Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/23/2007, 09:04 AM
Registered Member

I was wondering if someone would be able to post a link that would show what these "red bugs " look like. Are they visible with the naked eye? Thanks, Al
Old 10/23/2007, 10:25 AM
Premium Member

If you know what to look for, yes you can see them with your naked eye.....but they are really really tiny...check out Melev's website, he has a great article and excellent pictures
www.melevsreef.com/redbugs.html

Sarah
Old 10/23/2007, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Sarah, that was a very informative link. Al
Old 10/23/2007, 10:58 AM
Premium Member

Welcome! It's how I learned how to treat, and what to watch for...he's got a lot of really good information and he's really helpful if you do have a question!

Sarah
Old 10/25/2007, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

Did my second dosing yesterday and unbelievably the two cleaner shrimp are still alive, as a matter of fact the female is carring a large amount of eggs under her tail. Anybody else have their shrimp survive? Maybe their mutant shrimp?
Old 10/25/2007, 07:38 PM
Premium Member

I lost my first peppermint with the first treatment and then the 2nd one with the 3d treatment...was too bad...

Sarah
Old 10/25/2007, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

Just did my first treatment last night. I painstakingly removed 50 hermits from my 200g reef but I found at least one that I missed, because it was dead this morning... I could not catch the fire shrimp or 3 pep's, or the 3 emeralds and a sally light foot. I'm crossing my fingers but not too hopeful, since I did not see them all day... all in all, though, this was MUCH easier to do than I assumed it would be. Gives me a good excuse to do some big water changes!
Old 10/25/2007, 11:17 PM
Premium Member

I got all but one fire shrimp out using the jar method. from what I understand, if you do the perscribed .25mg/ 10 gal and a water change after 6 hours and carbon, shrimp will do moderatly well. also i understand that you should run your skimmer, just cut off the air as those lil basterds can live anywhere
Old 10/26/2007, 12:39 PM
Premium Member

I did treatment 1 last Sunday. Got out all but a few crabs and one peppermint and a cleaner. The peppermint didn't make it through the night, but the cleaner is still hanging in there. I'm going to try to catch him tomorrow morning before the lights come on so I can do treatment #2 tomorrow... Pulling animals is the most painstaking part. I was able to get the two acro crabs out, too, though.
Old 10/26/2007, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

My biggest disappointment is the lose of my acro crabs. I found these and am wondering could they be a replacment for them? The ones I saw in my acros were white, these look alittle different and scary, anybody ever try them?
http://sealifeinc.net/catalog/produc...products_id=82
Old 10/27/2007, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

The porcelain crab that you linked to is not the same as an acro crab. I don't think there's a source for acro crabs, unless it's from a wild acro.
Old 10/28/2007, 01:02 AM
Premium Member

ok, just did by first treatment, .28 mg unfortunately I will not be able to do the first W/C for 20 hours.. I took this as a great opportunity to yank my skinner and clean it
Old 10/28/2007, 01:53 AM
Registered Member

Finished my first treatment on Thursday. Everything looks great now. I've counted a surviving fire shrimp, peppermint shrimp, and a few stray hermits I didn't catch before the treatment. Polyps on the infested corals are out more than ever. I dosed a full pill in 240g total system. After 10 hrs, I ran 3 cups of carbon and did a 60g (25%) water change, and everything seemed fine. I've set up a QT tank finally, and the 50 hermits I did catch will live there until I'm done with all 3 treatments.
Old 10/28/2007, 08:45 AM
Registered Member

how fast can red bugs move from one frag to another?

if one frag has it will all you acro from that saem tank have them?

i recieved four frags from someone this weekend and i think one of them has red bugs, unfortunately i was stupid and did not dip or qt then before adding them to my tank..

they have been in for about 20 hours is ti possible the red bugs have spread?

would it be better to treat the tank immediately with a small population of red bugs or just wait?

are there other natural preditors of teh red bugs?
Old 10/28/2007, 09:53 AM
Premium Member

I've read reports that they can be lightening fast. I've seen them buzzing around the coral during treatment at pretty break neck speed. Generally, if you have introduced it to the system, there is a good chance you've got them in the tank. After 20 hours, they've had plenty of time to check out their new home... I wouldn't bother treating the tank until you have seen them on your corals or are trying to sell or trade them soon.
Old 10/28/2007, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

so if lets say you have a smal red bug probem, you remove your inverts what if you re route your plumbing to prevent to a temporary sump to prevent killing off the posd in the fuge/sump? would there be a population of red bugs in a sump with no sps in it?

i have also read that yellow coris wrasse are a natural preditor of red bugs, are they a risk to damaging the corals?
Old 10/28/2007, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

so if lets say you have a smal red bug probem, you remove your inverts what if you re route your plumbing to prevent to a temporary sump to prevent killing off the posd in the fuge/sump? would there be a population of red bugs in a sump with no sps in it?
Old 10/29/2007, 08:37 AM
Registered Member

You want to treat EVERYTHING in the system, even let water run through your skimmer (without foam). The pod population WILL come back in short order. Four days after treatment I saw several amphipods running around my tank.
Old 11/01/2007, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

I didn't know there were 3 different mg sizes of interceptor tablets. I called my vet and they would only sell me the 5.75 mg tablet for my small dog. They said the large pill is 23 mg for the large dog. I have a 150 gallon tank I need to treat. Can anyone tell me how this will this work and how much of tablet should be used to properly treat my setup and counting the sump I am at about 200 gallons of total water.

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone"
Ronald Reagan

LIFE'S BEEN GOOD

Last edited by D.G.; 11/01/2007 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11/01/2007, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

If you have had no sps in a tank for a few months can red bugs still live. And can they live on live rocks. Wondering if I should treat another tank that I had sps in before that I suspect may have had them in it at that time.

I found a vet wholesale supplier that would sell me the large pill. I told them what I was doing and they had never heard of using them in fish tanks. They had to state on the script that it was for fish corals and that I should follow the correct dose for the usage. So I will plan on using the large tablet for the 200 gallons I have to treat. This should not be an overdose.

Ronald Reagan

LIFE'S BEEN GOOD
Old 11/01/2007, 08:00 PM
Premium Member

from what I understand, the active ingrediant is not evenly distributed through the pill. I got a morter and pedistal and dosed as perscribed in the original study.

before

after

Old 11/03/2007, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

Advise anyone.
Is there anything wrong with running the interceptor for the 6 hours, then turn on skimmer and add carbon at time. This is what I have done. And then at 12 hours do the water change. I will not be able to do what change until that time.
I ask this because most do water changes after the 6 hour period some do it later and some do not do it at all. Just wondering if this way on my first dose would hurt anything.

Ronald Reagan

LIFE'S BEEN GOOD
Old 11/03/2007, 06:10 PM
Premium Member

I ran for 20 hours for my first and 2nd treatment. I did mesure out the correct dose
Old 11/03/2007, 06:27 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

Quote:
Originally posted by five.five-six
from what I understand, the active ingredient is not evenly distributed through the pill.
That is actually not true.

FWIW, I didn't have a single crab or shrimp survive by the final treatment. I'm of the opinion, if your shrimp or crabs survive, then there could be some RB in a little nook or cranny also alive.

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 11/03/2007, 10:11 PM
Premium Member

did you treat at the prescribed levels?