Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/13/2007, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

Lets do this - 225+ reef bar

I've doing all the research (getting tank quotes, approval from my condo assoc., etc.) and it looks like I've got the funds, plan and permission to do this tank. It will be a 3'x5' 225 gal display external overflow, recessed in-wall. I'll build a bar into the wall so you can sit and enjoy the reef. I've decided that Miracles is the way to go for me. I would have loved an A.G.E. tank, but with it being an in-wall I couldn't justify the extra cost.

I posted this on my "I'm thinking about this thread", but just so its in one place, here are the initial equipment thoughts:

The flow will be 2 vortechs + at least 1 return on a wavy seas. Do you think I need a third vortech in there?

Skimmer I'm still deciding on...thinking Reeflo or ATI BM 250 right now?

I want to do all T5. 8x80w, 10x80w, or more?

Because of the logistics of getting a wide stand into the room, I'm thinking of building two stands pushed together. How does the following look? (made of 4x4 and 2x4s) too much, too little, change in this design needed?

Also, here is the general sketch (without the front access built-in yet):

Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
4 Tunze Nanostreams Modded,
retros: 400w MH + 4x39w 36" T5

Last edited by mcliffy2; 12/13/2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12/13/2007, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

initially the pics didnt work, first post is updated so you should see the pics now.
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
Old 12/13/2007, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

one other question on the stand. what kind of wood should I be looking to build it out of? Obviously 2x4 and 4x4, but what type and grade, I'm rather clueless in this dept. (I just did a little browsing and see fir, spruce, etc. in various grades).
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
Old 12/13/2007, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

Any framing lumber is fine for the stand. Use regular 2X4's or 4X4's. If you give it good primer and paint it with some waterproof paint, you will be good to go for years...
Also you probably can use pressure treated lumber but that was unsafe to use inside of the house because they use a cyanide and other chemicals to treat it with. I think about 2 years ago they stop to use those chemicals and start to use something safer. Im still not sure if its ok to use in the inside of the house.
Old 12/14/2007, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

I had this stand that invincible569 posted on his blog pointed out to me. Anyone have an idea how something like this might be built using cinder blocks?

Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
Old 12/14/2007, 01:32 AM
Registered Member

This is Alexander Girz Aquarium from Germany, he used cinder blocks in Germany we call it "Hohlblock". You can ask him yourself here is his Email : Girz.Alexander@gmx.de .
Old 12/14/2007, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by swat19
This is Alexander Girz Aquarium from Germany, he used cinder blocks in Germany we call it "Hohlblock". You can ask him yourself here is his Email : Girz.Alexander@gmx.de .
Thanks, if you feel he wont mind, Ill definitely send him an email.

Anyone have thoughts/suggestions on the equipment list?
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
Old 12/14/2007, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

Here is an idea I've sketched out for the aquascaping. The idea is to have a small wall in the back corner. Then have a island/bridge in the middle, while still leaving plenty of open swimming area. Thoughts?

Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
Old 12/14/2007, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

I think since you'll have the front and right side glass your rock placement won't be in the way of cleaning and it looks good for the viewing area.
Old 12/14/2007, 10:40 PM
I am a super nose picker

If you are going to have the bar where is the booze going to be located.Remember drunks and fish tanks don't mix.Broken glass leads to floods.In the sketch it doesn't seem like you have left any room for the alcohol
Old 12/14/2007, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steve the plumb
If you are going to have the bar where is the booze going to be located.Remember drunks and fish tanks don't mix.Broken glass leads to floods.In the sketch it doesn't seem like you have left any room for the alcohol
I'll probably build the bar out a bit further than is pictured. I'm also thinking I'll have a small back to the bar (an inch or two), figure that will be better looking than the side of a sand bed anyway. It would take quite a spill tho I think for someone to break the tank (tank will be braced).
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
Old 12/16/2007, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

cool tank... quick question

What software or program did you use to design your tank and room? Is is difficult for the layman to sketch something on that software program?
Thanks,
Mike
Riverside,CA
Old 12/17/2007, 09:20 AM
Registered Member

Re: cool tank... quick question

Quote:
Originally posted by biggerpapa
What software or program did you use to design your tank and room? Is is difficult for the layman to sketch something on that software program?
Thanks,
Mike
Riverside,CA
Well Im definitely just a layman, so...nope, not difficult at all I just used Google Sketchup, its Google's free design program. Download it and take the intro lessons, pretty easy from there: http://sketchup.google.com/
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
Old 12/28/2007, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

It has begun....just bought 2 NIB Vortechs from a fellow reefer on RC. Will probably be ordering the tank in the next week or so.
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
Old 12/28/2007, 09:44 PM
Ancient Eskimo Legend

I think flow might be an issue with that back corner filled with rock like that.

"The wind blew, the detritus flew and then they came two by two."
Old 12/28/2007, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nanook
I think flow might be an issue with that back corner filled with rock like that.
You think detritus will get trapped back there? I was already thinking I might try to move that pile out from the wall a bit, so that is definitely something to think about. So do you advise against ANY rock being set against a wall?
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
Old 01/03/2008, 03:09 PM
g l a s s b o x

hey mike,

re: stand...concrete counter top could work, as would a few layers of plywood....you could rib the underside for more strenth.

re:aquascaping, try making the right wall very open and you'll be fine. D&D epoxy and fiberglass or acrylic rod and you should be good to go.

i think it will look good. i would make the farthest right point of the arch very low, only a few inches tall.

who are you going with for the tank?

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 01/03/2008, 08:09 PM
Premium Member

I built my stand out of cinderblocks. I had a mason build four collumns and cement screws into the top. I then used four steel I beams (told the company where I wanted holes drilled) and bolted them down on the collumns. Plywood went over the I beams and then some 1"styrofoam. To finish, I tiled the whole structure to match the floor, and added a little trim. You can see a pic here in this forum under "updated pics"
Old 01/03/2008, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Flint&Eric
hey mike,

re: stand...concrete counter top could work, as would a few layers of plywood....you could rib the underside for more strenth.

re:aquascaping, try making the right wall very open and you'll be fine. D&D epoxy and fiberglass or acrylic rod and you should be good to go.

i think it will look good. i would make the farthest right point of the arch very low, only a few inches tall.

who are you going with for the tank?
I got a quote from Aquarium Obsessed - them and Miracles are about the same so I'm trying to decide. Both seem very high quality, I like what I've seen of AO, but there are also a few really nice tanks I've seen with Miracles (like SunnyX's TOTM). Thoughts?

Im also starting to overthink the whole thing - Im set on the 225 size, but now I'm tossing around the idea of going rimless in the same spot as my current tank and covering the stand with drywall so that the stand looks like an extension of the hallway wall, and plumbing through the wall to have the sump, etc. in the 2nd bedroom. Would save the cost ($1300) of having the hole cut in the wall, and the hassle of having the wall filled back in when I move out...decisions, decisions.

Also am thinking twice about having any rock touch the sides - it would be nice to be able to keep the clean black look on the walls. and to further complicate, tossing around the idea of BB with RDSB, hmmm...

On another note of actual progress, my two Vortechs just arrived today That is half my flow. The other half is the return w/ sea swirl plus a closed loop w/ Oceans Motion or maybe a third Vortech. My goal is to have every source of flow varying in some way. I can figure out exactly how to complement the Vortechs later tho as I'm just having the tank drilled for a closed loop so I can plug it if I end up decide not to do a closed loop.
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
Old 01/03/2008, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefkeeper2
I built my stand out of cinderblocks. I had a mason build four collumns and cement screws into the top. I then used four steel I beams (told the company where I wanted holes drilled) and bolted them down on the collumns. Plywood went over the I beams and then some 1"styrofoam. To finish, I tiled the whole structure to match the floor, and added a little trim. You can see a pic here in this forum under "updated pics"
Ive noticed your stand before, it looks very nice. If I do go in-wall, looks arent that important, what will matter is sturdiness and cost. Do you mind giving me a ballpark of how much your stand cost to put together?
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
Old 01/03/2008, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

On aquascaping, Im definitely going more open (although probably not as minimalist as your 90 ), probably more open than in that sketch. I don't want anything more than about 10" from the surface of the water.

Any chance you might lend an eye to the aquascaping? I'm thinking I might order and start cycling some Marco Rock in the next couple weeks. I think it will be easier to drill the rocks for acrylic rods and for pegging if its dry, then I'll put most of the LR I have now in the sump, except for a few choice pieces.
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
Old 01/04/2008, 10:00 AM
g l a s s b o x

Quote:
Originally posted by mcliffy2
probably more open than in that sketch. I don't want anything more than about 10" from the surface of the water.

Any chance you might lend an eye to the aquascaping? I'm thinking I might order and start cycling some Marco Rock in the next couple weeks. I think it will be easier to drill the rocks for acrylic rods and for pegging if its dry, then I'll put most of the LR I have now in the sump, except for a few choice pieces.
glad to hear you dont want it leaning against the glass ...makes it a pita to clean the glass. lmk when you're going to do it and i'll swing by. sketch out some ideas you have on paper so you can visualize what you want.

i like the idea of the drywall with plumbing through the side. it should help even out the extra cost of the rimless and make the tank more of a showpiece.

my only concern is the faux finish probably wont look good as a "stand". i'd suggest painting the whole wall and stand a solid white or panel it with something else. you could get away with some pretty cool stuff...metal, raw cement, glass, veneers, laminate, etc...

our tank will be here next week , i'll let you know how it looks. who will be doing the work for the wall/stand? lmk if you have any good contractors.

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 01/04/2008, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Flint&Eric
glad to hear you dont want it leaning against the glass ...makes it a pita to clean the glass. lmk when you're going to do it and i'll swing by. sketch out some ideas you have on paper so you can visualize what you want.

i like the idea of the drywall with plumbing through the side. it should help even out the extra cost of the rimless and make the tank more of a showpiece.

my only concern is the faux finish probably wont look good as a "stand". i'd suggest painting the whole wall and stand a solid white or panel it with something else. you could get away with some pretty cool stuff...metal, raw cement, glass, veneers, laminate, etc...

our tank will be here next week , i'll let you know how it looks. who will be doing the work for the wall/stand? lmk if you have any good contractors.
You must be stoked, Im sure the tank will be really sweet.

I was also thinking solid color for the stand. Here are a couple of the other options I was playing around with (note I used an old model of a 185, 30" wide tank, so it isnt quite as wide, but you get the idea).

Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
Old 01/04/2008, 11:26 AM
g l a s s b o x

both look nice. what type of lighting are you going with? that would probably be the deciding factor...the problem with the second one is glare when sitting in the stools.

Old 01/04/2008, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

I am thinking all T5, which may present another problem with open top - the only 8x80w T5 units I can find are the Tek units which arent the most pleasant looking. I know Sfiligoi and ATI make 8x80w pendants but I havent found them stateside. I asked AO if they could get ahold of them, so we'll see...
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,