define it?

so far no one has given a review of the rogue, and fewer than 10 people own them. they claim numbers of 360 lph (fyi, mce does 400 on US voltage) but the chamber is see through.

even if it is 360lph, then clearly they are larger bubble size which makes the comparison to the deltec on air numbers meaningless. if say the deltec's have half the bubble size, which based on pictures seems about true that means it has over double the surface area to react with DOC's. so equivalent to twice the air draw of the bermuda...smaller bubbles=less turbulence as well since they will rise slower and wont interrupt the foam head. this is just a generalization, but i think you get my point.

then lets look at form- the bermuda is ugly! it puts a huge pump in your tank and so far from what we've seen, spews micro bubbles. not to mention it uses more watts, takes up more space, and i doubt as quiet as the deltec. yes it has a silencer, but the deltec doesnt even need one it's so quiet.

i honestly cant say how you can tout the bermuda so highly, when all that's been seen is clear skimmate and a lack of bubbles in the reaction chamber. i hope i am proved wrong, but it seems if it truly was a performer it would have shown its self by now.

jmo....

eric

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 10/04/2007, 05:28 PM
g l a s s b o x

i thought i would add that bermuda is now calling it a "SCHLETZ INJECTOR"...i'd like to see their patent application to really see how different it is than a "VENTURI INJECTOR".

Old 10/04/2007, 06:37 PM
One Good Friend

Flint, i would agree with you on a few points. But to clear it up the bermuda pulls 16scfh or 453lph of air with a mag3, and i'm guessing with something like an eheim 1250 it will do around 20 or 566lph air. So it does pull more air. The 390ish air or 10scfh was with an eco plus pump which is garbage. I do agree that the deltec being a NW is going to be finer bubble which = more surface area so its tough to have a nw air vs a venturi air number. But the facts are there old hot skimmer was great and this one should be better......i mean why would they build a crappier replacement! lol, but the fact of the matter is they haven't had a solid test yet and that it. We can only speculate til then. In the very top of the thread i did say a deltec mce600 would work.....your just going to pay for it and he's on a budget. I'll be getting a bermuda in a month or so just to see how great or crappy they are if no one has any info by then. And thats a laugh about the venturi name. I do have full confidence its going to be a killer hot skimmer.
Old 10/04/2007, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

i had a remora pro on a 90g and it worked good for me. it all depends on what your planning on keeping and how often you plan on doing water changes. you could go skimmer less if you did weekly changes, but thats expensive.