Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs

Old 01/08/2008, 01:02 AM
Registered Member

Loc-line holdup

Well, I got the loc-line into the configuration I want it, but I ran into two problems. The first is that I used a "double nipple" fitting screwed into one of my bulkheads for the PVC fittings. (This is basically two sets of male threads attached end to end.) Anyway, it is stuck. And since it is up near the top corner of the tank and the only thing to grab is literally threads, I'm having trouble removing it. I don't have a vise-grips or I would try those, though I'm not even sure they would fit.

I could sand two flat faces into opposite sides of the threads with a dremel and then use a wrench, but that is more work than I had time to do this weekend, not to mention a mess.

The second problem stems from the fact that I am using a branched fitting on one of the returns. The bulkhead is so close to the wall and the tank top that I will not be able to screw in the branched loc-line; I'll have to screw in the straight part and then snap on the Y. Much easier to do with the top off, so I'm waiting to do it all at once.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:16 AM
Registered Member

I was productive over the weekend, though. I got the welding finished on my two acrylic projects: outside tank overflow and the new sump. Check 'em out:

I couldn't believe how sharp freshly routed acrylic can be! I cut myself twice putting the sump together, so I'm going to hold off on installing it until I can take off those nasty edges with a quick file job. On the sump, the larger side is where the drain comes in, and this leaves room for a skimmer (to be purchased soon). The smaller side is for my return pump and a nice lawn of chaeto, probably resting on some eggrcrate lighting grid above the pump. How does it look?

Oh and here's an FTS I took tonight. I think I need a better camera or maybe some training, but you get the idea.

Check out that red macroalgae (right pic). It just appeared while I was out of town. I haven't added live rock in about a year, so this was unexpected. Colors are really starting to come back after about 4 weeks under 20K halides.
Old 01/08/2008, 08:22 AM
Registered Member

Nice work on the acrylic! Looks sharp (in the good way). Have you water tested yet?

I must say, your tank is really looking like it's on the road to recovery - looks pretty nice.

For the threaded nipple problem, believe it or not, that's a pretty common problem with sprinkler systems as well . Have you considered using a riser-removal tool? I had to hunt to find a pic of one:
http://reticonline.com.au/cw135/inde...roducts_id=587

You can usually pick these up from your local home improvement store for about $5.... should do the trick for you I think.

Keep up the good work!

Hofstadter's Law -
It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Old 01/08/2008, 08:23 AM
Registered Member

Also, how's chubs?

Hofstadter's Law -
It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Old 01/08/2008, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

mathias999us, thanks for the heads up on that tool. I haven't tried manhandling it with a pair of pliers yet, but if that doesn't do the job, I will definitely go grab one of these. Good find. I plan on putting in the sump tonight, after I finish filing the edges. No water test yet, but I'm pretty confident it will hold, since I can see that all of the seams are hole-free. Some air bubbles, but nothing I can't live with. That's why I love acrylic, no mysteries there. And since I went with the 3/8ths material, the sump feels pretty bombproof.

Chubs continues to improve. I finally got some brine shrimp hatched and enriched with selcon, so I fed with those yesterday. All of the fish went into a frenzy, as expected. I took some pics yesterday but forgot to upload them. should be up tonight.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

So I got the sump in last night, and it rocks! My goals were to increase the sump capacity (now 9-10 gal), separate drain and return pump chambers to reduce microbubbles and most importantly, have the sump fit in the stand and still allow bucket storage as well. All these were successful, and as a side effect, the noise from my overflow somehow decreased about 75%. It's now so quiet that I almost don't need to add my new overflow box and gurgle buster. Pretty cool. It must have something to do with lower/optimal backpressure in the drain hose. It is now about 2-3 inches below the surface, and totally unobstructed. Quite a nice change from that idiotic bucket sump with the drain outlet smashed up against the wall of the bucket.
--------->
Old 01/10/2008, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

As promised, new pictures of chubs. As a squirrelly little toddler of a fish, he hates to hold still for photos, so I had to resort to the flash. It turns out that the camera flash scares the fish, but at least it doesn't wash out colors like it does for coral (must be due to the fact that they have reflective pigments rather than fluorescent ones like in corals). I bet it would be cool to rig up an actinic flash to use for reef pictures...

As you can see from the profile shot, chubs' sunken belly is gone and his fins have noticeably recovered. My girlfriend thinks I'm crazy, but I could swear this fish has grown since we got him!

I'm beginning to agree with those who claim aquacultured fish don't have the brains/instincts of wild ones. While my clown looks good and is fairly friendly, it has shown no interest in hosting either the green sinularia which looks superficially like an anemone, or the large frilly mushrooms that are ballooning in size under the halide. Is there any hope?
Old 01/10/2008, 12:46 AM
Registered Member

I have like 3 hammers, 2 torches, 1 frogspawn, and my tank raised aquacultered, yadda, yaada clowns wont go near any of them!! So Im leaning to NO!!
Old 01/10/2008, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

Oh, sorry, NICE TANK, glad to see it getting better!!
Old 01/10/2008, 01:41 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the kind words, and I'm jealous. I love those Euphyllias, they add so much color and movement. I've been trying to get one for less than the insane prices they charge at the stores, but no luck yet.

I can't say I'm really that sad if it doesn't host. In my last tank, I had a beautiful goldstripe maroon clown that wouldn't go farther than a few inches from its home in the RBTA. It's interesting to observe the behavior, but after a while I just wanted him to go exploring and add a little movement and comedy to the tank. Chubs and the clown seem to be hanging out a lot, so maybe it will help the little guy's rehabilitation...
Old 01/10/2008, 07:22 AM
Registered Member

Great work thrillreefer! This tank is really coming along. That's good news about the hippo too - I agree, I think he's still on the skinny side, but looking better. Do you still plan to put your new overflow on, even though the noise died down just with the new sump? Also, did you decide on a skimmer yet?

Hofstadter's Law -
Old 01/10/2008, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

I still plan to add the new overflow. While the noise is better, it isn't still completely silent, and I'm confident I can improve on this with the new overflow and gurgle buster. In addition, the current overflow is just laughably small and impossible to do any work in without two pairs of pliers. But at least it takes some pressure off so that I can take my time and maybe design a jig for the dremel to cut slots for the weir on the overflow. I'm hesitant to just rip off the existing box and start chopping into the back wall of my tank without a good plan, since I don't plan on draining it more than 1/3 of the way down.

As for the skimmer, I'm still really leaning towards the
Odyssea PL75 since I've read at least decent reviews and the price is unbeatable. I made sure that the right (drain) side of my sump is large enough to hold this guy, although it will be tight. I think I'm going to order it soon, now that I have a place to put it. Loc-line is going in soon, most likely this weekend. Still planning the chaeto/mixed macro chamber in the sump, probably above the return pump but separated well so I don't clog up the SCWD. The water turnover in the left sump chamber above the pump is low, but I'm not sure whether that is ideal for algal filtration.

As for the tang, I will continue to feed 3-4 tiny feedings per day between the time I get home and 1AM when the lights go off or I go to bed. I agree he's still a bit thin, but no longer dangerously so.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

Hi thrillreefer,

Just got done reading through your thread. Tank looks real good, nice work.

You mentioned you took the T to a LFS. I am also from the Boston area and I wanted to get your opinion on the LFS in the area. I have been to 3 so far, Lovely Pets in Quincy, Tropical Fish in Natick, and Skiptons in Dorchester. Have you been to any of these? Are there any others around?

So far I think I like Skiptons the best as far as service but getting there can be a pain since its on the other side of town and they are only open till 5. I end up having to go there on Saturdays. I do drive right by Tropical Pets on my way home from work, but I'm not a huge fan of that store.

Anywho as far as your skimmer choice goes the price looks great! I don't have any experience with it myself, I use an Aqua C Remora HOB and I love it. The price is quite a bit higher though. I'd def like to know your results with the PL75.
Old 01/12/2008, 01:08 AM
Registered Member

ExarKun: Glad you like the tank, I'm definitely starting to like how it looks. Still evolving, but that's most of the fun. As for fish stores, I haven't found any closer than Lovely, though I don't think it's that great. The main guy working there is a good guy, and he knows a lot, so I don't mind going in there. They seem to have good fish and some corals, but the corals are way overpriced. I go there for food and occasional supplies. The store I mentioned going to was Tropic Isle Aquarium out in Framingham. It took me almost two hours each way because I had to take the commuter rail and then walk a couple miles (should have brought my bike). That store is excellent though, you should go if you haven't checked it out. It's out in the 'burbs where they can afford the space for a nice big showroom. They had a great selection of fish that all looked healthy, and some nice corals and a few clams. Decent prices, especially on the fish, I thought. It was worth my two hours, so if you can drive out there it would totally be worth it.

I think my favorite store in the area is down south by providence. I think they somehow don't have a website (or I can't find it) but it is either Rumford Aquarium in E. Providence or Sea Creature Aquarium north of Providence. I'm pretty sure it's the second one.

IF you ever go up north, there's one I went to up in NH by White River Junction at the VT border. Surprisingly nice, but I can't remember the name. Kinda far anyway.

By the way, have you checked out the Boston Reefer Societey? If not, check it out, the forums are decent although they don't get the amount of participation as RC. Some of the reefers on the site have incredible tanks, and I've gotten some nice frags for very cheap.

I'm torn on the skimmer. If I get one, I'll get that one since it's cheap and I wouldn't feel to foolish if I wrecked it by modding the heck out of it. On the other hand, I haven't run a skimmer in years (and never for long) and I haven't missed it. I am considering just growing a whole bunch of chaeto and caulerpa in the right side of my sump, rather than getting a skimmer that I might have to constantly have to adjust and mess with. The algal filtration appeals to my biologist's aesthetic. But on that hand's other hand, I haven't really loved how my tank looked and had excellent coral growth, and this might be attributable to me not running a skimmer for all this time...