Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

Calcium off the charts?

For some reason every time I test my calcium it is off the charts? I am using the API Reef Master test kit. And I am always over 520!

I'm talking 28 drops off bottle #2? Do I have a faulty solution.

I dose w/ B-Ionic and use Purple Up. Any Ideas why?

TIA
Old 01/08/2008, 05:03 PM
Moved Aside

Is there a LFS that can you can compare results with? Have you tried to stop dosing to see if the number will come down?
Old 01/08/2008, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

Or you can bring your water into the next meeting to have it tested. (I assume the club test kit includes a Ca test.)
Reagan Eileen's Daddy (11/10/07 @ 3:27am; 6lbs 3 oz; 18 inches)

Forum Etiquette:
Always ask yourself "what do I hope to accomplish by posting this" and reread it from a 3rd person view...reread and rewrite your posts...most important, be fair to your fellow reefer
Old 01/08/2008, 05:15 PM
Reefer Extraordinaire

Purple Up is a concentrated caclium/iodine supplement and if I remember correctly, the directions recommend that you do not continue your supplement routine when using it or you end up doubling up on these elements. Its been awhile since I used that stuff, but take a look at the bottle.

You could very well be double dosing.

Last edited by MrMikeB; 01/08/2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01/08/2008, 05:42 PM
Premium Member

As others have suggested, verify your readings first. Also check your Alk levels. Very high Ca levels tend to depress your Alk levels (take carbonate/bicarbonate out of solution). What are your Alk levels. If they are depressed you should only dose the Component #1 - Carbonate Alkalinity until the Alk levels are back up. If both levels are high I would stop both until they are both in the normal range.

B-Ionic usually works well as if you add equal amounts of Component 1 and 2 then your Ca and Alk levels stay reasonably balanced.

-- EDIT --

BTW I would also check your magnesium levels as Calcium, Magnesium, and Alk levels all can effect each other.
Old 01/08/2008, 06:31 PM
My tank is too full

Also, I would not trust API as my test kit. They are not really known for their accuracy.

To thine own self be true
Old 01/08/2008, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

Interesting. I just ran into the exact same thing with a Salifert calcium kit. It said I had around 700ppm calcium, and I replicated this three times. I took a water sample to YR and Jordan tested it using an Elos kit and it was about 525ppm.

<º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))><

Jeff
Old 01/08/2008, 06:38 PM
My tank is too full

There have been a lot of reports about salifert's inconsistency. I have found that elos has their stuff pretty dialed in. I have also heard good things about the Lamotte ALK kit.

To thine own self be true
Old 01/08/2008, 07:19 PM
Got Salt?

Umm yeah.. I will keep quiet on the Salifert issue, Last time I talked about it, I almost got the boot from RC for LIFE so uhhh..
Do your own research on that subject.. I'm not saying a thing..

Now,
My Elso CA and API CA match exactly. Same with my Elso Kh and API Kh
So I've switched to API for most tests and only use my expensive Elos ones to confirm API test results if they seem way out in left field..

Jack of all trades, and master of none.
~Steve~
Old 01/08/2008, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Guys.... I will take it to a LFS and have it double checked. Oh and by the way my Alkalinity is 10.
Old 01/08/2008, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

I have actually heard good things about API
Old 01/09/2008, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, I don't think I am going to buy any more Salifert kits. My water tested around 500ppm with one Salifert kit. Then, I open up a new box of reagents and it tests around 700ppm (which is pretty much impossible)? Makes it pretty hard to trust there other kits I already have....

<º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))><

Jeff
Old 01/09/2008, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

Mix up a gallon of salt water and test it. You should know what the test should show for calcium and mg.

For Alk, put 1.1350 grams of baking soda in a gallon of distilled water and its Alk will be 10. Compare your test results.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Marko9
Also, I would not trust API as my test kit. They are not really known for their accuracy.
FWIW I haven't had any serious problems with API kits that are 1 year old or less. When they sit they tend to have problems. With the salifert problems API is a good cheap alternative.

Recent aquisitions:
Coral -> Ponape Seriatopora
Fish -> Pseudocheilinus hexataenia (Six Line Wrasse)
Gadget -> Eheim 1262
Old 01/10/2008, 12:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WarrenG
Mix up a gallon of salt water and test it. You should know what the test should show for calcium and mg.

For Alk, put 1.1350 grams of baking soda in a gallon of distilled water and its Alk will be 10. Compare your test results.
My alk is at 10 now. But I will test my fresh walt water mix beforeI put it in the tank.

I need to ger an Mg test.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:55 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by petes97
FWIW I haven't had any serious problems with API kits that are 1 year old or less. When they sit they tend to have problems. With the salifert problems API is a good cheap alternative.
Neither have I Pete. Just the Calcium. I have had water double checked at the LFS before to make sure it was accurate,
Old 01/10/2008, 12:57 AM
Registered Member

I also see the LFS you API from time to time....
Old 01/10/2008, 12:59 AM
Registered Member

I have used API for a very long time and have had good resutls. I cannot say this for their CA test. I just this week tested 4 different reef aquariums. Two have CA reactors and two do not. I received almost identical reading using the API test kit. All tested over 400. I then compared it to a Red Sea CA test kit and was surprised to see reading more in line with what I had expected to see from each aquarium. They readings ranged from the very low 300's to 370.

This supports the low Alk reading have have been getting from the same aquariums. I could not understand why I was getting good CA reading and very low Alk readings. My plan now is to begin dosing two part Calcium additive and see if the CA and Alk reading improve together.

At this point I am no longer using the API CA test kit.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:17 AM
Registered Member

I just got an API ReefMaster kit and each of its tests agreed with the (older) Salifert tests I already had. I think the API phosphate test is too vague and the ELOS is more precise (more color variations between 0.0 and 0.05).
Old 01/10/2008, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

Captivereef- Exactly my situation, only the CA is not acurate

Warren - I agree with you on the Phosphate. It's difficult to tell the difference.