Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/16/2007, 08:21 AM
Premium Member

Purple Hair Algae

I have purple macro algae that almost looks like hair algae growing all over my tank. It is really difficult to remove because it is attached so tightly to the rock. Here is a picture of it.

Is there any fish or other type of creature that will eat this and be small enough for a 24 gallon tank?

Thanks for the help.
Old 06/16/2007, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

You need to pull out what you can, atleast trim it back. a lawnmower blenny or Mexican turbo snail might like it. What have you tried?
Old 06/16/2007, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

pull all of it off that you can.. thats what i do an my LMB munches it..but then again hes like almost 6 inches long..

scott
Old 06/16/2007, 02:31 PM
old enough to know better

That looks like red turf algae ... if so .. good luck because I don't think anything eats it and its a tough algae to deal with. In some cases people will toss the worse rocks .. many will remove the rocks and scrub.
Old 06/16/2007, 04:21 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try the mexican turbo snails like the article says. How many should I get for my tank?
Old 06/16/2007, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

general rule of thumb is one snail per 10 gallons i believe, i have 4 in my 45 gallon and they cleaned the entire back glass clean in a day
Old 06/17/2007, 09:01 AM
Genuine reef addict

My LM blenny doesn't go for that type (but they seem to differ in what they'll eat). Turbos maybe. I've had a ton of success with a sea hare eating some rock hugging, mat-like dark green fibrous stuff. He's also eaten the little bit of hair algae that the turbos & LM blenny wouldn't eat. He even ate a few small patches of a brown-black cyano. The thing amazes me in how clean my rock has gotten in the week since I put him in. Trying to get him to eat some dried algae on a clip now, but I may have to put him up for adoption in the local reef club so that he doesn't eventually starve.

Ugly but adorable critter. My wife even likes him!
Old 06/17/2007, 09:19 AM
Premium Member

As I've discovered, not all "sea hares" are the same. I ordered two before I realized this is what I wanted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Awesome-GREEN-BA...QQcmdZViewItem

The seller seems knowledgeable. I'd ask him about your hair algae to find out.
Old 06/17/2007, 10:05 AM
Genuine reef addict

Yep - that's the type I have. Amazing algae eater!