Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 07/09/2007, 04:55 PM

jnarowe, of course it can be that clean. Stop working on your tank and start cleaning instead.

Chad, cant wait to see your new pics of the aquascape. Is all the RC out of your tank now? As for the stacking, I layed the rocks on each other like legos. If they didnt fit, then move it around. You have to get a visual of how you want it first. It wont be perfect the first 5 times. So be prepared to move around until you feel you got the money shot. The more you put it towards the back wall, the deeper of a look you will create. Leave some area for the sand. I did put the rocks on the back wall, but there is still a lot of room back there because of the irregular shapes. My chiller flows out through the back of the tank wall behind all those rocks and comes out the right side hitting against the right glass wall.

Richard, your tank is an inspiration also. I cant wait until you have it aquascaped. Your not far behind!

Josh, I am aiming the 65K light for growth on the SPS rock. 65K usually has better growth, but not great coloring. On the right side of the tank I have 20K and the greens and blues shine better. It doesnt penetrate as strong as the 65K though which was the goal because of the softy side. 65K=long term (growth), 20K=short term (instant color pop). As for the Majestic, he never ate so he did not make it. No sump pics either. thats another new project I havent even touched yet.

Marc, Thanks for the kind words. Yes, its an AGE tank - $3600. Get a rimless!

kigs, thank you.

Triton, thanks.. you are welcome to come by and lay in the room all you want. I need a better lens. I know the pic can come out better.

Dudester, it is very big! You dont get the true feeling until you put something next to it into perspective. Even the light fixture is wider than the norm. That's why I knew 300g was plenty for me. All I wanted in this dream tank was to create the ultimate open aquascape. Therefore I did with the 40" width. As for the stand.. its not real. I blacked it out because I still have not finished that part. The finished stand will look better than that in a black matte Formica finish by ADG. Check out the model below. As for the shelf, try hiding it by getting a slide out in your cabinet (like a keyboard slide out). Thats what I plan to do.

Old 07/09/2007, 07:04 PM

dude, I have maids and it still doesn't even come close...

slide out for maintanance is a really cool idea.
Old 07/09/2007, 10:20 PM

How about a little history lesson to the birth of Isla Escondido?

August 2005 - 100g In Wall - SPS Dominated

November 2006 - The Wife picking out the Tile Grout

November 2006 - Tile Installed and ready for Aquarium

December 2006 - 100g Tank Removed with big hole now through the garage!

December 2006 - Sheetrock men in to patch the wall

December 2006 - Tank Ordered from Jaime at AE.

December 2006 - Paint the walls

February 2007 - Walls Painted, Tank Installed, NO lights!

And Today (July 2007)
Old 07/09/2007, 10:34 PM

very nice. how much room is there to walk by near that wall corner? It is surprising to see you go from an inwall to in-room...I think I would be more inclined to go starfire but inwall mounted to view through the "end". It is a very nice remodel though. Did you do the tile yourself?
Old 07/09/2007, 10:35 PM
Team RC Member

Very cool progression, Edward. I love where you are now, but I gotta admit, I didn't hate where you were then, either . Curious, what is the black material lining the floor inside the cabinet?
Old 07/09/2007, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

Love the progression. Tank is awesome. I look forward to the updates on this thread.
Old 07/09/2007, 10:48 PM
They Found Nemo

did u ever care to share the spotlight trick or still not yet
Old 07/09/2007, 11:11 PM
TRC Leader

That was really a nice recap. I never saw the first tank from that angle. You and your wife did a beautiful job recreating your living space.
Old 07/09/2007, 11:28 PM
Redux Australian ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally posted by invincible569
65K=long term (growth), 20K=short term (instant color pop). As for the Majestic, he never ate so he did not make it. No sump pics either. thats another new project I havent even touched yet.
Hey mate,
Sorry to hear about the majestic. I found that attaching nori to a piece of frag size LR, placed in the display rock, near “his” cave worked. Mine never went near nori- away from the rock structure. I hope you get another

Regarding the stag bommie + Spotlighting, my question was more what were you going to do to increase colour later? Change the left spot, from 65k to 20k (after significant growth) to boost the colour? Or adopt a colour boosting method?

Goodluck with the sump set-up! I'm looking forward to when thats done.

Cheers

Photos of my "Blau Arborescent Dschungel Riff" via the red house.
Old 07/09/2007, 11:35 PM
g0t fIsH

very clean display Edward, guess i need to join the rimless club soon and all these pics are making me crazy
(red house for 600gal)
Old 07/10/2007, 12:04 AM
Registered Member

OMG, I can't believe you let your wife see the invoice . I have nightmares of my wife finding some of my invoices . Try explaining a $800 fixture ( ) that does'nt work as it is supposed to .

All of the reef ceramics are out. I have 160#'s of Kaleani in there now. Going through some diatom issues right now so we'll see how long that goes on.

Chad
Old 07/10/2007, 12:36 AM
g0t fIsH

thats why its always best to have a sugar mama?
(red house for 600gal)
Old 07/10/2007, 06:48 AM

jnarowe, didnt do the tile myself. I hired a contracter. And there is a lot of room in between the tank and the corner wall. I made sure this wouldnt be a problem and sure enough it's plenty.

dudester, the black lining is a rubber sheet I purchased from Home Depot. At first, I was looking for some at Academy (sports section), but found more of a selection at Home Depot. Its so water spills wont go through to the tile. I can just wipe it off.

ataylo, thank you.

purebullet, very soon.

Marc, thank you. I want to come to Dallas and see your tank!

Josh, it seems to me that in this tank, color is no problem. I may just leave it at 65k. But if at one time, growth is too much, I would want to slow it down by changing out the bulbs to 20k. I hope that answered your question?

cbui, what's stopping you? Sell what you have now and come join us! You will be very happy!

Chad, you're too funny! As for the bloom, be patient and it will all clear up. cant wait what your going to do. Thats the fun part! if you need help from miles away as a guidance, let me know
Old 07/10/2007, 07:36 AM
TRC Leader

You are always welcome to visit. Any time.
Old 07/10/2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by clownnrnd
OMG, I can't believe you let your wife see the invoice . I have nightmares of my wife finding some of my invoices . Try explaining a $800 fixture ( ) that does'nt work as it is supposed to .

Chad
Got a funny story I think you guys will like. I brought in 525 lbs. of MI rock and specifically told the supplier to NOT fax the invoice to my store.

It came in, my wife called and told me I got the fax (ouch), and when she came home, she noticed my new stainless fridge in the tank room. She asked me how much it cost and I told here that I got it on deep discount from Lowes (which was true). Then I breathed a sigh of relief, as she had nothing to say about the rock.

I guess she hadn't read the fax. The next day she came home and went right to the tank, asking where the $2000+ dollars of "rock" were...yikes! Again I told her it was a great deal but I sure got the LOOK.
Old 07/10/2007, 10:31 AM
Redux Australian ZEOhead

Thanks Edward.

Old 07/10/2007, 11:19 AM
g0t fIsH

guess i will join rimless club when i built my backyard addition? Jonathan next time tell her thats just an estimate.
(red house for 600gal)
Old 07/10/2007, 01:34 PM

She's not THAT stupid!
Old 07/12/2007, 09:47 AM

For those of you who are interested, I opened up my reef blog with more of a personal side:

http://invincible569.squarespace.com/

Dont forget to sign the guestbook!

Comments or Suggestions welcomed!
Old 07/12/2007, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

Awesome tank and a well designed website. Good job!!! Where do find the time? I always seem to let the website slip.
Old 07/12/2007, 09:59 AM
Redux Australian ZEOhead

Great website mate! Comments left

Old 07/12/2007, 10:13 AM
Redux Australian ZEOhead

Very interesting sump design... can't wait to see that

Old 07/12/2007, 10:20 AM

Interesting mix of equipment price points...I'd watch that Won heater like a hawkfish.
Old 07/12/2007, 10:42 AM

ataylo, creating the website was easy with squarespace's ready to go templates. I just added the top banner pic and added what I wanted to the side. Its very easy. Then all I did was update my Journal. Try it out.

Josh, thank you. The idea for that sump design was to have carbon and other media flow through it in the first compartments and then go down to where there are no bubbles.

jnarowe, I have had bad WOn heaters go bad a couple of times. You would of thought i would of learned my lesson by now? I still need to buy a controller and that was the reason for the temporary piece of equipment during the winter months.
Old 07/12/2007, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

Great website, I forgot to sign the guestbook. I'll go back and sign.

What controller are you thinking of using. I know you had one in mind but can't remember the name right now.

replied to EM

Chad