Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture

Old 11/19/2007, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

Irregilar shaped frags on the frag shelf - how to improve

After downsizing, I moved frags from 20g long tank back into the main 90g tank, on the frag shelf along the back, it's inconvenient to have the same at the front.

Some frags are growing on the rubble rock, irregularly shaped, less - on the 1" marble tiles.

Result is a mess: I compacted them, as I could. The bad look of the frags - this is the first day after re-aquascaping the 90g, they were without heating and water flow for hours.

I can't put part of the temporarily on the floor - interferes with cleaning, and don't see the way to attach them to existing rockwork: or stinging corals will be close, or I have to put then on the almost vertical surface.

Super glue gel doesn't hold - if touch them during the siphoning, frags drop down.

What can I do to improve the situation?

If there are no place for these frags in the tank, I'll trade them in LFS, but they have to look presentable.
Old 11/20/2007, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

it kind of looks like the water is constantly flowing in one direction, with strong current. Try a wave making device, like wavemaster pro, and move one of those powerheads to the other side of the tank
Old 11/21/2007, 07:56 AM
Registered Member

I'll try to do something about it, the 20x turnover is necessary to keep red slime off, but it bothers fish (lion), that is going to hide. So flow was directed to the top.

With previous powerheads location, flow on the back wall was strong too, only from the center to the sides. The photo is small, but recognizable, anthelia in the center is smashed flat:

Do you know the wavemakers, least expensive, but still doing the job?

Thanks.
Old 11/23/2007, 02:03 AM
Registered Member

scwd
Old 11/23/2007, 07:33 AM
Registered Member

Mmm, I have problem with frags placement on the shelf - or too much frags, or their shape prevent fit them tightly, and now hermits or snails are dropping them down every night.

But not the flow.
Corals grow well, and the flow is made to bother the least a lionfish in the tank.

By the way, I returned the second powerhead in opposite corner - now worse, the frags are flattened in the middle of the shelf, and lobo disapproves this flow. Not too much options left.

Anything about arranging frags on the shelf or a place you see for them in aquascape?
Old 11/26/2007, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

Make a little fence around the frags? Can't be too difficult. Use your imagination.
Old 11/26/2007, 11:09 PM
Premium Member

Yeah you could do this with some acrylic strips about 2"-4" high, drill holes in them and zip tie them to the egg crate.

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me
Old 11/27/2007, 06:25 AM
Registered Member

Good idea! Thanks, I didn't thought about it.
Old 11/28/2007, 12:32 AM
Registered Member

I cut a strip of eggcrate 2 squares wide and as long as the shelf and zip tied it to the side, makes a one square high fence.
Old 11/28/2007, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

Thank you! Already have eggcrate, but not yet - acrylic. Will do this.
Old 11/30/2007, 03:27 AM
Registered Member

something like this, you don't need zip ties just build another one and then transfer everything into that one I used marine goop silicone and let it sit overnite very strong have a look.... Also if you build another make it slighty wider!

Old 11/30/2007, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

Looks really neat!
How the holders are attached - Marine Goop to the side fence of the shelf? Is there some support under the bottom?

I did once with the bottom support , using zip ties, result was unsuitable for a display tank

Wider shelf - it will shade the corals on the rockwork, right?

Thanks!
Old 12/06/2007, 03:15 AM
Registered Member

I built it a little long on the hight and believe it or not just used screws to the canopy now I can adjust the height up or down as for holding it together it's firm the measure ments I used was 14in long by4in wide for the bottom sides were 2in wide by 14in long and 3in by2in for the ends the part nearest to the side of my tank is 10in long by 3in wide x2 it all interlocks into each other and glued 1 piece at a time never underestimate silicone heck it holds your tank together this may seem confusing but it's really easy!
Old 12/06/2007, 08:36 AM
Registered Member

Thanks! Love the silicone idea. Only no canopy on my tank - pedants only, but this are details.
Old 12/11/2007, 10:21 AM
Premium Member

Eggcrate fencing

That is a great idea! I'm off to start "fencing"!