Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/15/2007, 12:02 PM
Premium Member

Yet another problem

Well I have another problem. It's always something. My return pump, a Ampmaster 2100, is now making all sorts of wierd noises at times almost squealing. The flow has definitely dropped. I'm afraid it's going to go at any time.

Now being the good doobie reefer I had bought a backup pump a while back before they discontinued the line. When I opened the box last night found they had shipped me a 2" version not a 1.5". Seems they had a "factory" issue and the 1.5" were temporarily unavailable. They included a 2" to 1.5" reducer as a bonus. How nice of them. However that does not fit my current plumbing. (note to self-open every backup piece of equipment as soon as it arrives and check before it's needed)

I have a couple options. I can use the reducer inverted. It's a v shape and the only way it fits the current plumbing is to glue the piece with the v inserted rather than facing out. I'm afraid that would cause cavitation and bubbles as the pressure would drop once it got through the v as the opening increases from 1/5" to 2". Any thoughts?

Other option is to just can the pump and buy a new one asap that will fit my plumbing. Since I have not gone pump shopping in 3 years does anyone have suggestions? I would need an external pressure rated pump that can take being constricted on the output that will push ~ 1200 GPH at 5' head. With 1.5" in/out so hopefully I can reuse the unions I have.
Old 08/15/2007, 12:14 PM
Moved On

I have a little giant mdc3 you can use till you work this out.
Old 08/15/2007, 12:56 PM
Moved On

The Sequence Snapper should work fine...

IT's rated @ 2400gph.. And can be reduced to where you need it to be..

Give me a call Man.. I'll help you where I can.

--paul
Old 08/15/2007, 02:12 PM
Premium Member

Paul,
I'll give you a call later.
Old 08/15/2007, 04:30 PM
Premium Member

I have a Dart and picking up a Marlin today, welcome to use either one, just lmk
Old 08/15/2007, 09:56 PM
Premium Member

Thanks guys. I think I know how to get around the plumbing. I really want to use this brand new pump sitting here. I need to think some more. The present pump is still limping along.
Old 08/15/2007, 10:34 PM
Industry Professional

Sounds a lot like cavitation, have you checked for restrictions in the intake?

I speak for myself and no one else.
Old 08/15/2007, 11:04 PM
Premium Member

No. I'd have to drain the sump and I won't have time for that till Sat. So I'll check then.
Old 08/15/2007, 11:26 PM
HELP SLOW

Phil....I have an ampmaster. The squealing is more than likely a snail shell grinding in the impellor so more than likely your have a lot of crud stuck in there. Happened to me. After you get it disconnected, take it apart and clean it out. I'll bet it will be good as new.

I have to drain my sump and also drain my ATO to get mine out. It takes me around 45 minutes for the entire process. Water will still seep out some so have a towel under there when you remove it. HTH

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE

they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.
Old 08/16/2007, 11:52 AM
Mindless Philosopher

Re: Yet another problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Philwd

I have a couple options. I can use the reducer inverted. It's a v shape and the only way it fits the current plumbing is to glue the piece with the v inserted rather than facing out. I'm afraid that would cause cavitation and bubbles as the pressure would drop once it got through the v as the opening increases from 1/5" to 2". Any thoughts?

Is the pipe on the low pressure (inbound) side the same diameter as on the outbound side? if so, then cavitation by inverting the V's at the pump necks should not be a concern, because the pressure differential between the inlet and outlet would be no different than the differential generated by your current pump.

Also, what would prevent you from removing the old pump, and transferring the impellor housing with the right size threads over to the new pump?
Old 08/16/2007, 05:22 PM
Premium Member

Didn't think of that Rob. Can you tell I've only ever had 1 pump?

Pipe housing sizes would be identical on in and out. Ok feeling better. I know what I'm doing Sat.(in addition to AEFW treamments )
Old 08/20/2007, 11:42 AM
Premium Member

You were right Kirsten. Inside were 2 snail shells, a conch shell(how did that get there??) and the remains of ah well ah... now I know where the other emerald banished to the sump went.

Everything humming right along now. Thanks everyone.
Old 08/20/2007, 06:02 PM
HELP SLOW

Good to hear. When it happened to me I had a refugium in the sump and I could not believe how many critters made their way into the pump. I was very surprised it was even pumping.

After all mine has been thru, I think it must be hard to kill an ampmaster.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE

they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.
Old 08/20/2007, 06:18 PM
Hopeless addict

Despite having baskets on all of my intakes, I am sometimes startled awake in the night by the sound of a snail going through the pump. CLACK-CLACKCLAK-CLACK!

I pull my pumps out every few months and clean them. I am glad they are easy to get to.
&nbsp&nbsp o@o&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp "\_r'
&nbsp @o|,@&nbsp&nbsp _/,_&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp >( ')
_..@@_..7il=l=@lv|e.._