Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/12/2007, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

Aquaculture Advice. Would you do it again?

I’m getting tired of the 9-5 grind and am looking for a new career… something I enjoy doing for a change. Been crunching numbers on an aquaculture facility and would like some advice from those of you who have done it. I’m not looking to get rich and from the numbers I’m getting and from what I have read, I don’t have to worry about that.

It appears that the volume required to make a profit in the retail/e-tail market would require too much labor… i.e. boxing and shipping small orders and customer support would be labor intensive. I am leaning toward a mix of high end corals wholesale to regional LFS and e-tailers. Target is 500 pieces per month at $30 each. This would require a substantial initial investment but should produce some profit in the second year of operation.

Here are some things I am struggling with.

Start out big or small to get my feet wet first (Pun intended). If I start small, the initial investment would be minimized and I would have time to build up my brood stock. I could sell a small volume to local hobbyists and some e-tail to offset costs. Starting small I would not see any significant profit for several years.

Greenhouse vs. brick and mortar. From what I have read, a greenhouse is required to increase profit. My numbers just don’t seem to show that. It seems any cost savings realized by using natural light is quickly eroded by increased heating and cooling costs, primarily heating. I am leaning toward a BM facility and DIY LED lights supplemented with MH or T5 as needed for best color and growth. The LED lights would require a substantial initial investment but the breakeven point should be about 2.5yrs considering the lower energy cost and no bulb replacements.

If you had it to do over, would you? What would you do differently? Any advice?
Old 12/12/2007, 10:24 PM
Premium Member

Look up the 'steven pro green house' build on google.

He's figured a lot of stuff out and documented EVERYTHING.

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me

Last edited by JaredWaites; 12/12/2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12/12/2007, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

I've read it as well as many others. They are very informative and I have been inspired by these people and their efforts.

My question to those that have done it, "Would you do it over again knowing what you know now?" In other words, is it worth the effort and expense?

Jack
Old 12/13/2007, 12:26 AM
Premium Member

Well from what I'm gathering from you is, if your looking to make money. Go big or go home. I know its blunt but its real life If you want to fool around with pocket change than do it on the side...but if your trying to make a steady income get ready to have some money to get you buy in hard times.

Focus on fast growers. I have a list I've been gathering of fast growers so I can remember them all as my head has enough stuff in it

Also try to focus on some specialty corals, and other color morphs as they'll bring in more cash.

You sound kinda scared to make the leap, its a big decision leaving another job for something you don't know if it'll pan out.

Having a high post count doesn't necessarily show intelligence or knowledge, it simply shows you just talk a lot. - Me
Old 12/13/2007, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

Been a lurker here for awhile and just thought I'd add a little.

A good place to start is by doing a google search for the anthony calfo 'coral farming' video if you haven't already. Its about an hour and a half long but well worth it if that's what you're considering doing it. You'll have to do a lot of thinking and planning if its what you really want to do though. Also, expecting $30 a piece for selling things wholesale is probaly a little more ambitious than what you'd actually be able to get but you'll compensate by producing more each month. Perhaps a few of the veteran farmers will chime in but this should at least give you a place to start.
Old 12/13/2007, 09:37 PM
Coral Farmer

You better plan on 10 to 15 $ per unit. Not 30. Even very high dollar corals will not get 30 per unit.