Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Connecticut Area Reef Society (C.T.A.R.S.)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/07/2007, 11:54 PM
Registered Member

MH/Glass tops?

Is anyone using a MH light with glass tops? I use a glass top with my T5 but I am concerned about using one with my MH. It is a clamp on 150 HQI and the light is about 6 inches from the water. I am would like to reduce evaporation. Not sure about loosing PAR and heat problems?
Old 11/08/2007, 12:05 AM
Registered Member

you will definatly lose PAR and certainly heat problems. Evaporation is a good thing, espeicaly in smaller tanks. It keeps the temp down, reducing that might risk temperature problems.
I personaly dont like metal tops in the least, even without hot lights above.
why do you want one? Just curious. IF it's because of jumping fish, eggcrate is probably a better idea, IMO.
Old 11/08/2007, 01:13 AM
C.T.A.R.S. MEMBER

I'm running hqi's on a 90 with glass tops on. The center plastic will warp after a while (no big deal) , but it's still operational. Just keep the back portion open (no plastic cut out) and evaporation should be fine, you don't want a sealed unit.

My unit is 150w x 2 and 130x2 pc's, the unit is only a couple inches off the glass. Hope that helps
Old 11/08/2007, 01:56 AM
Registered Member

Thanks guys. I dont want metal tops I have a glass top that I am looing to put on. I would still get a decent amount of evaporation just not the amount I am getting now. I am adding water every day or every other. Looking to cut down on maintence time. Thanks for the tip on the center hing.

Thanks again..
Old 11/09/2007, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

I don't believe in glass tops in any way shape or form anymore. There are a myriad of reasons for this, but let's just say I'd rather live with the evaporation than all the problems associated with an "enclosed" system.

It seems like a pain, but evaporation and proper gas exchange is a very very good thing.
Old 11/09/2007, 09:37 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by InsaneClownFish
I don't believe in glass tops in any way shape or form anymore. There are a myriad of reasons for this, but let's just say I'd rather live with the evaporation than all the problems associated with an "enclosed" system.

It seems like a pain, but evaporation and proper gas exchange is a very very good thing.
+1 No glass tops for me mostly because of heat and gas exchange issues.
Old 11/10/2007, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

I have switched back and forth with them on my tanks that I use T5's on and they help keep the salt from getting all over the house. I do understand the air exchange. I was not sure if there was anyone using them with MH.

Thanks for the input...