Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/19/2005, 10:51 PM
Premium Member

quick CO2 regulator question

I have a JBJ regulator for my Calcium reactor and I noticed a hiss coming from the regulator. It is coming from a bolt that can be tightened down. the bolt can be tightened with and allen wrench and I was wondering if I should tighten it all the way down. Will this fix the problem or hurt the regulator?

Thanks for your help
Old 07/19/2005, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

the regulator should be silent. Are you sure that the sound is not coming from the connection to the CO2 cylinder? Did you install the nylon washer? I have a different regulator, but the allen key bolt may be just to adjust the gauge needle. If you haven't already, put some soapy water on the connections and look for bubbles.
Old 07/20/2005, 08:57 AM
Premium Member

yeah it is coming from the bolt for sure. I put some saliva on it. This thing is brand new, could it be faulty?
Old 07/20/2005, 09:22 AM
Registered Member

Again, I am not sure what the bolt is for, I am guessing it is for needle adjustment, I may be wrong. What happens if you tighten it?

Regardless, you do not want any CO2 escaping the regulator except through the needle valve.
Old 07/20/2005, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

I haven't tightened it yet because I want to make sure it won't hurt the regulator. Or make sure I am not tightening an emergency release valve or something
Old 07/20/2005, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

I looked at the manual for the JBJ regulator online. It makes no mention of the allen screw you refer to. I wish I could help more. good luck ckeadle!

Last edited by collins; 07/20/2005 at 04:44 PM.