Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/16/2005, 10:46 PM
Send money....

Question Durso/bulkhead connection question

I built my own dursos and I think they're going to work ok, but I have slip bulkheads and the durso just slides down into the bulkhead. Unfortunately, I get some water seeping around the base of the durso and down the drain pipe. According to durso's site, this connection has to be water tight. Is there anything I can do to fix this and still have the durso able to be removed if I should want to? btw, the plumbing is already glued into the lower part of the bulkhead, so can't do anything to approach from that angle, and the overflows are 2 feet deep, so reaching in from the top isn't going to be easy either. thanks
Old 12/16/2005, 10:59 PM
SKIM IT REAL GOOD!

It should work fine the way you have it now. I never have glued my Dan's in. That is what I call them since I modify mine further.
Old 12/16/2005, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

Could always glue a short section of PVC into the bulkhead slip with a slip/thread adapter on the end, put another slip/thread (F or M, whatever the other isn't) on the Durso end.
Old 12/17/2005, 02:54 AM
Premium Member

If the leak bad enough that you think it might be a problem just wrap them with some teflon tape. But I would not worry about it. If you are getting a leak under the tank then it is from the bulkheads, not the slip joint.
Old 12/17/2005, 08:18 AM
Send money....

No, not a leak under the tank, just water seeping around the base of the durso and dribbling through the drains and into the sump. I had thought about the teflon tape, but wasn't sure just how well that would stay wrapped on the pipe after I stuck it down in there. And this is the first time for me to do these dursos, I just saw on his site that he said this connection had to be watertight and I was not sure just how vital that component of the setup was to its overall operation. It is something now, however, that I have to keep in mind because in the event of an extended power failure my sump must be ready to take the full volume of water in both of my overflows along with any back siphon of water from my returns. (yes, I have anti-siphon holes drilled in them and they won't be very far under the surface anyway) Thanks for the replies...and keep them coming if anyone has any other opinions on this.