Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/24/2004, 02:19 PM
TRC Leader

Phil, in a situation like this, I would suggest you just got to Home Depot and buy some aluminum. You might get the rigid kind, and simply put it between the MH and the PC right in that 1/2" area, to act like a shield/heat sink. I really don't know the answer, but my guess is that that area of the PC bulb will weaken over time as it gets cooked 10 hours a day. Putting that tongue of aluminum would probably suffice.

Just a WAG on my part, but it seems logical.
Old 12/25/2004, 06:42 AM
Latte Man

Hi Phil... Merry Christmas!

After reading over your post I'm left with a question. Will the PC bulbs be in the direct light beam from the MH bulb in the "T" configuration? If it's just their nearness to one another (radiant heat issue) and the PCs will not be in the light beam from the MH then I believe that's one significant issue that will not contribute to cooking the PC bulbs. If, on the other hand, the PC bulbs are in the MH beam, significant hear will transfer.

As for their nearness to one another; as long as you have a good fan and adequate ventilation I don't think that'll be too much of a problem either.

If the "T" configuration is the preferred installation then I'd certainly go with it and possibly do what Marc suggested with some aluminum as a barrier. Anything you can do to keep the MH bulb light from directly contacting the PC bulbs is crucial IMHO.

As with Marc, this is a WAG on my part since I don't consider myself a "lighting expert". In our installation I intentionally placed the VHOs where they would not be located directly in the MH light beam since I knew it would add to heat buildup. This was a bit easier in my setup since all the fixtures are parallel with each other and the MH pendant reflector shields the VHOs.

HTH!
Old 12/25/2004, 05:16 PM
Premium Member

106 pages later!! Someone please pass the visine.

It's official. I've read all 106 pages of this incredible thread and I'm speechless (not to mention half-blind ). Most of what I'm thinking has been said by others here, but allow me a minute to reflect. First and foremost, Doug & Cathy I want to sincerely thank you both for sharing your journey with us from the start. You have clearly illustrated that patience and planning are the prerequisites to success in this hobby, and you have demonstrated an abundance of both along the way. From the brookynella outbreak with your first fish to the multiple battles with algae and bacteria, you have shown us how to overcome and persevere and maintain a sense of humor throughout.

I also want to thank Doug for responding to my numerous PMs along the way. I am in the planning phase of a 120g, and no book or LFS could have ever provided the knowledge and inspiration that Doug, Cathy and the rest of the crew here have given me. I now know when the going gets tough, the tough get busy dipping, scraping, siphoning, adding ChemiClean, etc.

Since RC is therapy for reefers, I also wanted to share with you my saga with getting started. I ordered my 120g cherry oak Oceanic RR on November 4th from the LFS, and I have yet to receive delivery on it. They keep saying something about filling enough orders before they send out a delivery truck, but I'm not sure what to believe at this point. I tried ordering the tank from other LFSs, but they all tell me it will be weeks before delivery so I guess I'll just have to be patient. I know you are supposed to go slow in this hobby, but isn't that after the rock goes in? The upside of all this waiting has been finding threads like yours and others that have completely changed my initial plans for the better. It's amazing what you can learn about in 2 months here! Also, I was planning on ordering a custom canopy from Oceanic similar to yours to accommodate MH lighting, but they quoted me $800! After doing some research, I found a thread by someone who boosted the height of the standard Oceanic canopy with some 1x6 red oak planks, added doors similar to yours and stained it to match. The project took about 2 hours and cost $30. Who knows what I'll discover in the next 2 months! Hopefully, it won't take that long for my tank to arrive.

Please keep the pictures and comments coming since your tank is destined for greatness. I hope to start a thread in the coming months and share with everyone my progress, as you have done, so that others may learn from it as well. I wish you both a very Merry Christmas and all the best in 2005.

Gratefully,
Paul

p.s. Since our setups are going to be similar, would you mind taking a look at the plumbing diagram in my gallery or in this thread? It will be a whole lot easier to fix any design flaws BEFORE the tank is plumbed. Thanks!
Old 12/25/2004, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

Any new pics for the holidays?
Old 12/26/2004, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

Marc and Doug,

Thanks for considering my problem. WAGs are sometimes the best we can come up with and sometimes they're even right! In this case, with potentially so much money at stake with bulb replacements I think I'm just going to go with the parallel arrangement. This is going in our livingroom and I can't afford the extra noise from a huge fan going while the boss is trying to watch her favorite shows. I appreciate your help with this.

How was the snow Marc?

I hope your christmas' were happy and well spent.

Regards,
Phil
Old 12/26/2004, 07:58 PM
TRC Leader

We had sleet and ice, and stayed under 32F for 80 hours straight. Driving wasn't much of an option because many Texans don't know how to navigate the bridges and icy roads, and I wasn't about to risk my life or my vehicle.

Old 12/26/2004, 08:59 PM
Latte Man

Marc,

We have the same problem here in the Atlanta area when there's ice and/or snow. Even the smallest amount and there's chaos on the roads! You made a wise choice... sit back, relax, and watch the fish!

Odds are this'll be a colder winter for these parts and they're saying conditions are quite good for a couple 3+ inch snow storms and an ice storm or two. Should be quite a lot of fun if they come to pass since Cathy, the girls, and I love frozen precipitations (playing in it, that is!).

Your picture looks great! Ice is certainly more damaging than snow. Were there a lot of power lines and tree limbs down around the area?
Old 12/27/2004, 01:01 AM
TRC Leader

The first night (Wednesday), 260 accidents were reported in the metroplex. Even police cars wrecked!

My power flickered and the electric provider came to my house to verify that all was well. Something is wrong with my current though, as I bought a digital voltage meter and half my breakers were getting 112v while the other half were getting 130v. The next day, all of them were getting 121v. The only reason I noticed is because my battery back up in one room started running from the batteries even though all my power was on, and refused to switch back to a/c current. When I moved the UPS to another room, it reset and operated normally. So I started trying to isolate the issue, but really don't have any other info to work with.
Old 12/27/2004, 08:03 AM
Latte Man

Re: 106 pages later!! Someone please pass the visine.

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Pos
It's official. I've read all 106 pages of this incredible thread and I'm speechless (not to mention half-blind ). Most of what I'm thinking has been said by others here, but allow me a minute to reflect. First and foremost, Doug & Cathy I want to sincerely thank you both for sharing your journey with us from the start. You have clearly illustrated that patience and planning are the prerequisites to success in this hobby, and you have demonstrated an abundance of both along the way. From the brookynella outbreak with your first fish to the multiple battles with algae and bacteria, you have shown us how to overcome and persevere and maintain a sense of humor throughout.

I also want to thank Doug for responding to my numerous PMs along the way. I am in the planning phase of a 120g, and no book or LFS could have ever provided the knowledge and inspiration that Doug, Cathy and the rest of the crew here have given me. I now know when the going gets tough, the tough get busy dipping, scraping, siphoning, adding ChemiClean, etc.

Thanks for the kind words Paul! Having never tried anything like this before we've truly had a unique and highly educational experience that wouldn't have been possible without the support of many here at RC! The fruits of all the work are in the other room swimming happily among the corals and LR! The beauty of a healthy (finally ) marine coral reef is exquisite! Again, thanks for the uplifting comments!

Please keep the pictures and comments coming since your tank is destined for greatness. I hope to start a thread in the coming months and share with everyone my progress, as you have done, so that others may learn from it as well. I wish you both a very Merry Christmas and all the best in 2005.

As is evident by the slowed activity here on our thread things have moved to a "routine maintenance" phase where we're finally enjoying the tank without having to always fix or correct a problem. Hence not a whole lot to say from day to day. No doubt other problems will arise as this journey progresses but for the time being we're enjoying the beauty the tank adds to our home! I'm off all week so I'll get to the pictures I've been promising. MHs come on at 10AM so I'll wait till they've been on for a couple hours and then take the shots with all the corals at "full bloom".

p.s. Since our setups are going to be similar, would you mind taking a look at the plumbing diagram in my gallery or in this thread? It will be a whole lot easier to fix any design flaws BEFORE the tank is plumbed. Thanks!

I'll go take a look a little later and get back with you via a PM.
Old 12/27/2004, 08:12 AM
RockStar

Old 12/27/2004, 03:11 PM
Latte Man

Pictures... Finally !!!

I took some time today to get new pictures of the tank and occupants now that we've been algae-free for a couple months. Seems we're ready now to begin introducting new occupants in the days to come. Enjoy the shots!

continued...
Old 12/27/2004, 03:12 PM
Latte Man

Old 12/27/2004, 03:17 PM
Latte Man

And the New Obsession for 2005....

This is a lot off topic for this forum but in addition to the new tank pictures I just had to share another new occupant in our home... my long-awaited espresso machine and grinder to help feed my insatiable hunger for exquisite coffee! There's nothing like sitting quietly watching the tank while enjoying a piping hot latte. It just seems right to me

(I did manage to get the end of the tank in the picture )

Old 12/27/2004, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

closed loop!! ha ha, couldn't resist -- looks good and I am happy for you two, it is great things are starting to come of age - just remember not to add too much and overwhelm the system.
Old 12/27/2004, 03:50 PM
TRC Leader

Your pictures are really looking good. Travis paid off, didn't he?

Hey, I installed that closed loop for ya.

Old 12/27/2004, 03:56 PM
Latte Man

Yes, Travis definitely paid off big time. I can't believe in retrospect how simple the techniques really are and how much better they make the pictures. That was time very well spent!

And thanks for the closed loop. When I saw you post I ran into the livingroom and the PHs were gone!

How did you do that ???????
Old 12/27/2004, 03:59 PM
TRC Leader

After this many years in the hobby, nothing is impossible.
Old 12/27/2004, 04:04 PM
Premium Member

Very Nice Doug!! Glad to see everything coming along!!! Those zoanthids are incredible! That cap is looking good also!!

Click the red house above to visit my thread
Old 12/27/2004, 05:33 PM
Premium Member

Doug, thank you for the new pictures and the plumbing advice. That tank and your photography skills are coming along nicely. Hey Marc, when I get set up, can you beam a closed loop into my tank too?
Old 12/27/2004, 05:53 PM
TRC Leader

Old 12/28/2004, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

closed loop closed loop closed loop You guys are a hoot!

I like what you've done with the tank Cathy-Doug, it looks great! Mac and Dell have gotten huge!

Doug, does that coffee maker mix salt as well?

Regards,
Phil
Old 12/28/2004, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

2 days of almost constant reading.. 106 pages of excitment and all I can say is WOW, Amazing... Hope someday my setup will look that great.
Old 12/29/2004, 04:57 PM
Premium Member

Doug,
Looking great. I've been following this thread for a long time. Thanks for sharing.

Question on the 2nd photo (i think it is with the green monti), the anemones looking critter to the left, is that aiptasia? if yes, what are you doing to remove?

btw, nice looking expresso machine. Enjoy. I also have grinder and a pump type expresso machine and I love both.
Old 12/29/2004, 05:01 PM
Premium Member

I was actually going to suggest the same thing. It looks like the aiptasia on my rock.
Old 12/29/2004, 11:18 PM
Latte Man

Quote:
Originally posted by AJtheReefer
Doug,
Looking great. I've been following this thread for a long time. Thanks for sharing.

Question on the 2nd photo (i think it is with the green monti), the anemones looking critter to the left, is that aiptasia? if yes, what are you doing to remove?

btw, nice looking expresso machine. Enjoy. I also have grinder and a pump type expresso machine and I love both.
Hi AJ: Yes it's Aptasia and I'll remove the rock sometime soon and scrape them off with a bristle brush. We've never tried Joe's Juice and will avoid doing so as long as the rocks with Aptasia are easily removable. Should they crop up somewhere that's far more difficult to access then Joe's Juice will likely be the solution.

And thanks for tagging along with us. I appreciate your words of encouragement!