Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum

Old 07/11/2004, 08:31 AM
Registered Member

Zeovit chemistry question..

HI Dr. Ron,
I have been reading all kinds of posts on the Zeovit Method, and am interested in trying it. My question is ; if you have heard of these systems and if there is any scientific proof that these zeolites can reduce docs and other nutrients in the water column? From what I have seen the system is pretty pricey, so I'd like to know I'm not wasting my money on another quick fad. I am thinking of trying this method to help reduce valonia inmy tank. Pjosphates always read 0 but valonia keeps coming. This tank used to run without a skimmer (3+years). NOw I skim like crazy as I have gotten into sps. Any help deseminating some of this zeovit info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07/11/2004, 09:38 AM
Registered Member

[moved]
Old 07/11/2004, 04:56 PM
Reef Chemist

My understanding is limited, but I understood that the zeolite acted primarily as a substrate for bacteria that consumed the nutrients.

I do not know if it can be used to outcompete valonia.

What have you used up to now in the way of nutritent export?

These articles suggest many ways other than zeovit:

Phosphate Issues
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...t2002/chem.htm

Nitrate Issues
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...t2003/chem.htm
Old 07/12/2004, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

Up to now I have used protein skimming outside power filter with phosphate resin and carbon, and water changes. Tank has a 3" sand bed and a large clean up crew. Corals do well and all params are quite good. Some fluctuations here and there but nothing extreme or dangerous. Phosphates always read 0 seachem test kit. My understanding is that phosphate is used by algea before it can be tested reliably. Therefore test kit is pretty much useless imo. Am just now doubling my water change routine to 18 gal per week (75 gal tank). Up to now the valonia hasn't bothered me much, but it is crowding out a goniapora I have had and grown for over 5 years and it doesn't look good. I have reduced my feedings but my clean up crew is starting to cannibalize themselves and they attack my sun coral after it feeds and tear his flesh right off. So I am now somewhat concerned. Thanks for the links and I will now look into them and write back.
Old 07/12/2004, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

thank you for the links they were quite informative.From what I read I have a couple of questions.
1. My tank ran for 3+ years without a skimmer and did well till one day the valonia showed up around year 2.5. I subsequently added a protein skimmer and a fluid sand bed filter. The substrate at the time was coarse coral gravel, about 1 inch. I have since added 3" of aragonite sugar sized sand. Could the layer of gravel at the bottom be harbouring all my undesirable phosphates?
2. If yes than should I remove this entire sand bed. B. How do I do that without harming mmy corals and fish?
3. Could this sand bed also be harbouring nitrates?
4. The valonia is very hard dense grassy material that doesn't even come off when I have bleached rocks from the tank. Do I need to get rid of my rock that has valonia to really be rid of it.

I do plan on putting the fluid filter back in service but was thinking of useing it for zeolite or maybe even purigen. Or would the regular sand media siffice to reduce doc's and phosphates?
Thanks in advance for your help...
Old 07/12/2004, 02:59 PM
Reef Chemist

My understanding is that phosphate is used by algea before it can be tested reliably. Therefore test kit is pretty much useless imo.

There's nothing necessarily unreliable about it. It is just that algae are very good at scavenging phosphate, and hence the use of algae in refugia. However, if you had significant levels of phosphahte, then that would give you an idnication that the phosphate problem was even more severe.

If your test kit could read at low levels, you'd see the phosphate levels, as would also be true using the zeovit system.
Old 07/12/2004, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

With the info I provided would it be prudent to assume that the sand bed has binded phosphate in the aragonite and therefore in my best interest to remove it?
Old 07/12/2004, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

Also if I were to take a sand sample and mix it into a tank water sample. Mix and let the sand settle and them remove and test this water. Would this give me an accurate idea of the bound phosphate in my sand bed?
Old 07/13/2004, 07:02 AM
Reef Chemist

It seems all the rage to blame sand beds for varous problems. I don't know if it has appreciable bound phosphate or not, or whether it is contributing the the algae problem in a net positive or negative way.

For folks that have had very high phosphate levels in the past, sand and rock can bind appreciable amounts. When the phosphate level has not been greatly elevated, I am not sure it is an issue.

FWIW, valonia is a difficult algae to eradicate.

Have you tried biological methods? Like an emerald crab or something else that eats it?
Old 07/13/2004, 07:54 AM
Registered Member

Yes I have 4 emerald crabs in my tank. 100 other various types of crabs and about 50 mixed species of snails. Too many crabs....They cannabolize each other and some of the corals. The bubble stage of valonia has been eradicated. Where I used to have tons of bubbles I don't really have any in my tank for quite some time. It is the thick hair phase of this aglea that I cannot seem to get rid of. I asked about the bouynd po4 as I read in the sps threads about it. Both you and Dr. Ron seem to agree that bound po4 in my substrate being leached back into the water column is extremely unlikely. I am just a little concerned about the algea as I am getting a larger reef and dont want this algea to be transplanted to the new one with the rock. I live in Canada and the idea of purchasing all new rock for a larger system is way out of bugdet. I guess I will just give it more time. Thank you. ONe more thing, this tank does not have a sump (the new one will have this tank as its sump) but I do run an outside box filter for po4 resins and carbon. Could I use it for macro algea and if so would something that small be of benefit for po4 export?
Old 07/13/2004, 10:29 AM
Reef Chemist

Macroalgae is a good nutrient export, although the more you have the better it will compete with the valonia.

I'd suggest searching through RC for what folks have done for valonia before going the zeovit route.
Old 07/15/2004, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

jaden1, unfortunately, ZEOvit won't be able to control your valonia problem. Like Randy suggested, try some of the (more or less) proven natural predators.
Old 07/16/2004, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

Ger, I am also interested in the other aspects of the zeovit system, such as, low nutrients and excellent coral coloration (zeospur2). I am still trying to sort through all the info on different threads on your systems. Would like to mod my pentair aquatics fluid bed filter. I know that no filter system is going to get rid of the valonia, but I am seeking a way to keep a very low nutrient tank and still be able to feed my fish and non photosynthetic corals (which eat almost continuously. Thank you.