Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: so am i crazy or would this work?
you ARE crazy 2 40.00%
you are NOT crazy and this sounds awesome! 0 0%
idea is good and will work but you are still crazy! 3 60.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01/03/2008, 12:36 AM
Registered Member

Question Will This Work? Or Am I Crazy?

right now i have a 75g display tank on a stand that houses another 75g tank below it. the display tank i have set up as a reef and is drilled in the bottom back corner goes into the tank below, and pumped back up.

heres what i am thinking, Surround the pump tightly with live rock (only small gaps) and use a HOB skimmer (octopus-100) so i can use the tank below as a FOWLR. this would be somewhat temporary until i finish off the 90g tank and buy a second skimmer, pumps, LR, sand ect. heres what i already have: two percs and Volitan lion (in the same tank) and what i was thinking:

tank 1: 2 percs, small gobies, fire fish, crabs, shrimp ect (i want a lot of small)

tank 2: Volitan lion (3"), zebra moray (48"), lemon peel angel (4")
Old 01/03/2008, 12:58 AM
Registered Member

I would not plum the lion/moray tank in to any thing else if you feed live food, I think if you do you may have Ammonia trouble?

You may be better off just using the one as a fuge. or go FOWLER in the top and feed the heck out of the em.

(EDIT) I did not vote, I disagree w the options, I would pick ,................It will work if done right..... But not a great idea. (because of fish choice)
Fishies.. 2 perc. clowns @ 1.5", cromis 1 @ 1", PJ cardinal 2 @ 1.5", Blue hippo tang 1@ 1.5", Star goby 1 @ 2.5", Yellow watchmen goby 1 @ 1.5", Fire fish 1 @ 2.5" Inverts. CB large, Cleaner shrimp 1 @ 2.5", Peppermint shrimp 5 @ 1" to 2", Naz snails 10, A few large snails

Last edited by Cope; 01/03/2008 at 01:25 AM.
Old 01/03/2008, 01:01 AM
Dance 4 Life

What happens if there's a power failure?
Old 01/03/2008, 01:26 AM
Premium Member

You're basically considering housing a few large fish and a portion of your live rock in the sump - I think if you're careful, it's very doable.

I'd section off the pump completely - not only do you want to keep your fish away from a strong pump, you also need to be able to keep the pump clean (you don't want a shrimp that you're trying to feed to the lion ending up in your pump's intake) and be able to remove it for maintenance. You could easily make a 'cage' for the pump from eggcrate and cable (zip) ties to keep the fish out, without impeding flow, and you could disguise it with rockwork.

If you also section off a section for chaeto (refugium), it will help absorb nutrients and offset the predators' messy diet.

Keep the water level lower than normal, in case there's a power outage - in other words, continue to treat the tank like a sump in several ways, and I think you'll be okay -- especially if this is only temporary. I'd suggest you hold off fully stocking the 'upstairs' tank until the 'downstairs' residents have moved out, so you don't overload the system.
Old 01/03/2008, 04:24 AM
Registered Member

just so you know, my lion eats anything. including formula 1. in a power failure..... i am just as screwed as i am now. maybe hook up to a generator from work if it got to be a long time.

i didnt think the preditors had that messy of a diet because the lion and zebra both eat their food whole.
Old 01/03/2008, 05:23 AM
Registered Member

I'd use one of the fish seperating devices to not only seperate the pump, but also limit the amount of water it can return, incase there is error.

What your doing is very doable, just keep up the maintence.

JMO

I've plumbed a few tanks together in my day.
HIS OPINIONS COURAGEOUSLY AND HONESTLY