Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 01/09/2008, 07:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by saltydragon
thanks joker....i looked for the post but guess i totally missed it....

so maximum is 10" so ill have to go with that.....(could use it for more water volume)
can someone explain why it wouldnt work over 11" of water.....
Stupid double post
Old 01/09/2008, 07:39 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by saltydragon
thanks joker....i looked for the post but guess i totally missed it....

so maximum is 10" so ill have to go with that.....(could use it for more water volume)
can someone explain why it wouldnt work over 11" of water.....
I can't say for sure that it WON'T work deeper than 10" but I suspect that the water level in the skimmer won't be controllable beyond that depth. I'm guessing the skimmer body water level will be too high and you'll end up with an overflow situation.

Why don't you test it out in a tub and see for yourself?
Old 01/09/2008, 07:40 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CyboRob
Hey 160er's

Trying to put mine together and need a little help.
Where does this go?
Put that in the pump intake with the thicker side facing out. That's the flow restrictor.
Old 01/09/2008, 07:45 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

I'm willing to bet that SWC didn't bother fixing the intake on the pump cover and that is why the pumps are not pulling over 20lpm. I'd like to see a photo of the grey cover without the reducer in there, one photo of the intake straight on from the front and one from the inside part of the cover.

Pics of my Sicce skimmer from Orca Systems are here, for reference/comparison:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1233652

fish: royal gramma, true perc, hepatus tang, hawaiin sailfin tang, citron goby, radiant wrasse, 1m, 1f solarensis wrasse, fed Rod food
Old 01/09/2008, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

great thread joker.

keep us posted
20L sump/fuge
2xKoralia 4
DIY auto top off
150lbs LS
130lbs LR
Old 01/09/2008, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jokerjp
I can't say for sure that it WON'T work deeper than 10" but I suspect that the water level in the skimmer won't be controllable beyond that depth. I'm guessing the skimmer body water level will be too high and you'll end up with an overflow situation.

Why don't you test it out in a tub and see for yourself?
i havent ordered the skimmer yet.....still deciding on the 160 or a ex-1...
but your right....i will test the skimmer in a tub and see where it performs best before i finish the baffles in the sump.....if i decide to get this skimmer....
Old 01/09/2008, 08:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ostrow
I'm willing to bet that SWC didn't bother fixing the intake on the pump cover and that is why the pumps are not pulling over 20lpm. I'd like to see a photo of the grey cover without the reducer in there, one photo of the intake straight on from the front and one from the inside part of the cover.

Pics of my Sicce skimmer from Orca Systems are here, for reference/comparison:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1233652
Hey ostrow! I just read that entire thread and I didn't see any pics of the intake cover....where did I miss them?

I'm happy to snap the pics you reqeusted, but it won't be till tomorrow.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:39 PM
Tank Collector

I took a quick shot from one of my pumps..... my camera sucks, but might be what youre looking for....

Ostrow, are you going to be at Keiths poker game again ?? If so I can bring the pumps for you to take a look at.....

Old 01/09/2008, 08:52 PM
Premium Member

I've got a big problem, built my sump to the specs of this footprint (7x9). Smallest side I can find is 8" and it does not fit in my sump.

I just want to smash it and quit this hobby right now!!!
Old 01/09/2008, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

ooo..that sucks.....is the sump acrylic or glass?
Old 01/09/2008, 09:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CyboRob
I've got a big problem, built my sump to the specs of this footprint (7x9). Smallest side I can find is 8" and it does not fit in my sump.

I just want to smash it and quit this hobby right now!!!
I just remeasured and I agree that although the footprint is 7" by 7" square, with the outflow pipe being on the corner it looks like the workable footprint is 8" x 9" including the standpipe. I don't know how I missed this in my original measurement, and I apologize for the error. I wish I could modify my original post with the real footprint numbers to prevent issues by other RC members.

Please don't smash your skimmer, compared to other reef tasks sump baffles are easily moved.

Last edited by jokerjp; 01/09/2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:19 PM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

jokerjp: The description of the mod needed to the cover is in the sicce pump thread. The one I linked to is just on my skimmer.

bad: Don't think I can make the game this time. Too bad I have enormous "frags" I could have brought. I can't see very well what I need to in those pics ... bit dark ... but it does look like it is dremel-ed out. If so, I can't for the life of me figure why you folks are only getting 15lpm on these pumps. I have 3 pulling 21-22lpm. When my skimmer was 2-pump both pulled 25-27lpm.

Something is wrong. Those first pics of the mesh look like awfully shoddy work to me. On these covers, if they are corrected it seems they were done with a dremel, not a CNC.

But, then again, these are made-in-China, dirt cheap skimmers. Prob to be expected.

fish: royal gramma, true perc, hepatus tang, hawaiin sailfin tang, citron goby, radiant wrasse, 1m, 1f solarensis wrasse, fed Rod food
Old 01/10/2008, 12:39 AM
DIY Junkie

Quote:
...But, then again, these are made-in-China, dirt cheap skimmers. Prob to be expected.
The pumps are made the same as all of the other Sicce's..in Italy As for the mods...the intake is opened to the full 1", by a drill not a dremel...I'm sure that your pumps from orca were donr the same way. Please don't start the "everything from china is crap" thing...we've all heard it enough Everything I have read says that the build quality in the skimmers is excellent...and I would say the same after seeing all 3 models in person. The MSX's are built like tanks!
Old 01/10/2008, 01:48 AM
Tank Collector

Quote:
jokerjp: The description of the mod needed to the cover is in the sicce pump thread. The one I linked to is just on my skimmer.

bad: Don't think I can make the game this time. Too bad I have enormous "frags" I could have brought. I can't see very well what I need to in those pics ... bit dark ... but it does look like it is dremel-ed out. If so, I can't for the life of me figure why you folks are only getting 15lpm on these pumps. I have 3 pulling 21-22lpm. When my skimmer was 2-pump both pulled 25-27lpm.

Something is wrong. Those first pics of the mesh look like awfully shoddy work to me. On these covers, if they are corrected it seems they were done with a dremel, not a CNC.

But, then again, these are made-in-China, dirt cheap skimmers. Prob to be expected.
Im guessing alot of the numbers on his is the difference of the skimmer sizes.... Unless im not understanding all of this (which could easily be... ) When he disconnected the pump from the body his air meter was pegged (so over 24 lpm at 36 watts. )

Would the fact that his skimmer body diameter is only 6.5" versus your 10" body skimmer make a difference ??? I'm guessing it would, but i'm not as knowledgeable as alot of you on these skimmers and their air numbers.

I do think the meshwheels were rushed because they were already running late due to customs and the holidays, but I'm guessing they will get that all ironed out....

The pumps are the same ones you're using, so I dont know about the cheap made in China comment... I also don't think they are "dirt cheap" skimmers... mine seems to be VERY well made, I just didnt feel like blowing $700 on a skimmer with one sicce pump, when I can get a much larger (and better designed IMO) one with 2 sicce pumps for $475.

I would say once I get my orca mods from protein-skimmer in and installed, we can test my MSX250 out and see how it goes if you would be up for it.... I only have a kill a watt, not an air meter....
Old 01/10/2008, 07:06 AM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

My pump covers were not simply drilled or dremel-ed. I can say that for sure. Well, the first one one dremel-ed but the other two were done more professionally. Unless you get your pumps from Shan, though, you will not get a new cover. Isn't his separate mod kit just mesh and intake reducer? I know the kit doesn't include a new pump cover!

I've seen these pumps pull well over 25lpm on an 8.5" skimmer diameter. Michael got over 35lpm on an 8" Euro-Reef body. But if the air jumps once disconnected then quite obviously something about the design is negatively affecting the performance. It would be good to figure out what that is.

Old 01/10/2008, 07:40 AM
Premium Member

Shan, being from Protien-Skimmers.com?
Old 01/10/2008, 08:24 AM
One Good Friend

Well it seems like the 160 is restricted to only do 30scfh as the pump off the skimmer does around 50. Pretty sure the 200 and 250 are full throttle at 50. I'll test mine when i get home as its supose to be here today.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:32 AM
Premium Member

I think the limiting factor on the 160 is the 90 degree eblow that the pump output empties into under the bubble plate.

As far as the 160 is concerned I have no idea why anyone thinks it needs more air than it's currently getting. @ ~30 SCFH I have the water level adjustment completely removed (as low as it will go) and the bubbles are breaking at a good level. Any more air and it would simply overflow IMO.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:10 AM
One Good Friend

Definately, there's no way it could handle more than 30-32scfh. Thats 900lph and enough air for a moderately stocked 150g. It looks to be one of the best compact skimmers out there. More room in your sump for other equipment!
Old 01/10/2008, 10:19 AM
Tank Collector

Quote:
My pump covers were not simply drilled or dremel-ed. I can say that for sure. Well, the first one one dremel-ed but the other two were done more professionally. Unless you get your pumps from Shan, though, you will not get a new cover. Isn't his separate mod kit just mesh and intake reducer? I know the kit doesn't include a new pump cover!

I've seen these pumps pull well over 25lpm on an 8.5" skimmer diameter. Michael got over 35lpm on an 8" Euro-Reef body. But if the air jumps once disconnected then quite obviously something about the design is negatively affecting the performance. It would be good to figure out what that is.
Can you get some good shots of your pump covers, my buddy runs a CNC and i'm sure I could clean mine up more.... just need a reference cover....

I think that arguing about the scfh on the 160 is about a done deal... I think like luke and joker that you dont need any more than that on a 6.5" body skimmer,,,,, it's working great the way it is.... When you start talking the MSX200 and MSX250, THATS where we should be looking to get these larger numbers...

Yes the new kit from him is just a new reducer and new mesh.... I plan on re-doing the mesh myself (im anal about that kinda thing) and then cleaning up the pumps if they need any more (I dont think they do) after seeing your cover.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:28 AM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

Oh I thought this was an 8" diameter. You are right.

Any restriction or redirection on the output will severely degrade the performance of the pump, so that explains it too. If the 200/250 models don't have this then the pumps will perform better on there.

Old 01/10/2008, 10:33 AM
One Good Friend

Yep, the 200's and 250's go straight into the bubble plate. I'll throw an air meter on it tonight after i get it going.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:26 PM
Tank Collector

Quote:
Originally posted by luke33
Yep, the 200's and 250's go straight into the bubble plate. I'll throw an air meter on it tonight after i get it going.
If you have to rebuild the meshwheel can you take a few pics of it....

I got my rebuild kits from protein-skimmer today..... I should be rebuilding tonight....
Old 01/10/2008, 02:15 PM
One Good Friend

Yep, i'll throw it on stock, then rebuild the mesh if i'm not satisfied...and i'll take pics of everything. Pretty sure there putting alot of mesh on them now and including extra mesh when you order one per MS. Which is cool.
Old 01/10/2008, 02:22 PM
clownfish fan

Luke did you buy a SWC skimmer?