Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/04/2007, 08:49 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

KZ Lamps, Second test

Well I got the 54 watt lamps in to test and I was right to be skeptical.

The PAR for the Fiji Purple is about 10% lower than a ATI Aquablue, The Fiji is a nice lamp though. I plan to use one.

The Coral light had the same PAR as a ATI Aquablue. The light it produces looks the same, the physical apearance of the lamp is the same, the burn pattern is the same. If I were a betting man I would put the house on these being the same lamp. If the Coral Light does have 5% red it doesn't show.

I will do lamp pics tonight and start a new thread.
Old 07/04/2007, 08:52 PM
saltwater in my veins

Where did you get them from? I am going to try the purple bulbs...

What other bulb would you compare the purples to spectrum wise?
Old 07/04/2007, 09:06 PM

I got the last 2 purples SPS gardens had. Captive Oceans was supposed to be getting more in any time. They are listed with the Zeovit stuff there.

Nothing Ive seen compares to the purple.
Old 07/04/2007, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

When I saw the test numbers, I think it worth to buy ATI and UVL bulbs because cheaper and has good numbers but KZ bulbs are too expensive plus shipping and same principle of ATI bubs

Maybe Grim thinks that best bet to buy ATI and UVL than to buy lots of KZ.

Price of ATI and UVL to KZ bulbs = you save about 20 prcents if you buy ATI and UVL?

tell me if I am wrong about product of quality than import bulbs?
Old 07/04/2007, 09:13 PM
One Good Friend

I talked to the guys at captive oceans and their fiji's are at customs where i'm at and are going to be shipped any day now. They should have them any day now, but said it would be the end of this week.

Grim, How do you think this would look. 10k 250 ushio with reefstar, with 4x48" Overdriven t5's 2x blue plus and 2x purple fiji's. THis is what i'm going to do anyhow. I'll keep the sps in the center and the softies and lps, near the edges of center on out. I'm hoping for a very unique look.

So what kind of par are we talking about for the fiji's?
Old 07/04/2007, 09:14 PM

The purple is a different lamp. It;s possible it will not have a great effect running with a Aquasun or other lamp with red spectum in it but I am going to try it.
Old 07/04/2007, 09:17 PM
One Good Friend

Oh yea, my tank is a 125g 6', sorry, i'll post some pics of the lighting when its all ready
Old 07/04/2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by luke33
I talked to the guys at captive oceans and their fiji's are at customs where i'm at and are going to be shipped any day now. They should have them any day now, but said it would be the end of this week.

Grim, How do you think this would look. 10k 250 ushio with reefstar, with 4x48" Overdriven t5's 2x blue plus and 2x purple fiji's. THis is what i'm going to do anyhow. I'll keep the sps in the center and the softies and lps, near the edges of center on out. I'm hoping for a very unique look.

So what kind of par are we talking about for the fiji's?
The Fijis have about 10% less than Aquablue. Should leave them about the same or a little better than blue plus.
Old 07/04/2007, 09:29 PM
One Good Friend

Thanks Grim, well imo, they are more expensive yes, but there quality bulb's and there's nothing out there that will compare to the color you get with them. So a B+ in my book.
Old 07/04/2007, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

Grim,
Have you tested the Aquascience 15K?
Old 07/04/2007, 10:21 PM

Yeah, it has a little less PAR than a Aquablue
Old 07/04/2007, 10:49 PM
Moved back in!

Grim,

What does this test tell us about the validity of the tests done with the 39 watt KZ bulbs? Is it still safe to say that the 39 watt KZ bulbs are superior to others at this wattage?

Luis
Old 07/04/2007, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tagareef
Grim,

What does this test tell us about the validity of the tests done with the 39 watt KZ bulbs? Is it still safe to say that the 39 watt KZ bulbs are superior to others at this wattage?

Luis
It tells me I should buy a 39 watt Aquablue lamp to test but I just can't justify buying a lamp I will never use. I have another lamp I will try checking against them.
Old 07/05/2007, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
Yeah, it has a little less PAR than a Aquablue
Grim,

I ask you something, just base on your opnion. Which is one that you are relabile on it, feel more comfortable with the produce of bulbs,

ATI or KZ bulbs..

Right now I am in stuck between two.
Old 07/05/2007, 12:15 AM
saltwater in my veins

Would you still use an actinic bulb with the fiji purple Grim? I think I might just use blue plus', aquasun, aquablue and the purples and see what it looks like.
Old 07/05/2007, 01:30 AM
Registered Member

Hi there grim!

thank you so much for taking the trouble to conduct these tests- they add greatly to our understanding of the T5 tubes available to us.

i was wondering though, as the KZ Fiji Purple Tube is an actinic tube, as opposed to a daylight tube like the ATi Aquable Spezials, isnt' comparing their PAR figures an imbalance of subjects?
Additionally, in your experience with the Fiji Purple tubes, do you think they are likely to fuel greater algae growth as compared to other tubes because there's more red spectrums?

I've seen the Purples in action before, but personally, im still presently running 2 x KZ Coral Light and 2 x ATi Blue Plus tubes right now, in 4 x 39w fixture over a 70Litres display tank, and would like to know what you think of me swopping one of the Blue Pluses out for a Purple.

THank you!

ian
Old 07/05/2007, 02:19 AM
Registered Member

Hi Grim

many thanks for the info. Its good to hear that the FP's still produce a decent intensity and I'll keep the current 4/12 slots for the purples. IT worth noting that the SPS tissue begins to shift over time in response to the spectrum.

My main interest is a comparison in intensity between the KZ Coral Lights and Aquacience Specials - have you been able to compare the two?

Many thanks

SImon

Simon
Old 07/05/2007, 02:21 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by iantoh

Additionally, in your experience with the Fiji Purple tubes, do you think they are likely to fuel greater algae growth as compared to other tubes because there's more red spectrums?

ian
Hi Ian

Only if there are the nutrients in the water or rocks to feed alage growth. If you have ultra low nutrients, red/pink spectrum light isnt a problem IME

Cheers

Simon

Simon
Old 07/05/2007, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TryTheChi
Hi Grim

many thanks for the info. Its good to hear that the FP's still produce a decent intensity and I'll keep the current 4/12 slots for the purples. IT worth noting that the SPS tissue begins to shift over time in response to the spectrum.

My main interest is a comparison in intensity between the KZ Coral Lights and Aquacience Specials - have you been able to compare the two?

Many thanks

SImon
I will fire them up side by side and do some tests and pics.
Old 07/05/2007, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by iantoh
Hi there grim!

thank you so much for taking the trouble to conduct these tests- they add greatly to our understanding of the T5 tubes available to us.

i was wondering though, as the KZ Fiji Purple Tube is an actinic tube, as opposed to a daylight tube like the ATi Aquable Spezials, isnt' comparing their PAR figures an imbalance of subjects?

I've seen the Purples in action before, but personally, im still presently running 2 x KZ Coral Light and 2 x ATi Blue Plus tubes right now, in 4 x 39w fixture over a 70Litres display tank, and would like to know what you think of me swopping one of the Blue Pluses out for a Purple.

THank you!

ian
Hey, I just fired these up for the first time. Your gonna have to go on what people who have used them for a while have to say. I think the purple is sorta a hybrid lamp, kinda like a aquablue with more actinic properties perhaps. I gt to fire it up in a single lamp rig to see what it does stand alone but in combination with a UVL super actinic both appear to add something to the look in their own right.
Old 07/05/2007, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aeroaustin
Grim,

I ask you something, just base on your opnion. Which is one that you are relabile on it, feel more comfortable with the produce of bulbs,

ATI or KZ bulbs..

Right now I am in stuck between two.
The Fiji Purple is a one of a kind lamp. No difference between a Aquablue and a KZ coral light as far as I can see. There is no way in hell I would spend an extra 10 bux for a Coral Light.
Old 07/05/2007, 04:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
The Fiji Purple is a one of a kind lamp. No difference between a Aquablue and a KZ coral light as far as I can see. There is no way in hell I would spend an extra 10 bux for a Coral Light.
Hi Grim,

Thing is, i went out and did just that about a month or two ago. i changed out 2 x ATi Aquablue Spezials for 2 x KZ Coral Lights, and within a few days, the purple tips on my A. Gemmifera colony returned, when it was mostly a greyish body shade under the ATi Aquablue Spezials. I understand that might be too anecdotal an account to sway your judgment, but even though to my eye, these two tubes look the same, i have to say that it has resulted in a slight difference in the colours of my corals.

I'm gonna try to dig up some old pictures to see if i can show you the difference.

cheers,
ian
Old 07/05/2007, 05:22 AM

How long had you been running the aquablues? I have been told the lamps have a signifigent color shift within 6 months and the euro guys are changing T5's at 8 to 9 months. Could be the spectrum shift is comming into play much sooner than we were led to believe.
Old 07/05/2007, 05:27 AM
Registered Member

Hi grim,

Prior to switching the 2 aquablues to coral lights, i had ran the aquablues on my system for the past year and a half, but at the point when i decided to make the switch, that pair of aquablues were only 3 months old, so its leading me to think its not spectrum shift, as i've had this A. Gemmifera colony for almost 3+ years now, and its not shown its purple tip throughout that whole time, other than for the initial first week or so after i first bought it long ago.

i'm still experimenting though, and its good to hear from more reefers about their own experiences. Since you've already purchased the Coral Lights, perhaps you could try them out and see if any change occurs too?

chhers! :P

ian
Old 07/05/2007, 05:52 AM

I personally dont use 50/50 lamps at all. I prefer using blues, actinics and daylights to get the mix of light I like. Just looking at the Coral Light and the Aquablue I seriously think they are the same lamps. I have a cheap Spectrometer and I can't spot any differences looking through that either. It's just a 30 dollar hand held deal but it does provide a better look than the naked eye.