Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/09/2007, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

Help...eliminate vibrations

My bedroom is on the second floor above my fathers. He told me the other day that the powerhead in my 20g vibrated through the floor...and the other night i got my protein skimmer for my 75g and plugged it in, and with no suprise he said that vibrates even worse. Im guessing its because the flooring in my room is laminate. Im thinking i should had put a piece of carpet under the stands, but i didnt think about that before...and its too late now. Any ideas on how to eliminate, or atleast lessen the vibrations. The only thing i can really do right now is just the protein skimmer off a night when hes in his room...but its a hassle. TIA
Old 10/09/2007, 12:19 PM
Team RC Member

Sometimes a well placed mousepad under the return pumps helps a lot. Or replacing hard plumbing with flexible tubing. If it's only a 20 gallon tank, turn off all the power, drain the tank 1/2 way or more until it is light enough to get the carpet under it.
Old 10/09/2007, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

sorry forgot to mention, the skimmer on the 75g is a hob. I was thinking about putting some sort of padding on thetank where the skimmer sits
Old 10/09/2007, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

I have used the mouse pad trick under my return pump....worked well You might try and cut a piece of the mouse pad and place under the skimmers feet where it touches the back of the aquarium, this may also help. Good luck.
Old 10/09/2007, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

the mouse pad idea is a really good one...you could also use those rubber buttons that you can stick to the bottom of things to make them anti slip
Old 10/09/2007, 02:37 PM
Premium Member

Having the skimmer off at night is not bad, it lets the plankton swim around without getting sucked up. You can also feed your corals at dusk more effectively.

You might consider running a sump. Put that on padding and put your equipment in there.

Or... tell your Dad that you and he can switch rooms. You can then move your tank downstairs into the master suite and he can have a nice peaceful room upstairs! WIN WIN!

Ryan.
Old 10/09/2007, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

sry forgot to mention also its a fowlr.... and sump is not an option as much as i wish it was. I just switched rooms from a room that wasnt above his so im not switching again....ha my rooms bigger than his anyways
Old 10/09/2007, 05:18 PM
Team RC Member

How about those little stick on rubber buttons that you put on cabinet doors to keep them from making noise when you close them.