Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2004, 12:00 AM
Premium Member

Doug
I recently added a couple of rocks to my fuge and one came with aiptasia. I injected it with a kalk paste (Kalkwasser + a few drops of water) and they die within seconds. It has been discussed on RC before.
Old 12/30/2004, 12:45 AM
Certified Trouble-Maker

I tried Joe's Juice and it works awesome for a couple of weeks - but then they just come back.

I added some Peppermint Shrimp to mine about 6 months ago and I never see even one Aptasia since that time. I have my one blood/fire shrimp, two skunk/cleaner shrimp and then two peppermints. They all get along famously and I never have problems with Ick, Aptasia or left over munchies under the LR...

This is off subject, but did anyone notice any LR shifting the day of the big earthquake? It may be a coincidence, but my LR collapsed during the early morning that day and it has been set up without a problem for almost 8 months...

Just curious.

Robert
Old 12/30/2004, 01:38 PM
Reef Mania

Very Nice pictures, and I very much wish I could get some nice closeups like that.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 12/31/2004, 07:32 AM
Reef Addict

i use joe's juice & they never come back u have to make sure u get them dead center on their mouth, i have never had a problem other then my skimmer going nuts for a couple of hours.
Old 12/31/2004, 09:34 AM
Premium Member

I use lime juice and a syringe. I pierce them with the syringe and squirt some inside.

You do not want to use too much Juice because it lowers your PH.

You could probably use lemon juice also but lime is what I had.

They will turn black in about 5 minutes and your shrimp will take them off for you.
Old 12/31/2004, 09:52 AM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
After this many years in the hobby, nothing is impossible.
Just checking in to let you know I'm still reading.

This is one of my favorite wake up and have coffee threads.

Last edited by Bomber; 12/31/2004 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12/31/2004, 10:22 AM
Latte Man

Welcome to the thread Bomber! We are honored you stopped by to enjoy our journey. I have followed many of your discussions over the past year and certainly appreciate all you've contributed to this hobby!

As for enjoying a cup of coffee... I'm with you on that for sure!

Happy New Year!
Old 12/31/2004, 10:41 AM
Latte Man

Quote:
Originally posted by rjwilson37
Very Nice pictures, and I very much wish I could get some nice closeups like that.
RJ: I suggest a short trip to Marc's place in Fort Worth and have his buddy Travis Staut meet you there for a photography lesson

That several hour session earlier this fall really cleared a lot up for me and taught me some simple yet essential techniques for macro photography. While I feel I have miles to go that training session helped me take a giant stride towards improved macro shots. Nothing like getting a little help from the experts!

In case you're not familiar with Travis, here's a link to his website so you can see examples of his work.
Old 01/04/2005, 04:27 PM
Premium Member

Would it be too much trouble for you to share some of your new macro-skills with the rest of us? I've noticed a dramatic improvement in your photography skills. Also, you mentioned previously something about adjusting the histogram to improve the colors. Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02/20/2005, 02:18 AM
Premium Member

HELLO Hello hello

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it"
- Henry Ford
Old 02/20/2005, 02:19 AM
Premium Member

double post...

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it"
- Henry Ford

Last edited by bulkhead; 02/20/2005 at 03:01 AM.
Old 02/20/2005, 02:45 AM
TRC Leader

They won't be back until this season of Alias is over.
Old 02/20/2005, 03:02 AM
Premium Member

or is it 24? Oh wait, they're both on.....

- Henry Ford
Old 02/20/2005, 07:59 AM
Latte Man

Marc is right; Alias, 24, Lost, American Idol... we've been sucked into TV mania Help... throw us a lifeline!

What a hoot!

All is well here in the Miannay house. The tank is coming along just fine... only routine maintenance now. Haven't changed much for quite a while; one addition (Copper Banded Butterfly for tubeworms and Aptasia), no removals. Fingers (the BTA) has been acting real strange for tha past several months. We're not sure if he's preparing to split or what... but he's just not as full he used to be. Still looks healthy and eats shrimp/clams from time to time. We'll just have to see.

The initial obsession with the hobby has clearly settled as we're now in simple maintenance mode. We can sit back and enjoy the tank without having to fiddle with it all the time... and that's a blessing. I'll take a few pictures later to show how all the occupants are doing.
Old 02/20/2005, 08:09 AM
Flounder - er

Quote:
Originally posted by dmiannay
...The initial obsession with the hobby has clearly settled as we're now in simple maintenance mode...

Does not compute!?!

Lol, good to hear from you Doug!

Go on, Click the little Red House!
Old 02/20/2005, 09:46 AM
Reef Mania

We need some latest pictures!

Here is some of my closeups in the mean time. I really don't have a camera for Macro's, but here are a few of the latest pics of my 55g reef.

The Brown Monti Cap has grown like wild fire and the Orange cap is doing very well also.

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 02/20/2005, 01:30 PM
TRC Leader

RJ, when are you going to start your own thread about your tank? I think it is defintitely long overdue! If you start one, be sure to give me the link so I can subscribe to it.

HEY DOUG! If you have all this free time on your hands to merely watch TV like the rest of us mortals, I think it is time you tackled that closed loop. Come-on, nothing is on tv on Saturday evening.

And I'm probably one of the biggest TV-holics here on RC.
Old 02/20/2005, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

Glad to hear things are still going well, I was just about to ask you to check in when I saw you had posted! Anxiously awaiting the new pictures.
Genesis 1:21 So God created great sea creatures and every living thing that moves, with which the waters abounded, according to their kind, ... And God saw that it was good. NKJV
Old 02/20/2005, 03:25 PM
Reef Mania

Yep, we need some new pictures Doug!

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 02/20/2005, 04:54 PM
Latte Man

RJ,

Your pictures are top shelf. The clarity, sharpness, and overall color are stunning! Well done! (closed loop... closed loop... closed loop)

Rather than turn the MHs back on right now (closed loop... closed loop... closed loop) I'll wait until I get home from a doctor's appointment with my daughter tomorrow afternoon to take the pictures. The montis have really grown and the zoos are steadily spreading. It is a joy to watch the tank maturing.

??? Anyone hear that incessant whispering about a closed loop. What in the heck is that all about???
Old 02/20/2005, 05:05 PM
TRC Leader

I don't hear anything. Your old age is showing.
Old 02/22/2005, 07:58 PM
Not bad, drawn that way

Doug and Cathy:
We sure miss you when you don't give us periodic updates, but I also understand how nice it is to finally get things to the point where there isn't a list of things that really need to be done and can't wait.

Not sure any true reefkeeper can just do "simple Maintenance" though. You'll have to let us know how you managed that.

I've started watching 24 this year and really enjoy it. Alias is getting old and I missed so much of LOST I'm waiting for it to start in reruns so I can get it from the beginning. How about Medium, House, CSI:NY?

Mickey
Old 02/22/2005, 10:04 PM
Latte Man

Hi Mickey!

It’s nice to know we're missed I do freely admit we were quite involved here for a good while but things have cooled quite a bit since the tank settled down.

I guess the definition of "simple maintenance" may need to be enhanced. We're not struggling with some of the difficult algae problems we had previously that required many intensive hours of meticulous scrubbing and siphoning nor are we testing the water as frequently since the parameters stay very steady for months at a time. What a relief!

Weekly mixing of new batches of Kalkwasser is routine and takes about 5 minutes. Daily feedings are routine and not cumbersome. The occasional power head cleaning is OK along with cleaning out the skimmer every 2-3 days. None of these are particularly difficult or time consuming. Once a quarter I'll shut the whole system down for a thorough overflow cleaning which takes an hour or so, but again that's only every three months or so. It really has settled down to a manageable workload that’s not overbearing.

24 is a terrific show this season… they’ve all been good as far as I’m concerned! I believe Lost is our favorite this year; the writing is superb and the casting excellent. It’s a pity you’ve fallen out of step with the season. We’ve recorded all the episodes and committed them to DVD (3 shows to a disk). I agree Alias is getting old this year. There’s no story line to speak of and I’m getting a little tired of Sydney’s obsessive hatred for Sloan. That was fun back in the SD6 days but it’s over the top this season IMHO. We’re not watching the others you mention although we do watch CSI:Las Vegas. And we decided to give American Idol a try this season and have enjoyed it so far!

Thanks again Mickey for stopping by!
Old 02/24/2005, 11:26 AM
Reef Mania

Hello Marc, Doug, Cathy.

Here is a link to my 55g tank page.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=529659

24g Aquapod
MJ 900
Standard Pump
Standard 72w PC Lighting
Old 03/03/2005, 10:12 PM
Registered Member