Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2007, 01:47 AM
Registered Member

*Fragging HELP*

I all

can some one please help me frag this coral?

Old 01/05/2007, 02:00 AM
Registered Member

Oooh, that's a nice un! Too bad your overseas - i'd love a frag!

Most of the encrusting LPS like this, are fragged simply by hammer/chiseling off polyps.

Personally I prefer to take the dremel to them using a 1 3/8" diamond wheel, undercutting an area (taking less than 1/4" of rock) then trimming carefully across the top - trying to keep whole polyps as much as possible. this way the colony continues to grow outwards at a 'normal' pace - as I've found in the past when one takes a big hunk off the edge, it seems to radically slow growth (I'm guessing it's more of a lighting issue - that cut edge is hard for the coral to grow around)

Excuse the bubble algae (frag tank blew a seam - all got moved into this tank which was a fowlr) but here's a picture of a favia I fragged with this method august/sept. Took about 1" from the circumference of the colony.
Old 01/05/2007, 02:05 AM
Registered Member

Thank you very much, yes i was lucky to pic up this coral in a shop here.

Do u place the chisel in between the polyps as such, there where it looks liek they join and just take off 2 or 3?

you can imagine how scared i am fragging this coral seeing that its rather rare color.
Old 01/05/2007, 02:09 AM
Registered Member

Depends on the fragger - honestly these are hardy corals... Short of heating them up too much it's hard to kill them.

Not sure how the hammer/chiseler's do it - I would assume they chisel under then try to neatly trim between polyps.

Do they require extreme care/attention to frag correctly - no - if you tossed it at a concrete floor and shattered the rock, you'd likely have many frags (not that I would try such things )
Old 01/05/2007, 02:14 AM
Registered Member

Oh really.......mmmmmm

i really didnt know they where so hardy.

sorry for asking all the question but do i then attatch the frag to a rock with superg glue gel or elastic band?
Old 01/05/2007, 02:15 AM
Registered Member

Superglue or underwater epoxy
Old 01/05/2007, 02:26 AM
Registered Member

thank you.