Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/21/2007, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

Wanna follow my build from scratch??

I will be updating this as often as possible. Right now I have my stand for my tank almost complete! The tank I will be setting up is 58 long x 41 wide and 20 tall.
Here are some pictures of where I am at now. I cant really say what direction I am going with anything, just doing everything on the fly and jumping the hurdles when I get to them! I have been saltwater-less for about 6 years and now deciding to get back into the hobby. Hopfully doing this thread I will get positive feedback from members and more than that, I am hoping to get great ideas of stuff I might be over looking and make this the best tank it can be!!!!!
Here is a picture of the tank "The spark that lit the FIRE!"

This Is the room and the stand I have been working on. Sorry dont have any mid-construction pictures. I was so wrapped up in the work didn't take any other than this. The glass seen on the stand to be is new pains for the front and the right side of the tank. Those were the only two pains of glass that I wanted to be replaced. This tank was bought used and if I wanted this to be perfect for me - I didnt want ANY marks on my main veiwing angles of the tank when complete!

And now to where I am at now. I recently went out and bought a nice legdestone veneer and tile to match and went to work again!

I hope to get many comments and ideas look forward to hearing from you members!!!!
Old 08/21/2007, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

wow...looks good already...the tank will good up there...
Old 08/21/2007, 11:17 PM
Knows Victoria's Secret

I like that stand with the stone! Are you planning on making doors for it?
Old 08/21/2007, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

Looking good
2 * Korlia 4
Aquamedic Calcium Reactor 1000
Red Sea 50mg Ozonizer
Old 08/21/2007, 11:44 PM
Registered Member

looks great!
Old 08/21/2007, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

doors?

No doors that I plan on. What I think I will do for the bottom is-

1. where you see the opening on the left side under the stand, The right side looks the same and planning that it will be boxed out tiled and maybe used as storage for supplies. Or a place to put a calcium reactor or some thing along those lines in there.

2. The bottom of the stand will be tiled off like the top and my plans are to have another tank (100 gallon or so) as a filter slash refugium type tank.Electic wise: Two plugs were installed on both the right side and left underneth the stand also. Tried to think ahead with doing the plugs. I also put two above the stand on each side too. Cant ever have too many places to plug something in. lol Still picking out what to tile the floor with also.
Everything I plan On doing I want to be kind of showcased and make even the little things likes pumps and things want to be seen. Hope I said that right, I want to paint a picture of what I intend to do?
Old 08/22/2007, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

Now that is one cool DYI, Tagging along here.
What would be kind of cool would be to see some type of waterfall that goes into your sump eliminating SOME use of PVC plumbing. Not sure if it's possible but it would go along with your theme you have going here.
Old 08/22/2007, 12:55 PM
Moved On

wouldn't it be crazy (with all that sparks and fire talk from you, bulldog), if there was an actual fireplace underneath the tank???
Old 08/22/2007, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by argetni44
wouldn't it be crazy (with all that sparks and fire talk from you, bulldog), if there was an actual fireplace underneath the tank???
Crazy is a good term for it....others would call it a clam bake
Old 08/22/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

Talking so happy

So happy to here all the kind words so far and would like to take the time to say- THANK YOU!
The waterfall Idea has crossed my mind so many times. Not only cause it would look cool, But my reason would be that it might be a good way to cool the water and maybe even a good way to oxygenate the water by falling down the rocks?
Theres only a couple of factors that hold me back.
1. I wouldnt want any foreign substances accessing the tank via the waterfall. I have a 5 year old and a 5 month old. I dont know if you all have kids but I found the more you preach to keep hands off or away from something it seems to magnetize them to it!
There still might be a waterfall in this tanks future.

2. I think it might be hard to keep clean? I wouldnt want to come into my room to see my snails and crabs cliff diving! lol.

Well I have been working on the bottom of the stand today. Tonight I will post a mid-construction of what I got done today.
Old 08/22/2007, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

Re: so happy

Quote:
Originally posted by ambulldog615
So happy to here all the kind words so far and would like to take the time to say- THANK YOU!
The waterfall Idea has crossed my mind so many times. Not only cause it would look cool, But my reason would be that it might be a good way to cool the water and maybe even a good way to oxygenate the water by falling down the rocks?
Theres only a couple of factors that hold me back.
1. I wouldnt want any foreign substances accessing the tank via the waterfall. I have a 5 year old and a 5 month old. I dont know if you all have kids but I found the more you preach to keep hands off or away from something it seems to magnetize them to it!
There still might be a waterfall in this tanks future.

2. I think it might be hard to keep clean? I wouldnt want to come into my room to see my snails and crabs cliff diving! lol.

Well I have been working on the bottom of the stand today. Tonight I will post a mid-construction of what I got done today.

#2 I see your point with the kids and the snails cliff diving, lol.
Maybe you can have some type of strainer too filter anything that tries to go down the waterfall, And maybe some type of clear shield like an acrylic shield that gaurds anything from going into it plus you would be able to see the water action??? Well you have alot to work with, I wish I had that much space. Good luck!

Cheers, Jay.
Old 08/22/2007, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

11pm 8-22-07

Here is what I got done today.
Bricked the back wall under the stand, boxed off the left side of stand for storage space, and started getting some tile up. Have to save the tiles to be cut for tomarrow.(baby sleeping) It looks bright under there in the picture cause I have a shop light mounted so I can see in all these tight spaces.
More pics to come as more gets done.
Old 08/23/2007, 05:32 AM
Premium Member

That is awesome. Love the rock and tile work. Very unique.
Old 08/23/2007, 07:48 AM
Premium Member

Great concept!!! This looks like it should be a show tank in a Zoo. I cant wait to see your Aquascape Ideas. It would also be cool to have some tropical foliage and meandering ivy-type plants incorporated into the design of the stand to bring out the "natural" theme, almost as though it were a Mayan ruin.

Love it!!!!!!!
Old 08/23/2007, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

Yeah!! Super Awesome.. You must stand there at the end of the day, and stare and be like.. " DAMN I'M GOOD!! "

Seriously though, very inspiring, and I am new to this hobby but it is things like this that remind me how much I love this stuff and I probly wont stop at just my 40g.. hehehe

Good stuff and I will follow this thread till the end.
Old 08/23/2007, 09:28 AM
Premium Member

Did you remember to put suitable electric services under there

Looks like a wooden floor. Any chance of adding plumbing for RO/DI, top off and a drain?

Keep us posted on the progress.
Old 08/23/2007, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

Dam* cool
Can't wait to see it up and running
Old 08/23/2007, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

Dam* cool
Can't wait to see it up and running
Old 08/23/2007, 10:28 AM
Wish coral grew faster

What a great looking stand, very nice work.
Old 08/23/2007, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

electricity

Thanks everyone for the great feed back! As this thread goes I will try to repond to all......

1. BeanAnimal - As far as the electricity goes, I made sure where ever I thought I might plug something in, There would be a plug for it. There are no plugs in the plug boxes yet, But under the stand there is a plug on each side. I think in the last pic I posted you can see some yellow wires hanging. That is where one plug box is and there is another in the same place on the other side. There are also 2 more plugs on each side of where the tank will be on top too. 2 dedicated circuits were ran for each. One circuit for the top plugs and one for the bottom plugs. AS for the floor, It is cement.
I am doing this build in my basement. No wood floor. Before my other son was born I use to have a computer room up stairs and needless to say it got turned into a babies room. So when my new computer room was built downstairs the thing I wanted most next was a fishtank.
This same thing happened once before when my 5 year old was born but I was forced out of the hobby (6years) cause we were in a different house, smaller with no basement or room for my old system. So it was pieced offf and sold. Now we've had a new house built and been in it for 2 years now. And it is that time I get back into the hobby!

2. jstraka1- That is a great idea with the plants. I was thinking about plants but more on the lines of mangroves.They just take so long to grow. I like your idea! It would give the look like a "Mayan ruin" like you said. Thanks- now I cant wait to get to that stage of the build!!!

This is exactly what I was hoping for, Some great visionaries giving me some great ideas!
Old 08/23/2007, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

you have any stand constrution pics?

it looks amazing...but it looks like you used 2x4's for the front beam? is that going to be enough to hold up that monster tank? which btw has incredible dimensions..

off to an awesome start...
Old 08/23/2007, 12:44 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the reply. Yes, 2 dedicated circuits will certainly help.

Did you run 12/3 to each box or (2) 12/2 runs? I ask because you may want to break them out into individual dublex GFCIs. I would advise against running GFCI breakers. A nuisance trip will bring down the hole tank (or at least whatever is on that circuit).
Old 08/23/2007, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

construction of the stand.

NanoReefWanabe- Sorry, I dont have any pics of when the stand was being built. All 4x4's were used for the structure of the stand. Only due to all I was doing to it. I am pretty sure 2x4's would have done just as good as job supporting just the tank. I just have more peice of mind doing it with 4x4's. The only thing 2x4's were used for was for boxing in purposes.

BeanAnimal- I just ran 12/2 runs. Thanks for the advise on the breakers. I havnt gone out to get any just yet and will keep that in mind when I do.

Well today is looking like another tile day. If I get the time I will be boxing in the right side storage area and hopfully get to the point where I might grout some too. I got to start slowing down some! The closer I am looking to completing the stand the faster I wanna go, But on the other hand the faster I go, The more money I spend and the broker I become.lol
I will post more pics when tile is all done.....
Old 08/23/2007, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

that looks awesome.cant wait to see it complete
Old 08/23/2007, 06:43 PM
Nature is my valium =)

What a unique idea, it looks great so far!

I do have a question for you: With all that tile and stone detail around the back of the stand I'm assuming you're not painting the back or one side of the tank so that the work will remain visible. How are you going to keep the back and side glass panels clean?

Params: Sg 1.026, Alk 11 dKH, Ca 440, Mg 1450, Ph 8.4, Temp 80*F