Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/26/2007, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

question on ribbon eels.

i jsut got a ribbon eel off of another reefer, he told me it was blue but when i got it it was black (yes it eats). anyways my question is can eels go backwards in there color morph? i know juviniles are black then turn blue when they're older (male) and then to yellow if they change to female.

my question can you go backwards in color becuase its sold black with a yellow strip down the back when he said its vibrant electric blue with yellow...

or did for some odd reason was i lied to?
Old 10/26/2007, 10:55 AM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Location: Boca Raton or Tallahassee - Florida State University
Some fish do change color when stressed, but I'll let someone else chime in specific to this instance.
Old 10/26/2007, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

ya i know that much but he's jet black. not even like a hint of blue. but iv only had for 2 days o far.. how long will he be dark if it was stress? he seems happy and fine in my tank already has a burrow and everthing
Old 10/26/2007, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

bump. he's still jet black.. kinda disapointed...
Old 10/26/2007, 06:24 PM
tiger eel

I post before but i got it all wrong #1 that eel wass never blue bicouse that eel is a juvenile is around 25-32 " big, bigger than that will start geting the blue color just feed him a lot

Last edited by cubano2480; 10/26/2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10/26/2007, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

Heres a pic of him just to showhim off a bit :P he's 34'' i believe.

Old 10/26/2007, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cubano2480
I post before but i got it all wrong #1 that eel wass never blue bicouse that eel is a juvenile is around 25-32 " big, bigger than that will start geting the blue color just feed him a lot
For one that PM you just sent me was un called for. Dont try to tell me that im racists or any BS like that towards Cubans. Im white, my room mate is black , my girlfriend is Hispanic and my step dad is Hispanic. I am the complete opposite of being racists towards you becuase your Cuban.

This is the PM i got from him just now..

"u know what I really have to take this out off my chest I try to help u telling u what I know about the eel and u din`t even say thanks then I told u about the govy and u try to make me look like a stupid I don`t really give a *&%$ what u think maybe u have a problem because I`m a Cuban or maybe u just a @#$ t I will try to not forget u nick I wont post again in u treads thanks for u time"

The goby thing was not even trying to make you look bad I was just stating I wasnt worried about it. And I can really care less if you post in my "threads" again.

Last edited by Chef Reef; 10/26/2007 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10/26/2007, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

hey chef reef whats up the the eel
Old 10/26/2007, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

P.S. My name is not Nick.. I dont know where you got that from or why you keep calling me that.. It's Sean.
Old 10/26/2007, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by slick669
hey chef reef whats up the the eel
what do you mean?
Old 10/26/2007, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

are you talking about the eel you pick up from me last night
Old 10/26/2007, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by slick669
are you talking about the eel you pick up from me last night
Ya it never turned blue like you said it was. It's been jet black all last night and all day today. Thats the pic of it i just took about 30 mins ago.
Old 10/26/2007, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

had it for 9 months always blue with me, give it a couple of days to get settle in.
Old 10/26/2007, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

ya thats what i was doing but i just didnt know if it was possible to go backwards in the color morph :P
Old 10/26/2007, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

Chef reef....You may want to consider to rearrange a couple rock pieces and create a cave like structure. Eels in general love alot of rock work to go in and out of and also a place for them to hang out when they aren't going through the rocks...

Seeing as you don't have alot in the tank try to make him feel a bit more secure. Or you can add a bit more live rock in there but of course that can cost some $$$.

Good luck,

Nick
Old 10/26/2007, 09:37 PM
tiger eel

I don`t really care if u place what I told u on u tread,I feel that way so I say what I think anyway I send u a pm because maybe I was wrong if u think that taking this to the light is the best is u call and don`t really care,I know who I`m and the people that know me know`s that I like to help,I just will do like this never happen ignore u like u don`t exist thanks again and good luck with u eel THANKS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhinomuraena
Old 10/26/2007, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice Miamireefer im trying to find some LR right now thats at a decent price.. maybe 2-3 bucks per lb? do you know where to find this? Id rather not ship it but if it comes down to it i might just have to order online.. hate that cuase i can never see the peices before getting them.

wow, cubano2480... i knew everything in that artical.. thanks. helped.. um zero? ya 0%... i pretty much mentioned half of that artical in my first post. (color morph)
Old 10/27/2007, 12:56 AM
Premium Member

One thing you can do to help it settle in would be to get some PVP piping and put in there for it. One thing you have to take in to account is that these guys live in holes in the sand or at the base of rocks. Ive seen some guys in the aggressive forum take PVP and burry it and the eels seem to really like that. You can also get some large shells to put in there too. Granted you wont see the whole eel, but it will help it settle in better. Good Luck and keep us posted
Old 10/27/2007, 01:32 AM
Registered Member

Bret gave you a cheaper alternative....I totally forgot to mention the pvc....
Old 10/27/2007, 11:54 AM
Premium Member

all i know is im jealous!!! if it doesnt change like youd hope, sell it to me
Old 10/27/2007, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

lol not for sale :P thanks guys. do you know where i can find a large shell at F/S? lol dont say the beach neither.. :P ill prolly go get some pvc pipe as well just in case.