Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/10/2007, 10:34 AM
Respek!

Question Recommendations: 24" 150W MH + 2x24W T5 Pendant

So I decided I was going to get a 6x24W Fauna Marin UltraSolaris and make a custom case so I could hang it as a pendant - turns out they're having problems with keeping the temperature down on this unit so they're redesigning it and it will be a few months before it is distributed. Strike one.

Then I decided I'd buck up and get a 6x24W ATI Powermodule. The Canadian distributor doesn't sell these fixtures any more according to J&L Aquatics. Directly emailing Proline Aquatics (the Canadian distributor) has lead to zero replies. Strike two.

So I tried Reef Geek. Sure, they can get one but it's going to take around 3 months for it to land at my door step in Vancouver. I've been planning this little 24x24x18 tank for 7 months and 3 more months just isn't acceptable. Strike three.

So here I am now looking for a nice 24" 150W + 2x24W T5 pendant after abandoning the notion of a full T5 pendant. Any suggestions?

"mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 11/10/2007, 11:52 AM
Moved On

Have you looked at the Aquactinics TX5 or the SLS Tek2 6x24w?
Old 11/10/2007, 12:10 PM
Respek!

Yes, I've looked at those fixtures CruzinKim. The Aquactinics fixture looks like a feeding trough and I won't buy a T5 fixture like the Tek with Workhorse ballasts and no active cooling. Additionally, SLS doesn't make a 6x24W Tek fixture (only 4x24W) and Aquactinics only makes a 5x24W TX5. Hence the reason I was looking at some higher quality fixtures like the Fauna Marin and ATI. But they're a lost cause so I'm now looking for an HQI T5 combo pendant.

I should also mention that this is for an SPS dedicated system (see below in my signature).

Last edited by Canadian; 11/10/2007 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11/10/2007, 12:33 PM
Moved On

The Giessman Infiniti is pretty cool looking, but 250w by 4x24w. I'm not sure if anyone makes a 150w anymore.
Old 11/10/2007, 12:38 PM
Respek!

Giesemann makes a 230 Eco/Plus 150W HQI + 2x24W T5.

This is the light I was likely going to choose but I wanted to see if there was anything else out there.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...ct~GL1213.html

Old 11/10/2007, 08:43 PM
Respek!

Anyone else?

Any strong feelings one way or the other on the Aqua Medic Ocean Light 150 Plus? (just found it while doing a search online but I'm having trouble finding an online retailer)

Last edited by Canadian; 11/10/2007 at 08:52 PM.