Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 04/14/2004, 08:35 AM
Moved On

How big is that room Greg, for perspective sake? BTW nice job to date.

MAS
Old 04/14/2004, 08:38 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamsonNY
Very nice set-up.

Like the great room too.
Thanks. The room turned out to be big enough to handle 22 reef club members with not a lot of crowding. Gonna have to have more parties I guess.

If you want to know - ask. But I won't promise you'll like the answer.
Old 04/14/2004, 08:39 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MAS
How big is that room Greg, for perspective sake? BTW nice job to date.

MAS
The great room is 25' x 25'. The ceiling is vaulted to 18' I believe. It is completely open on the left side into the dining room and kitchen making the room seem even larger.

Old 04/14/2004, 08:43 AM
On hobby time out!

OK, I have to say it, but I am surprised that stand for a tank that big is just a couple of 2x4 here and there. I guess I always over do things like stands and such, but after seeing your, I guess there is no need really.
Old 04/14/2004, 08:46 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dgasmd
OK, I have to say it, but I am surprised that stand for a tank that big is just a couple of 2x4 here and there. I guess I always over do things like stands and such, but after seeing your, I guess there is no need really.
I hear you. It's a bit scarey at first, but I assure you that stand could handle a tank twice the size. It's amazing how much weight a vertical 2x4 can hold.

Old 04/14/2004, 09:41 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dgasmd
That is almost exactly the same design as what I will be building for my new 400 gallon tank.
Steve
Old 04/14/2004, 01:00 PM
Moved On

Nice room with NICE tank!!!
- Jason
Old 04/14/2004, 01:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Very nice set-up.

Like the great room too.
Thanks!

Old 04/14/2004, 01:58 PM
Premium Member

Ok, this is the part of the project that was not well planned, and therefore was also the scariest part. Getting the tank from the builder in Miami to the stand in my house.

I rented a large passenger van, removed the seats and picked up the tank. Much to my suprise the van had bolts in the floor that the tank fit between with only a few inches of clearance. It was a tight fit, and disaster could easily have happened....

Old 04/14/2004, 02:43 PM
Premium Member

The worst part of the 150 mile trip was the last 30 feet....

After the last picture the guys realized they couldn't get the tank high enough to sit it on the stand. I had to toss down the camera and run in to help them out. At roughly 600 lbs and needing to lift in up 42" onto the stand, I wish I'd have enlisted another 2 or 3 guys to do the job....

Old 04/14/2004, 03:14 PM
Premium Member

Here is the tank on the stand in it's final resting place. Next we'll build the wall around it, build the hood, and add the facing to the stand.

Old 04/14/2004, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

very cool gregt!!!!!
Old 04/14/2004, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

currious about your overflow?

Greg, nice job! I'm designing something similar to your setup and was thinking that I would like a continuous overflow along the back. I see that you have bulkheads to either side of the overflow (or at least the original idea did). If you didn't have those designed there, would you have gone with a continuous overflow?

Like yours, I would have the three sides viewable, with the one end inserted into the wall. The only problem that I can see with a design like this is what to do with the bulkheads coming out of the bottom of the tank; how they should go through the bottom plate of the wall opening without loosing the structural integrity? I guess my idea is that where the overflow begins is where the wall would begin, making the overflow portion of the tank in the wall with about 3 inches in the fish room (I have use 2x8's for the wall the tank will come through).

My connection is too slow and my computer at home blows, so i wasn't able to see your movie! How are the currents in your tank layed out?

I'd like to have two surge tanks for mine. I'm thinking of putting all the return plumbing in the canopy, incuding the surge returns which I would like to locate at the oposite end as the overflow. I'm curious as to if this would cause a surge over the overflow instead of a constant flow?

Another idea I had was to have a baffle at the opposite end of the overflow which would contain some type of "mud". I would then make the canopy a little shorter than the actual tank length, leaving the very end of the tank open where this mud/baffle is. A mangrove (or two) would live here, growing out into the room with its own light (i too have 25' cathedral ceilings). The upper surface of the mud would serve as an intank refuge for pods! The whole baffle itself would be located opposite of the reef.

Just thinking outloud!

I like what you have done and look forward to seeing your progress!

peace........jason s
Old 04/14/2004, 07:27 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by COBRA201
very cool gregt!!!!!
Thank you!

Old 04/14/2004, 07:34 PM
Premium Member

Re: currious about your overflow?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Schneider
Greg, nice job!
Thanks.

Quote:
I'm designing something similar to your setup and was thinking that I would like a continuous overflow along the back. I see that you have bulkheads to either side of the overflow (or at least the original idea did). If you didn't have those designed there, would you have gone with a continuous overflow?
No, I wouldn't have. The main reason for not being continuous is so that I can put the return plumbing in the cubbies and have it out of sight. In fact, there's more linear overflow room with my design than continuous because it's only 6" of overflow walls on each side, but there's 9" going to the back of the tank. With this design, there is actually 6" more linear overflow exposed.

Quote:
Like yours, I would have the three sides viewable, with the one end inserted into the wall. The only problem that I can see with a design like this is what to do with the bulkheads coming out of the bottom of the tank; how they should go through the bottom plate of the wall opening without loosing the structural integrity? I guess my idea is that where the overflow begins is where the wall would begin, making the overflow portion of the tank in the wall with about 3 inches in the fish room (I have use 2x8's for the wall the tank will come through).
I put the tank on the stand and then built the walls around it. This is how I avoided these issues. Do you have any pictures of your construction?

Quote:
My connection is too slow and my computer at home blows, so i wasn't able to see your movie! How are the currents in your tank layed out?

I'd like to have two surge tanks for mine. I'm thinking of putting all the return plumbing in the canopy, incuding the surge returns which I would like to locate at the oposite end as the overflow. I'm curious as to if this would cause a surge over the overflow instead of a constant flow?
I'm going to put you off on that one until I get to the plumbing. I've just got to many pictures to keep them straight if I don't go in order. Sorry, be patient.

Quote:
Another idea I had was to have a baffle at the opposite end of the overflow which would contain some type of "mud". I would then make the canopy a little shorter than the actual tank length, leaving the very end of the tank open where this mud/baffle is. A mangrove (or two) would live here, growing out into the room with its own light (i too have 25' cathedral ceilings). The upper surface of the mud would serve as an intank refuge for pods! The whole baffle itself would be located opposite of the reef.

Just thinking outloud!
you're making my head hurt.

Old 04/14/2004, 07:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gregt
I hear you. It's a bit scarey at first, but I assure you that stand could handle a tank twice the size. It's amazing how much weight a vertical 2x4 can hold.

I remember when I was building my stand and posted pictures
I had people here tell me to keep my children away that! Its not safe etc.

If you were to do the math you could get a feel for how strong these stands are
I have had my entire weight (I am a big guy) on my stand pushing pulling etc. and it doesnt even make the water move a tiny bit

But Honey it won't be that expensive of a hobby!!!
Old 04/14/2004, 07:44 PM
Premium Member

The basic framing of the walls and canopy are done!

This was taken from inside the wet room

Old 04/14/2004, 07:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
If you were to do the math you could get a feel for how strong these stands are
I have had my entire weight (I am a big guy) on my stand pushing pulling etc. and it doesnt even make the water move a tiny bit
Absolutely. Theoretically, I could fall off a 6' ladder and hit the the tank and it wouldn't budge. It would hurt like heck too. Purely theoretically, of course.

Old 04/14/2004, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

very very nice, i can't believe those big guys couldn't get that thing lifted, i always end up losing my strength at the end too

can't wait to see more
shawn
Old 04/14/2004, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

Tank set-up is coming out great.

But, not to steal from it... The more I see the great room (and now from the kitchen view with the counter and the overhang glass rack), the more I like that.
Old 04/15/2004, 05:00 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shaw
very very nice, i can't believe those big guys couldn't get that thing lifted, i always end up losing my strength at the end too

can't wait to see more
shawn
We'll, that's what I thought too, but in retrospect, 600+ lbs / 4 = 150+ lbs per person. It's tough enough to clean and jerk a 150 lb barbell. A square cornered tank with no hand holds is really difficult. Next time I'd go with 2 more people or some type of mechanical help.

Old 04/15/2004, 05:01 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Tank set-up is coming out great.

But, not to steal from it... The more I see the great room (and now from the kitchen view with the counter and the overhang glass rack), the more I like that.
Yeah, the tank compliments the room very well. Too bad in the pictures the kitchen counter is such a mess. This project started with ripping carpet out of the great room and putting in ceramic tile. So the room was unusable for about 6 months.

Old 04/15/2004, 06:39 AM
Grampa Extroardinaire

Very nice Greg!!!

I like the chains on your lights. I will be incorporating that into my soon to be started DIY hood and move my 110 out of the ghetto.

Do you have any kind of ventilation in your wet room?

David

Too old for women to care
Old 04/15/2004, 07:36 AM
Moved On

Did you secure anything to the existing floor on the addition? Or did you even bother with the weight of that unit?
Old 04/15/2004, 07:42 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dkh0331
Very nice Greg!!!

I like the chains on your lights. I will be incorporating that into my soon to be started DIY hood and move my 110 out of the ghetto.

Do you have any kind of ventilation in your wet room?

David
Thanks.

I have two Icecap fans ventilating the canopy. They draw the air in from under the wet room door. So far this seems to be sufficient as the heat and humidity in the room is not bad at all.