Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/09/2007, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

T5 Fixture for 220G Reef

Hey All! I've seen several threads out there for these fixtures and their potential for use on high light-requiring systems like SPS and clam tanks. Here are the dimensions for my new 220 Tall- 72"Lx24"Wx30"H. Now, I am not necessarily wanting to keep SPS at this time, but I may in the future. I have been looking at a couple of fixtures so far:

Aquactinics 72" Constellation (14 x 39W T5 bulbs)
Ice Cap 60" Retrofit (8 x 80W T5 bulbs, overdriven to 100W)
Any others to recommend?

I'm leaning more toward the Aquactinics, as I have found a decent price on a refurb Constellation, but the IceCap is quite a bit more powerful. However, being new to the whole T5 concept, I have very little understanding of the T5 bulbs' wattage related to depth of light penetration and, with a pretty tall tank (30") I want to know what fixture might be best. Ideally looking to spend less than $1K and am not opposed to used/refurbed systems depending on condition.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help!!!

Gary
Old 12/09/2007, 12:00 PM
Premium Member

Here are some good threads to read and ask questions in.

The T-5 PAR thread

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=918935

and some good info here as well.

The T-5 Q&A thread

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/s...hreadid=1256520

I have the Aquactinics 72" Constellation (14 x 39W T5 bulbs) on my 125 18" deep tank.
I tried to keep a Clam once and it only lasted for abut 2 or 3 months. I don't know it it was my lighting or not but I think you will definitely need some sort of overdriven bulbs with a tank that deep.

It's best to ask in the T-5 Q&A thread. Grim should be able to help.

Anyway this is how I have my bulbs set up in my unit.

Here's my set up now: from front to back same on both sides.

(1) switch 1 on first, (2) switch 2 on second, (3) switch 3 on last.

(1) ATI Blue Pluse
(3) ATI Aquablue Special 12,000K
(2) UVL Aquasun 10,000K
(1) UVL Super Actinic
(2) UVL Aquasun 10,000K
(3) ATI Aquablue Special 12,000K
(1) UVL Super Actinic
Old 12/09/2007, 12:11 PM
One Good Friend

With 8 Staggered 60" t5's you would be fine. Thats what i would suggest. Save a few bux. Its also easy to wire up.
Old 12/09/2007, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

if you have $$$, you can go with ati fixtures. they make them upto 24" wide.

check out reefgeek for the ati fixtures.

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_...dule_Fixtures/
Old 12/09/2007, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

I second the ATI fixtures. The Powermodule line is more expensive, but if you can wait for the Sunpowers, they're about half the cost. The Sunpowers will use the same reflectors as the Powermodules. The 2 differences:

1) Powermodule has 1 fan for every 2 bulbs. Sunpower has 1 fan per fixture
2) Powermodule has a more finished look, and can be hung outside of a canopy. Sunpower should probably be hung inside of a canopy.

Take a look at this Powermodule-lit tank:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...&pagenumber=13

It's what sold me on the fixture
Old 12/09/2007, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

Catalina Aquariums just built a 72" retro for me under $1000 including shipping. 12 - 60" bulbs x 80w for a nice 960w system. Has LED moon lights a computer to set morning, night, & Day settings. Call them and ask for Jim. Here is the link:

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/

"adapt and overcome"
Old 12/09/2007, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

What type of reflectors did Catalina use?
Old 12/09/2007, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tbone28
What type of reflectors did Catalina use?
Individual German mirror polished aluminum reflectors

"adapt and overcome"
Old 12/09/2007, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

Do you have pics of the reflectors with the lights off?
May I ask the cost of your fixture + bulbs?
Old 12/09/2007, 06:46 PM
One Good Friend

The catalina reflectors are much like the new nova extreme pro. There individual but only around 1-1.5" wide. There no way near the icecap's, ati, tek, aquacintics but they are cheap as heck compared to them, and with 960w, i'm sure they work just fine for anything you would like.
Old 12/09/2007, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Do you have pics of the reflectors with the lights off?
May I ask the cost of your fixture + bulbs?
Will get one tonight for you

"adapt and overcome"
Old 12/09/2007, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luke33
The catalina reflectors are much like the new nova extreme pro. There individual but only around 1-1.5" wide. There no way near the icecap's, ati, tek, aquacintics but they are cheap as heck compared to them, and with 960w, i'm sure they work just fine for anything you would like.
It works great and they only cost me $835 for the whole system

"adapt and overcome"
Old 12/09/2007, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I tried to keep a Clam once and it only lasted for abut 2 or 3 months. I don't know it it was my lighting or not but I think you will definitely need some sort of overdriven bulbs with a tank that deep.
I keep bottlebrush and valida 30" under my t5. I also have a clam going strong at 6 months. Just about anything should have plenty of light 18" under imo. If you call the bulb manufacturer (geisemann for ex.) they will tell you thier t5 bulbs are good for a depth of 30".

I've been looking at the ati powermodules myself for my next fixtures on my new tank. I have heard very good things about the aquactinics as well. The only thing i have heard is aquac uses a slightly less quality ballast compared to some others. I have a tek fixture now and the only thing i would want to change is to have a cooling fan built into the fixture, it prolongs the life of the bulbs. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the mentioned brands.
Old 12/09/2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wvarnado
It works great and they only cost me $835 for the whole system
That's a great price - does it include the cost of the bulbs? And thanks for snapping a pic for me!
Old 12/09/2007, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
That's a great price - does it include the cost of the bulbs? And thanks for snapping a pic for me!
Yes it does include the bulbs.

Here are some pics hope they help

"adapt and overcome"
Old 12/09/2007, 09:12 PM
One Good Friend

Well, i'd pry replace the bulb's with some ati's and i bet it would be pretty nice. Clay, how long have you had that light and what do you keep under it....are you getting good growth?
Old 12/09/2007, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luke33
Well, i'd pry replace the bulb's with some ati's and i bet it would be pretty nice. Clay, how long have you had that light and what do you keep under it....are you getting good growth?
2 weeks...just upgraded my tank from 37g to 210g. Before I had t5 on my 37g I had LPS, Clams, & Anemone. Planning on putting SPS in the tank soon.

"adapt and overcome"
Old 12/09/2007, 09:59 PM
One Good Friend

Did you have catalina's on your 37g or a different kind
Old 12/09/2007, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

Wow! Thanks for sharing Clay. That's an awesome fixture for a really good price! I know Catalina may not be the most quality light out there, but I've had one of their 4x96W PC fixtures on my 65 for 3 years and it hasn't given me any trouble. I like the look of the retro fixture, but I may contact them tomorrow to see if they could custom-build a 72" fixture for me similar to their 12-bulbs Reef Cycle Hood that they sell:

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/prod...oducts_id=1564

What do you all think?
Old 12/09/2007, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clevengergl
Wow! Thanks for sharing Clay. That's an awesome fixture for a really good price! I know Catalina may not be the most quality light out there, but I've had one of their 4x96W PC fixtures on my 65 for 3 years and it hasn't given me any trouble. I like the look of the retro fixture, but I may contact them tomorrow to see if they could custom-build a 72" fixture for me similar to their 12-bulbs Reef Cycle Hood that they sell:

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/prod...oducts_id=1564

What do you all think?
That is what I did. I called Jim and asked him for a 72" version of that. Give him the dimensions of your hood and how you plan on mounting it and he'll send you one.

Do you work for Lilly?

"adapt and overcome"
Old 12/09/2007, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

Hey Clay. Thanks for the info! I'll have to ask Jim about it. Did you get an acrylic shield or fans with yours since it's retrofit?

I'm outsourced but yes, I've worked for Lilly the last 5 years!!! Are you one of our sales reps? I work mainly within Manufacturing & Quality T&D, just moved over from LCC last year.

Gary
Old 12/09/2007, 11:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clevengergl
Hey Clay. Thanks for the info! I'll have to ask Jim about it. Did you get an acrylic shield or fans with yours since it's retrofit?

I'm outsourced but yes, I've worked for Lilly the last 5 years!!! Are you one of our sales reps? I work mainly within Manufacturing & Quality T&D, just moved over from LCC last year.

Gary
No to the shield and Yes to the fans. Mine was a custom built hood so I cut a hole and mounted the fans on the ends.

Use to work for Lilly, Acute Care. Not now! Went to the small Pharma side. Cubist

"adapt and overcome"
Old 12/10/2007, 03:06 AM
Registered Member

Clay - thanks for the pics. Looks nice. Keep us posted with your coral's growth!
Old 12/10/2007, 08:27 AM
Registered Member

Clay, is your fixture high enough off the water that you don't get any salt creep on the reflectors? I had read somewhere that salt creep will essentially ruin these individual T5 reflectors and it's recommended that you use an acrylic shield to protect them. Anybody else heard this?

I was going to see about having the fixture made w/ housing, built-in fans and acrylic splash shield and then just laying it directly on top of the tank within my canopy.

Gary
Old 12/10/2007, 08:31 AM
One Good Friend

The acrylic splash gaurd really cuts down the par. I wouldn't use one.