Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Connecticut Area Reef Society (C.T.A.R.S.)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/23/2007, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

Engergy Effecient Pumps

Does anyone know of any companies that make Engergy Effecient Pumps for High FLow & High Head Pressure. Looking around 1 HP pump size.
Old 06/23/2007, 10:18 AM
Coral Killer

How many GPH are you looking for? 1hp pumps are all a bear on juice, a Sequence hammerhead uses about 350 watts and is good to 23ft.
Litermeter III,PCX-70 pushing 2 Eductors,Geo 624 Ca Reactor,125 sump, Dart Return
Old 06/24/2007, 03:27 AM
Premium Member

Don't ask for advice based on pump HP since HP has nothing to do with pumping water.

What flow rate do you want and what is your head height?

I love sequence pumps for their reliability and flow at low head (they still make flow at high head, but efficiency drops quick). At high head the higher RPM chinese pumps tend to be more efficient.

For example - I need abuot 600 gph between my tank and by basement sump. From the pump intake in the sump (on a stand) to the top of my display there is about 10 feet of head and about 13 feet of total tubing.

I am running a GenX PCX-30. It is cheap, loud as hell, and pulls about 95 watts. I emailed back and forth with sequence, and they don't make a pump that can beat those watts with that head height.

Please be clearer with your requirements. Does it need to be quiet? cheap? what gph? actual head height? actual total tubing? what diameter tubing?
Old 06/24/2007, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

I am looking around 3000 gph and max head height of 45', thats going through 1 inch tubing.

I am currently using Pentair Lifeguard seahorse 1HP.
Old 06/24/2007, 07:40 PM
Coral Killer

Check out a Sequence Manta Ray
Litermeter III,PCX-70 pushing 2 Eductors,Geo 624 Ca Reactor,125 sump, Dart Return
Old 06/26/2007, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

You are not going to find that flow rate thru a 1" pipe. If you do, the pressure on the pump will be tremedous. Just look at the "high flow pump" on the Seq. pump with a 1.5" discharge. The other pump they list require a 2" discharge. The same one (can't remember the model) states the warranty is only for 1 year, not the normal 3 year. There is a reason for that. IMO I think you need to look at 1.5" to flow 3000 gal. I use the Seq. hammer head with a 1.5" discharge. I'm currently designing a 2" system since I see the down fall with the 1.5". It's better to go with 1.5" instead of 1". This way you can always increase the pump without changing out the plumbing.