Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/24/2007, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

WOW, right on with all the information and detail in your posts. Love the Monti Cap, it is definately one of my favorite type of encrusting stonies. Looking good so far and Happy Holidays
Old 12/24/2007, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pbukow
WOW, right on with all the information and detail in your posts. Love the Monti Cap, it is definately one of my favorite type of encrusting stonies. Looking good so far and Happy Holidays
Pbukow, thank you very much for the compliment. It is very much appreciated. Happy Holidays to you to.
Old 12/25/2007, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

? about tunze skimmer

Thanks for all the informative posts on your jbj 28g hqi system. Does the tunze skimmer interfere with the waterflow out of the nano cube? It looks like the skimmer blocks the overflow.

Thanks in advance
Steve
Old 12/26/2007, 02:38 AM
Registered Member

I have followed your set up, and it looks great. Thank you for all the information, it has been very informative.

I have a 12 gallon jbj with the Nanotuners 70 watt MH, and dual 18 watt actinik mod. It works great although I have an algae problem. The glass is constantly growing green alge, so I am looking into a fix. I was thinking of a calcium reactor and a uv sterilizer. What is your thought, and how do you like yours?

Is your Precion Marine calcium reactor an Effluent Chamber?

How is your UV Sterilizer working, is it to much? I was thinking of a 5 watt sterilizer.

Thannk you for your help,
Adam
Old 12/26/2007, 09:37 AM
Registered Member

Re: ? about tunze skimmer

Quote:
Originally posted by sgschwartz
Thanks for all the informative posts on your jbj 28g hqi system. Does the tunze skimmer interfere with the waterflow out of the nano cube? It looks like the skimmer blocks the overflow.

Thanks in advance
Steve
Sgschwarz, thank you for the compliments on my JBJ 28 gallon Nano Cube HQI SPS Reef Aquarium thread. The Tunze Nano DOC 9002 Protein Skimmer does not interfere with the water flow. Their is a small 1/8 Inch opening that cannot be seen that allow the water to flow through nomrally. This has not resulted in me having to incoporate a method to throttle down both return pumps from the Nano Reef Aquarium.
Old 12/26/2007, 09:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavish62
I have followed your set up, and it looks great. Thank you for all the information, it has been very informative.

I have a 12 gallon jbj with the Nanotuners 70 watt MH, and dual 18 watt actinik mod. It works great although I have an algae problem. The glass is constantly growing green alge, so I am looking into a fix. I was thinking of a calcium reactor and a uv sterilizer. What is your thought, and how do you like yours?

Is your Precion Marine calcium reactor an Effluent Chamber?

How is your UV Sterilizer working, is it to much? I was thinking of a 5 watt sterilizer.

Thannk you for your help,
Adam
Lavish62, thank you very much for the compliments. I actually am not running a Calcium Reactor on my system. The Precision Marine Fuidlized Bed Reactor is an acrylic chamber filled with Marin Fauna Carb-L media whichis powered by a Power Head installed within the Far Left Baffle of the Rear Chambers on my Nano Reef Aquarium. As for my Ultraviolet Sterilizr I'm using a 25 watt Aqua Ultraviolet Sterilizer that is also powered by a Power Head installed within the Far Left Baffle of the Rear Chambers on my Nano Reef Aquarium. I'm nearing or exceeding over 1 watt of Ultraviolet exposure per gallon of water. Needless to say this dissemates any free floating algae spores, bacteria both good and bad literally anything that goes floating into the chamber. No I have my own personal theories on this which I shall explain later on within the thread but Ultraviolet Sterilizer can indeed assist in keeping algae down.

No to address your algae issue. I personally would not recommend incoporating a Calcium Reactor within your setup. Since it will not assist at this point in removing unwanted nuisance algae. Algae usually starts to rear it's head which their are increased amounts of nutrients and particular chemicals that is feeds of present in the water column. Why don't you answer these questions for me and we can go from this new point.

1. Are you utilizing RO/DI Freshwater to use for your Synthetic Sea Salt mixtures?
2. What schedule are you following for your water changes?
3. What photo-period are you exposing your Nano Aquarium to?
4. What feeding schedules and amounts are you following?
5. What chemicals are you dosing?
6. Are you using any methods to reduce phosphates and are you testing for phosphates?
7. What type of nuisance algae is growing within your aquarium? Exmaple: Hair Algae.
8. What does you clean up crew consist of?
Old 12/26/2007, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

Thank you for the quick return. I was interested in the calcium reactor for my SPS. The sterilizer for the algae. Really the alge isn't a huge problem, just green algae on the glass. I also though t it help clear the water up as well.

1. I am using RO/DI water for mixing and top off.
2. I change 3/4 of a gallon once a week
3. I run the lighting from 12-9pm.
4.I feed the fish once a day either Spectrum thera pellets, cylopes, or mysis shrimp. About a 1/3 of a cube.
5.I use:
Kent Marine Phytoplex 2 ml
Kent Marine Calcium buffer part A+B 2.5 ml
Salifert all in one 2.5 ml
6. I do not check for phosphates at this time.
7.The alge is just on the glass and really isn't a huge problem.
8. My clean up crew is doing a great job controling the aqua scape. Maybe I need a few morre snails.
Old 12/26/2007, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

Are you using the Precision Marine Reverse Flow Substrate Reactor 13.5 Inch Tall? From Marine depot?
Old 12/29/2007, 05:25 AM
Registered Member

A Sad Day In My World of Reefkeeping.

I'm extremely dedicated in the maintenance required to have a thriving Nano Reef Aquarium and it is definitely heartbreaking to come across an issue directly related to a common task in the Reek Keeping hobby. I normally don't have to clean my glass of Algae but I do so just to remove even the finest film that may adhere to the Internal Pane. I use a Mag-Float Small which is rated for use on Glass Aquariums up to 30 gallons with a maximum pane thickness of 3/16 Inch. Now at the time of my cleaning my Photoperiod had ended and the damage that was created was not noticable until the next morning. When the lights came on I could see multiple abrasive marking on the Internal Pane of the Aquarium Glass.

Photograph - Abrasive markings left behind after the use of my Mag-Float Algae Cleaner.

After a minor breakdown of sorts I reviewed some forum searches and found that scratching Nano Aquarium Glass is more common then you would think and not isolated only the JBJ 28 gallon Nano Cube HQI Aquariums. But nothing was described to be near the level of damage that I experienced. In turn I contacted Transworld Aquatic Enterprises Inc. and advised them of the situation. I explained that the possibility for a grain or multiple grains of substrate being caught between the Internal Mag-Float and the glass could not have caused the abrasive marking since the pattern clearly depicts the bottom of the Mag-Float and that I never keep my Mag-Floats within my Aquarium. The Mag-Float is also removed after use and before use I make sure that no foreign objects exist that could possibly cause something like this. After a supervisor reviewed the photographs Transworld Aquatic Enterprises Inc. advised that they are sending me a replacement Aquarium. Which is both a blessing and a curse. It is scheduled to arrive on January 07, 2008 and I will set it up shortly after.
Old 12/29/2007, 05:36 AM
Registered Member

wow, that sucks that it happened. Thats crazy that the mag-float could even scratch the glass. My mag floats barely even cut through the algea, you'd think it'd be impossible to scratch the glass.

Glad to see that Transworld is taking care of you.
Old 12/29/2007, 06:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ke6guj
wow, that sucks that it happened. Thats crazy that the mag-float could even scratch the glass. My mag floats barely even cut through the algea, you'd think it'd be impossible to scratch the glass.

Glad to see that Transworld is taking care of you.
Ke6guj, my sentiments exactly. I couldn't believe my eyes!
Old 12/29/2007, 06:48 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you for the quick return. I was interested in the calcium reactor for my SPS. The sterilizer for the algae. Really the alge isn't a huge problem, just green algae on the glass. I also though t it help clear the water up as well.

1. I am using RO/DI water for mixing and top off.
2. I change 3/4 of a gallon once a week
3. I run the lighting from 12-9pm.
4.I feed the fish once a day either Spectrum thera pellets, cylopes, or mysis shrimp. About a 1/3 of a cube.
5.I use:
Kent Marine Phytoplex 2 ml
Kent Marine Calcium buffer part A+B 2.5 ml
Salifert all in one 2.5 ml
6. I do not check for phosphates at this time.
7.The alge is just on the glass and really isn't a huge problem.
8. My clean up crew is doing a great job controling the aqua scape. Maybe I need a few morre snails.
Lavish62, I would personally reduce your photo-period and increase your snails. Everything else seems normal. That should reduce the amount of Algae on the glass.
Old 12/29/2007, 06:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Are you using the Precision Marine Reverse Flow Substrate Reactor 13.5 Inch Tall? From Marine depot?
Lavish62, that is the unit the I am using. I'm planning on purchasing 2 more at least.
Old 12/29/2007, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

Jason, I have to say you write some very informative entries in this thread. Also, I'm sorry to read about your recent problems with the magnet. The upside is that you were able to get everything handled and taken care of. Obviously the transition will be a slight pain, but nothing compared to a company that wouldn't work with you. So, its a semi win/win.

Thanks for all the info you've provided and I'm looking forward to seeing new additions!
Old 12/29/2007, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chorethorious
Jason, I have to say you write some very informative entries in this thread. Also, I'm sorry to read about your recent problems with the magnet. The upside is that you were able to get everything handled and taken care of. Obviously the transition will be a slight pain, but nothing compared to a company that wouldn't work with you. So, its a semi win/win.

Thanks for all the info you've provided and I'm looking forward to seeing new additions!
Choretheorious, thank you very much for the compliments on my thread. I do aim to be as highly informative and detailed in my post so that I can keep information from being misinterpreted. I am happy as well that Transworld Aquatic Enterprises was willing to work with me to resolve the issue at hand. Also at first I thought that I lost 2 months of progessive and had an large task at relocating everything from one Aquarium to another but I now view it as an oppotunity to improve on my setup and document more information in further detail.
Old 12/29/2007, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

Excellent thread….
Old 12/29/2007, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mksalt
Excellent thread….
Mksalt, thank you very much for the complimens on my thread. It is very much appreciated.
Old 01/01/2008, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jasonanatal
Pbukow, I currently don't use any supplemental flow within the Display Area of the JBJ 28 gallon Nano Cube HQI SPS Reef Aquarium. I'm sure that later on I can upgrade the pumps if necessary to Tunze Master Recirculation Pump 1073.030 which has an adjustble flow from 300 gph to 1,000 gph.
Will the Tunze 1073 fit this tank? That would be most excellent news!

Great thread btw.
Old 01/01/2008, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sammy33
Will the Tunze 1073 fit this tank? That would be most excellent news!

Great thread btw.
Sammy33, thank you for the compliments on my thread. It is very much appreciated. Now as for the Tunze Master Recircuation Pump 1073.030 their website shows the dimensions as (4.0 x 3.5 x 2.95) but does not specify which is Height, Width, and Depth. I an not home right now to take actual measurements but if my memory serves me correctly it would be a tight fit if any. I would recommend contacting Tunze Customer Service +1 (512) 833-7546 or E-mail: tunze@sbcglobal.net in order to get the exact measurements for this pump. Also the documentation does not specify whether these pumps can be operated on a Wavemaker which is another concern you may want to bring up. The JBJ 28 gallon Nano Cube HQI comes with the JBJ Ocean Pulse Duo Wavemaker which can be set to switch between the two pumps in intervals as low as 10 seconds. But the last thing you want to do is break two Water Pumps each costing about $140.00 plus. If they do fit it would be a great upgrade and would complete any necessary circulation for this type of aquarium in my personal opinion.
Old 01/02/2008, 12:13 AM
Registered Member

I measured the pump Section - 2 3/8 x 3 1/2

The largest pump I have found that fits the 28g NCHQI is the Rio HF6. I have these running on a short interval on my ReefKeeper2. The Ocean Pulse was causing an issue with my ATO on power ups - both pumps would come on until you reset the timing to zero and back! This was causing the back area water level to drop and trigger my ATO to dump in more water than needed. The RK2 solved this and allows me to set a longer switching interval between the pumps.

I think I will order a pair of the Tunze's and see if they fit the 28g NCHQI. If they don't I can use them on my other setup.
Old 01/02/2008, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sammy33
I measured the pump Section - 2 3/8 x 3 1/2

The largest pump I have found that fits the 28g NCHQI is the Rio HF6. I have these running on a short interval on my ReefKeeper2. The Ocean Pulse was causing an issue with my ATO on power ups - both pumps would come on until you reset the timing to zero and back! This was causing the back area water level to drop and trigger my ATO to dump in more water than needed. The RK2 solved this and allows me to set a longer switching interval between the pumps.

I think I will order a pair of the Tunze's and see if they fit the 28g NCHQI. If they don't I can use them on my other setup.
I have the same issue when restoring power such as after a water change. But I just unplug the ATO during the water change and plus it after I have a chance to set the Ocean Pulse Duo Wavemaker from Constant to 10 second intervals. I hope they the pumps fit.
Old 01/02/2008, 01:05 AM
Registered Member

Excellent job...Very clean, it's exactly how i want my new nano. I have a couple questions..
1. what did you use to attach that monti cap to your LR?
2. Did you use anything to join the LR together? As in like building the aquascape(glue, clay, etc.)
Sorry about those scratches, you were just about to stock it : (
Old 01/02/2008, 01:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by i2go
Excellent job...Very clean, it's exactly how i want my new nano. I have a couple questions..
1. what did you use to attach that monti cap to your LR?
2. Did you use anything to join the LR together? As in like building the aquascape(glue, clay, etc.)
Sorry about those scratches, you were just about to stock it : (
i2go, thank you very much for the compliments. It is very much appreciated. I used standard Marineland Bonding Putty to contruct the structures within my JBJ 28 gallon Nano Cube HQI SPS Reef Aquarium. As far as the Montipora Capricornis I used pegs from the Boston Aquarium SPS Frag kit and Glue to Bond the frag to the peg. I had the benefit of the Rock structures having many holes and gaps that I'm using to my advantage.
Old 01/02/2008, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

damn, sorry about the scratches. talk about taking the wind out of your sails. on a lighter note, I bought my girlfriend a 24 dx this christmas, and she mentioned getting a mag float cleaner. ill make sure she doesn't, sooo you may have saved her tank!
Old 01/02/2008, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sk8rreefgeek
damn, sorry about the scratches. talk about taking the wind out of your sails. on a lighter note, I bought my girlfriend a 24 dx this christmas, and she mentioned getting a mag float cleaner. ill make sure she doesn't, sooo you may have saved her tank!
Sk8rreefgeek, well in a couple of days I should have my replacement which I'm crossing my fingers does not get damaged in transit. But I'm glad that my misfortune has been able to warn you of possible things to come. Let me know when you get everything setup. Thank you for reading my thread.