Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saltwater Enthusiasts Association of Springfield
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/12/2007, 04:32 PM
Soup Nazi

Talking SEAS Reborn - May 5th!

If you can’t tell from my prior posts, I’m not one for protocol or procedure, so I’m throwin’ this out to see how many fish bite…

[pretend like I sound like the “monster-truck rally guy”]

Saturday! Saturday! Saturday!

The Saltwater Enthusiasts Association of Springfield (SEAS) celebrate Cinco de Mayo, boys and girls!
Ok – we’ve established two things… a date (Saturday, May the 5th) and that this even may have some Latino/beer flare! I’m thinking that the SEAS can buy some sort of SUPER CHEAP Mexican foods and unless there are any objections and make this a BYOx (x=margarita, corona, etc) event. I think all of us can act responsibly and keep this to social drinking – not binge drinkin’! I think we could get enough flour tortillas, tacos, and hamburger meat to feed around 10 folks for under $20. If anyone wanted beans, guacamole, etc – it could be BYO as the SEAS has done in the past… You’ll even get a high five from yours truly if you wear a sombrero.
Where? Let’s gauge this with an RSVP thing… as it stands MY house (only 1100 sq ft INSIDE) is fine if it’s 10 or less folks showing up (and the weather is nice) – if there’s more than that, let’s accept volunteers to host the event – this could include LFS.
What could we do? With all the new faces I saw at the last frag swap, a LOT of time could be spent MEETING each other and socializing. As far as something reef-related we can do... How does homemade reef-food sound? We can each bring something to add to the blender - and the SEAS could buy one or two "pricier" ingreidients...
We (the SEAS) have got a super tiny treasury left – so let’s try to show our stuff once before the June 2nd frag swap at Aquatics & Exotics. If the frag-swap is to be a SEAS/Fewell’s A&E collaborative thing, I would personally like to see THAT event be the one where we start collecting dues. This sort of thing could help A&E and SEAS both at once. I think that after some on the spot math and BS’n with Matt, the SEAS could buy some products/gift certificates to raffle off to all those who enrolled in SEAS.
With new official members after the June swap, I'd like to see us vote on/fill remaining official positions within the SEAS ranks. John Kelly is and will remain or Treasurer. We still need a vice-president, a secretary, etc. Jason and Patrick have both made mention of their web-design abilities - I think that our forum here is GREAT for communicating with each other, but an updated SEAS site with recent pics of members tanks and a calendar of upcoming events would be nice.

Please POST any suggestions/ideas
Old 04/12/2007, 05:07 PM
Premium Member

I would like to apply for the VP position or atleast be considered and oversee web design and development. I'll pay my dues next time I see John!

I'm no HTML master, I have always used templates, but I'm sure I could find one and design a pretty nice site using FLASH 8. I'd put some money into this along with possibley paying for a Vbulleitein license since I have heard you guys have had problems with phpBB in the past.
Old 04/12/2007, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

what is the price of the dues Ha ha my wife is mexican
Old 04/12/2007, 06:22 PM
Premium Member

$20 a year
Old 04/12/2007, 06:49 PM
Premium Member

I found something pretty nice for a really cool website. Let me know if I can do it and I will start working on it. I don't wanna jump the gun though.
Old 04/12/2007, 07:24 PM
Premium Member

Oh, yeah the RSVP thing. I will be there.
Old 04/12/2007, 11:40 PM
Registered Member

Dues?

Don't know if I will be home for this? But would like to become member. Where to sign up, pay dues?
Old 04/13/2007, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

My social drinking is binge drinking
Old 04/14/2007, 12:48 AM
Goniopora Aficionado

Julia and I will be there. We have a blender and small amounts of quite a few different foods to add. We'll bring some raw shrimp too.

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaun120
My social drinking is binge drinking
Ouch! That makes my head hurt just thinking about it.
Old 04/14/2007, 08:12 AM
Soup Nazi

Alright! I'm glad to see that this thing is getting wings...

The Soupys are very close to the intersection of National and Sunshine. From that intersection travel north (towards MSU) a couple blocks and hang a right on Stanford. The first house on the left (that is on Stanford) is the Soupy home. The house number is 1211 - I'll park my vehicles a few houses away - as parking space is limited.

I am by no means trying to get out of hosting - as If it's nice out, Ive had 20+ people here without issue - but if anyone with a larger place is just itchin' to host this event, feel free to volunteer.

For now though, we have this established:

What is happening?
SEAS Cinco de Mayo celebration/Reef-Food throwdown
Where is it?
Soupy's Place (mainly on his deck/backyard) (1211 E Stanford)
When is it?
Saturday, May 5th (duh!) How's 2pm - one of us gets seriously hurt in a freak alcohol related blender/frisbee/seafood/palythoa toxin accident...

Who'll be there? What're we bringin'?

1. The Soupys (maybe I can convince the wife and kid to brave out a "fish-nerd" meeting). I've got a blender that we can TAKE OUTSIDE. Ask any old-school SEAS folks about WHY we do this outdoors... I think I'll try to get my hands on some frozen cyclopeeze - I'll throw in like 1/2 of whatever chunk I can get my hands and maybe some garlic extract. Whatever food, drink we have we can take out on the deck (assuming the weather is nice)
2. Patrick I(?) is bringing over some website ideas.
3. The Kellys are bringing a backup/secondary blender (for the margaritas?) They are also bringin' some raw shrimp as well as a few other foods to spice up our reef-food.
4. The MAYBES:
Steve Q - swing by if you're in the area!
Letysjim - if you do swing by, see if your wife has any good, cheap, authentic recipes she can send our way - I LOVE the food from South-o-the-Rio-Grande!
Shaun - as long as you can show that there's SOME blood in your alcohol steam before you go you can swing by!

Last edited by SoupySteve; 04/14/2007 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04/29/2007, 12:50 PM
Soup Nazi

April Wrap Up???

Yeah, that sounds official enough…
:taps mic:
I just wanted to throw this at the group that posts here on RC:
It would appear that April will be known as a cruddy one for most in the 417 area code when it comes to the Saltwater Enthusiasts. But let’s hope that the up-coming Cinco de Mayo / reef-food get together puts us off on a good resurgence for a group of aquarium nerds.
At the lowest common denominator, competition only helps one group – the consumers. Now that FA&E is no more, we will have fewer options to get livestock that we can SEE when we buy and/or dry goods we can take home immediately. Matt is also very nice and would let me BS his ear off – and I can appreciate that. I was more than happy to buy the things at his store when I bought them – and it is sad to see him closing. I wish you and your family luck.
I was also happy to see that (at least here in this forum and to my knowledge) Matt avoided the “internet drama” there at the end that was out for RC members/posters/lurkers/etc… to see. I guess the only good thing that happened was that the kettle was allowed to boil over… I really did drop my head, exhale and mutter curse words, then laugh that although we ALL profess an addiction to keeping ‘lil biotopes simulated in our homes – yet, otherwise we are so diverse that although we share an interest in such a relaxing and mellow hobby we can have members internet-jawing. I already feel as though I’ve sunk too low even when addressing how silly “internet drama” appears to those NOT PRIVATELY involved… I was glad to see Agu drop in and close that thread.
I even had a Saltwater Enthusiast [jokingly] ask me in a PM if we should allow certain folks in the same room together. I’m not too lenient when it comes to adult misbehavior in my home. Those who cannot behave in a civil/cordial/encouraging manner NEED NOT RSVP. If there’s gonna be Mexican food, possibly some social drinking (let’s keep this PG-13 at least), and a blender, we need to be in a good mood.
I haven’t started looking at how the weather is supposed to be on the 5th, but I have started cleaning up the ‘ol back yard a bit more. My 110g won’t be a lot to look at, FWIW.
One thing I’d like to do to keep our group’s purchases “public” and up to the group – so I’m just going to show all those who attend that although SEAS funds will be used for food – we won’t be getting lean veal-burger for the tacos, etc… Everyone who attends should bring something to throw on their tacos/goes well with tacos/and something we can throw in the seas goop blender for our frozen reef-food.
On the agenda ( ) will be collection of dues (if anyone cares to – as I plan to start asking folks to pay for dues in June); discussion of future SEAS events, makin’ some Mexican grub, talking aquarium talk, suggestions for vice-pres and web-design positions (if applicable???), and then makin’ some nasty stuff that should be something to eat on Fear Factor (or whatever it’s called).
I assume that the RSVP list is the same as above? If not – POST on this thread

Last edited by SoupySteve; 04/29/2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04/29/2007, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

I will donate a Blender.
Old 04/29/2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Probably not a good idea to Rim the Margarita glasses with SEA-CHEM Reef Salt?
Old 05/02/2007, 06:08 PM
SEAS President

I would love more than anything to be there, but I have to work friday night, and saturday night... so it would be rough for me to make it... I am however looking forward to meeting everyone at the frag swap. I think I have things just about lined out for it. I am sorry I will not be able to attend. Drink one for me!

Jason
Old 05/03/2007, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

Well I see the What (SEAS get together), the When Sat May 5th around 2pm...but Where?

Maybe I missed it...

If the weather is going to be bad I could probably tidy up my crib and have peeps over. Ask Travis about the ole' basement, it will do! I will just need notice.

However, I would rather mess up SoupySteve's place
Old 05/03/2007, 03:47 PM
Soup Nazi

You missed it dude - you drinkin' already???

My street address is 1211 E Stanford. I am two blocks north of the intersection of National and Sunshine - just go East on Stanford. My house is on the North side!
Old 05/03/2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

North side...I won't be drinking then! I'm lible to get shot or something.

...and NO I'm not drinking...YET!

P.S. - I am not a drunk...YET!
Old 05/03/2007, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SoupySteve
What is happening?
SEAS Cinco de Mayo celebration/Reef-Food throwdown
Where is it?
Soupy's Place (mainly on his deck/backyard) (1211 E Stanford)
When is it?
Saturday, May 5th (duh!) How's 2pm - one of us gets seriously hurt in a freak alcohol related blender/frisbee/seafood/palythoa toxin accident...

Now I don't want to split hairs but...with your location of SW Missouri and address of 1211 E Stanford, doesn't narrow down the cities/towns much.
Old 05/03/2007, 09:12 PM
Soup Nazi

FWIW, I stand corrected. But you are a hair splitter indeed!
Old 05/04/2007, 09:05 AM
Goniopora Aficionado

So what is everyone bringing for the SEAS Reef Food??

We are bringing:
Raw Shrimp
Frozen Cyclopeeze
Several packages of Hykari foods.
Other assorted small foods.
Some Sea Veggies.

Blender if needed.
A 2 liter of soda or two.
Some chips.
Old 05/04/2007, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

I will not be bringing anything for the fish food, since right now I have no need for it. I will help make it, hopefully without having it explode all over me. Or maybe I'll watch someone else battle with the Blender. I do have an additional blender for making fish food if we need another.

I am bringing desert, and beverages for myself.

Is there something we are lacking?
Old 05/05/2007, 10:13 AM
Soup Nazi

Hey gang. I'm happy to see that it looks like we'll have a GREAT day for outdoor activities!
I just got a call from Steve (Kb0vhy) and he's bringin' the adult content for the margaritas!
TriggerJay PM'd and won't be attending, but I thank him for the PM
I ran to Wal-Mart and picked up the following:
Cuervo Strawberry and traditional margarita mixes, margarita salt and plastic cups for our beverages!!!
5lbs of 80/20 (I hope that doesn't mean 80%beef 20%other ) burger, an onion, some tomatoes,refried beans (not responsible for cinco de mayo cheers from your rears), lettuce, big thing of salsa, sour cream x 2, and cheese.
I've got Dr Pepper, Orange Mt Dew, and several of three different Michelob "fancy-schmancy" beers from a previous gathering...
I dragged a table from my living room out on the deck - and the extension cord to my outdoor plug-in is nearby.
I was thinking of grabbing a few more fresh/nifty SEAS food items - but maybe someone else could swing by EAST EAST on Cambell? They have Nori and from time to time (or so I've heard) you can buy fresh exotic raw things... squid, octo, etc...
If anyone has been PMing each other about trades, etc... maybe you should throw some of your reef-related things from your "junk-drawer" - you all know you have one - in your car as well - just a suggestion.
My 2 yr old and wife will be here until they get fed up with hearing too many scientific names...

Even if our turn-out is low, there will be a great concentration of reef-knowledge and love for the hobby AKA Reef-Nerds
And I was motivated to do some late Spring Cleaning around here!

Hope to see you here!

Last edited by SoupySteve; 05/05/2007 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05/05/2007, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

My wife and I will drop by for awhile. I am close to East East, so I will drop by and see if they have anything.

Sea everyone then...(yes I meant to spell it that way)
Old 09/23/2007, 06:37 PM
Soup Nazi

someone should un-sticky this