Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish

Old 12/26/2007, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

Haddoni and clowns

Which clowns will host in them? Thanks Bobby
Old 12/26/2007, 09:49 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

I personally have kept saddle backs and clarkiis with them. Believe that a haddoni is a natural host for both.
Old 12/26/2007, 10:34 PM
Registered Member

How about Percs and Ocellaris? This anemone is so sticky I don't see how anything can host in it.
Old 12/26/2007, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

Some of the time percs and ocellaris will accept a haddoni as a host. On rare occations you will hear of a haddoni eating a perc, but not often.
Saddlebacks and true sebaes are natural symbionts as are most of the clarki complex clowns.
Old 12/27/2007, 09:34 AM
The Clownfish COP

I have had a breeding pair of Percs in my main display with a 10"-12" Blue Haddoni a almost a year now with no hosting. Though they have taken up residency in my large Green Toadstool. Hit and miss.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him/her drink.

-Ian
Old 12/27/2007, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

i am in the process of mating my 2 black perculas with a haddoni.my LFS told me to catch them and place both the clowns and anenome into a strainer and clamp it at the top of the tank in the water still.this should make them acclimate together.ill keep you all posted on what happens
Old 12/27/2007, 06:35 PM
I hate line 42!!!!!!!

Be careful using the method jgs107 mentioned. My haddoni ate a pair of black Ocellaris clowns and a pair of Percula clowns. In both cases I lost power and in the confusion the clowns jumped into the anemone. They didnt acclimate themselves to it and ended up getting pulled in. I now have a pair of Saddlebacks.
Old 12/27/2007, 07:49 PM
always hungry

I have a single Clarki in my Hadoni. The only bad thing in my case is the the clown keeps the anemone folded up. Not withdrawn really, just folds in the polyp where the clown can hide. Before the clown entered the picture the carpet would stretch out and lay flat across the rocks and sand. It was huge. Now it can only expand about half of what it did.
Old 12/27/2007, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Ocellaris here.
Old 12/27/2007, 08:25 PM
Here comes the Gators

My old pair of Clarkii clowns hosted my old blue in a matter of a second...literally.

Big 10 is a joke

OSU is a joke

Anyone that thinks the SEC isn't the best conference is a joke

GO GATORS!
Old 12/27/2007, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jgs107
i am in the process of mating my 2 black perculas with a haddoni.my LFS told me to catch them and place both the clowns and anenome into a strainer and clamp it at the top of the tank in the water still.this should make them acclimate together.ill keep you all posted on what happens
This is ok when its done with a BTA. It is a reeeeeeally bad idea with a haddoni!!!!

Ocellaris and percs don't have as thick a slime layer as clarkis and saddlebacks. It normally takes them a while to acclimate to a haddoni. If your haddoni is healthy it will very likely eat your percs before they acclimate to its sting!!!
Old 12/27/2007, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

Well I found out the hard way! It ate 3 black Ocellaris today. It suck because it is so beautiful.
Old 12/30/2007, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

i had my clowns in for about 5 hours and they did fine.one clown will not leave the carpet alone and the other is kinda like whatever.im glad the carpet didnt eat my clowns.i would have been ****ed.already lost a pair a couple years ago from a lion fish.i have expensive meals.
Old 12/31/2007, 12:22 AM
Registered Member

Nice post some pics!
Old 12/31/2007, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

Saddleback clowns are cool fish especially in a natural host anemone. Some variants I've seen are almost all black with nice thick white bands, yellow on the face.