Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 11/11/2004, 08:47 AM
Ohhh that kind of reefer!

Pump Choice for CL.

Okey, so I need a little help making a decision on a pump here.

My tank is going to have two closed loop setups. Each going to a 4-way OceanMotions device. I already have one of the pump and OM, but I haven't decided the other one yet.

The tank is setup as follows. It is 72x36x24. There are 4 1" holes drilled in the euro-bracing at the 4 corners. This will be the first closed loop. It will be powered by a Sequence 750 3600SEQ12. The second closed loop will come out of the bottom with 1.5" returns. These 4 returns will also be connect to a 4 way OM.

My problem is deciding on which pump to use for the bottom closed loop. I want to keep the power consumption of this tank down, but I also want to keep the flow high. Which Sequence pump would you recommend?

Btw, this tank will be SPS only.

-TK
Old 11/11/2004, 08:58 AM
I have wet shirt sleeves

Taco, I went through this process as well. I got the Dart based on info and advice I received here from AcroSteve and others. As you know, mine is not functioning yet so I can't comment on performance. From a power consumption perspective, it seems to be one of the best available.
Old 11/11/2004, 12:15 PM
Premium Member

Yo Taco! Hey, I've got the same tank! (No extra holes in the back tho.)
I'm using an Iwaki70 for my closed loop and a 55 for the return. I tried an Iwaki100 on the CL before and liked the flow from it, but it was sucking too much air in at the Seaswirl returns (and bounced off the front glass quite a bit). I'd like a little more umpf in the water however, so you can use those kind of numbers to play around w/... (go big). I plan on swapping out the return's SS for an OM 4-way, just gotta figure out how to plumb it through the hole in the brace from the SS ('cuz I ain't drilling a new one). I'd like to upgrade the return pump to an Iwaki70 as well, to give it some more juice.

- Mac
Old 11/12/2004, 11:50 PM
Premium Member

I own 3 ampmaster 3000's.They are good but had to send one back for repair.I have heard nothing bad about Sequence pumps that have been out for a couple of years or so.The 1'' holes may have substrate moving around if you do not aim your fittings well.