Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 07:35 PM
Premium Member

FS: Live Rock, Sand, Monti Cap, Digitata

Quiting the hobby, last call for the following before I drain the tank this weekend and dump the remaining livestock:

Live Rock: 1 large piece, approximately 25lb @ $2.50/lb (will weigh at time of sale). It is has lots of coraline algae growth on it, 2 small monti digitata frags, a small monti cap frag, and large green star polyp colony on it. There also is some green caulerpa-like seaweed/algae on it. Maybe you have fish that will eat it, or can scrape it off. There is a lot of sand that's been kicked up on it, but, see the pictures below or come by & see for yourself:

Montipora Digitata: Mounted on a fist sized rock, good sized colony, $30 OBO

Montipora capricornis: Orange with white rim, very good sized $40 OBO

Live Sand - basic sand, $1.50/lb, bring your own bucket and we'll weigh it out.

Misc: Snails, Hermit crab, chaeto, rubble - free if you buy any of the above.

Please email minesh95814@yahoo.com or phone 916 233 8453 to make appointment, pms may not get answered promptly. I want/need this stuff gone by Saturday afternoon, if it doesn't sell its going in the dumpster. I'll be selling the hardware next, so stay tuned.

Thanks,
Minesh
Old 01/09/2008, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

This is strictly MY OPINION but telling a bunch of reef hobbyists that if no one pays your prices that your animals are going to the garbage is not very cool . I am sure that if you can't sell them for those prices you could offer them to someone new or starting out for a really good deal. I remember when you bought that rock way back when, you got it for REALLY cheap from a fellow reefer on this site. Why not use this forum to pass on the good deals? If not craigslist is a better avenue. Its the part of throwing the corals away in the trash that bothers me I guess. I hope you don't take this as a bashing but instead try and see that this is not the kind of place where telling people I will throw live items away is appreciated.
I TRULY HOPE that you sell them as it would be a major waste to see you toss them as trash. Good luck!

Last edited by pbetito; 01/09/2008 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:21 PM
Premium Member

Sorry to offend, but I've been trying to sell for a long time, but distance, holidays, my own lack of follow-up, etc., has delayed the process. I do indicate OBO, I will accept offers. I've had a lot of people flake on me and I've ended up having this tank a lot longer than I intended (not anyone from RC, BTW). If you think my prices are way too high, what would you suggest? pm if you don't want to post on an open forum. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just need to clear out the tank.

There are a few RC members waiting for hardware & dry goods (some with deposits paid) and they have been more than patient. I owe them their goods.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:25 PM
My tank is too full

I thought your prices were very fair for the corals. I was not offended by what you said. If anything, take them to a LFS.

To thine own self be true
Old 01/09/2008, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

Well....he did state that his offers were "OBO" so I'm not sure that it's fair to say that his prices are "hefty". Also, considering that I've seen most of those pieces in person, I'd like to say that these corals are actually quite large for the price and very nice in color, shape and overall health. These aren't frags we're talking about.

...I've actually had my eye on that monti cap and hope to be able to provide it with a new home myself.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eclectic Taste
Sorry to offend, but I've been trying to sell for a long time, but distance, holidays, my own lack of follow-up, etc., has delayed the process. I do indicate OBO, I will accept offers. I've had a lot of people flake on me and I've ended up having this tank a lot longer than I intended (not anyone from RC, BTW). If you think my prices are way too high, what would you suggest? pm if you don't want to post on an open forum. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just need to clear out the tank.

There are a few RC members waiting for hardware & dry goods (some with deposits paid) and they have been more than patient. I owe them their goods.
I understand the frustration with people not showing up. I also think you have the right to sell the stuff for whatever you like. I just think that maybe the frustration boiled over when you said you would throw the stuff away. I am sure we both agree it would be better to give the stuff away than to just kill it. That being said I will offer you 40 dollars from MARS raffle budget for the 2 corals as a last ditch option. If you sell them for more, all the power to you, but at least it gives you a back up plan that is better than the trash Good luck with the sale!!!

Last edited by pbetito; 01/09/2008 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Marko9
I thought your prices were very fair for the corals. I was not offended by what you said. If anything, take them to a LFS.
I hear you, and probably overreacted. I just don't see the good of tossing them in the trash. There has to be something better than that as an option. When we are talking about propogating and the good of the animals so often, tossing the stuff to die seems rash. But it is just my opinion and I have been wrong before
Old 01/09/2008, 08:35 PM
My tank is too full

Quote:
Originally posted by pbetito
I hear you, and probably overreacted. I just don't see the good of tossing them in the trash. There has to be something better than that as an option. When we are talking about propogating and the good of the animals so often, tossing the stuff to die seems rash. But it is just my opinion and I have been wrong before
You are telling me that you have never thrown away a coral before. Wow. I guess the livestock police will have to come and get me too.
Heck, I have heard of people clipping LE corals and throwing them away because they get tired of getting nickled and dimed in PM's.

Old 01/09/2008, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
You are telling me that you have never thrown away a coral before. Wow. I guess the livestock police will have to come and get me too.
Heck, I have heard of people clipping LE corals and throwing them away because they get tired of getting nickled and dimed in PM's.
I just give the stuff away if I don't want it. It seems that no matter how brown the zoo there is always someone who wants it I have never just trashed a colony though ( although accidently I have killed several) I hear your POV and I guess you are free to do with your livestock as you wish. I just think that there is always a noob who could benefit from killing it themselves
Old 01/09/2008, 08:45 PM
My tank is too full

Quote:
Originally posted by pbetito
I just give the stuff away if I don't want it. It seems that no matter how brown the zoo there is always someone who wants it I have never just trashed a colony though ( although accidently I have killed several) I hear your POV and I guess you are free to do with your livestock as you wish. I just think that there is always a noob who could benefit from killing it themselves
So true

Old 01/09/2008, 08:45 PM
Got Salt?

Quote:
I have heard of people clipping LE corals and throwing them away because they get tired of getting nickled and dimed in PM's.
If you are willing to take a total loss on them, then why not just offer them for free in the first place?
I'm lost on this one.. I don't have too many LE's but this just sounds ludicrous to me?
Am I the only one? (Besides Paul)

Again not bashing or starting a war or anything, just trying to understand the logic, since I have never been there..

I'd love the monti but just simply don't have room in my tank for a piece that big, I hope they find good homes..

Jack of all trades, and master of none.
~Steve~
Old 01/09/2008, 09:04 PM
My tank is too full

I really don't understand why it is done either. I do know that I have a frag tank full of different things. You put up 10 items for sale, 3 or 4 sale and you are left with the leftovers. It does get pretty frustrating. I just get tired of looking at them, but I am not one of those people who just throw them away.

Old 01/09/2008, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

Well, the monti cap is sold (thanks, Minh).
The digitata and live rock are still available.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I really don't understand why it is done either. I do know that I have a frag tank full of different things. You put up 10 items for sale, 3 or 4 sale and you are left with the leftovers. It does get pretty frustrating. I just get tired of looking at them, but I am not one of those people who just throw them away.
From the pics I have seen of your corals I'll take any extras you may have
Old 01/09/2008, 10:49 PM
espyesitis sufferer

Quote:
I have heard of people clipping LE corals and throwing them away because they get tired of getting nickled and dimed in PM's.
cringe
Old 01/09/2008, 11:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Unarce
cringe
me 2 ;()

anyhow i understand how you feel. i know that you don't mean to throw the corals away but its just a way of saying "i'm through with them." well that is how i felt when i dumped my first tank. i gave great deals and the pieces that were left ended up dying even after i offer the free corals. luckily it was only xenia and chaeto that was left and after it died i ended up throwing them in the garden to get recycled back to motherearth. if i had a bigger tank; Good luck on your sale.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:51 AM
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Unarce
cringe /QUOTE]

I here by will state that if any of you have anything at all to throw away, I will offer my assistance to remove the "trash" from your household!
Old 01/10/2008, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

You guys are overreacting--- i'm sure it was just a figure of speech. Just like when you have a garage sale, at the end of the day when those lonely stragglers get out of their car and you yell... Blue light special- give me any offer cause its going in the trash tonight. But you know darn well that you arnt going to throw it away- it was just a figure of speech.
Anyway, please buy his stuff as I have been waiting over a month for the tank to be empty so I can pickup the T5 lights that I payed for. hahahaha
Old 01/10/2008, 06:13 PM
Reef Cowboy

Is the cap officially spoken for or not?
Old 01/10/2008, 08:34 PM
Premium Member

Kevin,

The cap is spoken for. I am going to pick it up this weekend.

Minh
Old 01/10/2008, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

Hey, Minh. I'm right down the street from Minesh. I PM'd you.
Reagan Eileen's Daddy (11/10/07 @ 3:27am; 6lbs 3 oz; 18 inches)

Forum Etiquette:
Always ask yourself "what do I hope to accomplish by posting this" and reread it from a 3rd person view...reread and rewrite your posts...most important, be fair to your fellow reefer