Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which is a better tank?
Biocube 29g 26 74.29%
Nanocube 24g 9 25.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01/01/2008, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

BC29 or NC24

Planning on purchasing either the Biocube 29 or the Nanocube 24, both with mods from Nanotuners on lighting and refugium.

Pros and Cons for each?

Thanks...
Old 01/01/2008, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

Bump for the night folks...
Old 01/01/2008, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

Well both will be upgraded from nanotuners for lighting and refugium, The only thing I can think off to compare is the size. Go with the 5 more gal. Biocube.
Old 01/02/2008, 12:50 AM
Registered Member

True, the additional size is a nice benefit of the BC over the NC.

I am also looking more for which is designed better, which is better as far as heat, which has more room in the back chambers for a refugium, etc.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

Also, can anyone comment on the things they like about the Biocube vs the Nanocube?
Old 01/02/2008, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

Anyone ever own both?
Old 01/03/2008, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

ttt
Old 01/03/2008, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

I only have the bc 29. I have not had the nc24. Unfortunately, I didn't do much research, and went with the 5 more gallons. Had I researched, I'm thinking the Red Sea would've been better, albeit a heftier price tag.

My only problem or complaint thus far with the bc is the lack of room in the chambers. I'm assuming Oceanic didn't build them for us to "mod" them, but still, the spaces are tight. It was tough just getting THEIR protein skimmer back there if you still wanted to run the carbon pad.
Indigo Dotty/tr
2 button polyp
gsp
candy cane
zoa
ricordia rock
open brain
5 turbos
5 hermits
30 lb ls / 27lb lr
Old 01/05/2008, 12:50 AM
Registered Member

I was thinking about the red sea max, but I just dont like the idea of an all-in-one that has all the electrical equipment built in.

Any more opinions?

Thanks for all the votes thus far.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:10 AM
Premium Member

I just bought and set up a 29 BC today. Can't beat it for $229. I plan on keeping with lower light filter feeders. Transferring stuff from my other existing tanks, I have a sea apple, zoos and shrooms and plan to add sun corals and gorgorians to the tank. I have a RBTA in there too just to see how it fairs. So far, I really like it. Very tidy and I can switch the actinics, 10K and moon lights all separately with my Aquacontroller Jr. I didn't want to run a skimmer as it usually adds unwanted noise and vibration not to mention maintenance. The only thing I did was remove the bioballs---otherwise I am running it stock for awhile. I may add an extra powerhead but flow is not bad without it. When it first started up, there was fan and waterfall noise but raising the water level in the back compartments and running for a few hours have quieted everything down. There looks like there is room for a Kent Float valve in the back compartment for automatic top off. Something for me to investigate.

One thing I really like about the BC is the front opens up really wide. I can get my arm in there and move stuff in and out without lifting the top off.

Last edited by mobert; 01/05/2008 at 01:21 AM.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

Thanks mobert!
Old 01/05/2008, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

I’ve been running a BC29 since the end of August. No complaints, but nothing else to compare to. My first saltwater tank and still learning.

Just installed a CPR SR3 skimmer yesterday. So far, just blowing micro bubbles in the tank. We’ll see how that goes. Was running it stock with the bio balls in until yesterday. Also recently upgraded the lighting to four 36W PC bulbs.

Stopped using the stock filter pad long ago. Just use the frame with my own floss.
Old 01/05/2008, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

How do you like the 4x36 lights?
Old 01/05/2008, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

You can tell the difference in light. I thought the tank looked bright before. But now if I cut back to just the 2 lights it looks dull to me.

I think the lighting is going to be one of those things where you always want more.

I’m experimenting with some SPS & LPS in there right now. So far so good.

Had a Hydropora in there before the upgrade. It was looking kind of weak. Within a day after the upgrade it looked much improved.

Not the greatest pic. A Little far away. But this gives you some idea of where I’m at.