Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/12/2007, 07:05 AM
Registered Member

SPS experts

I just started to get the SPS bug

I was wondering if there are any known SPS that just dont survive in the Aquarium setting? I just dont wanna drop some cash and have it die.

Here are a few i am very interested in and wonder if they are good and dont require an expert to keep.

My tank is also a 60 cube with 55 gallon Skimmer/Return/Fuge I have 2 Koralia 3's as circulation do you think i could use another Koralia 3?

Here are the corals i am interested in

True Undata
Atlantis Blueberry with rasberry tip mille
ORA German Green with blue tips
ORA Roscoe
Tyree Tri color Bali
30,000 leagues Lonkani
Pink lemonade
Original Garf Purple Banzai

calcium 480
ALk 9.6
Mag 1350
nitrates 5ppm

Thanks
Old 12/12/2007, 09:21 AM
Registered Member

I'll take a stab since I have most of those corals. Most of them are well established, have been aquacultured for some time and should hold their colors. This is the main reason, IMO, that they demand such high prices. Your parameters look good, nitrates a little bit high (if thats an accurate reading), but PO4 is very important to know (accurately).
As for flow, some of those corals definately do better under high flow (pink lemonade for sure). Mine gets crazy polyp extension when the flow is cranked.

I would try some of the ORA corals first and see how they respond.
Old 12/12/2007, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

I have had great success with my undata and i only have it in a 24 gallon aquapod with a 150w halide. I also have the german green with blue polyps and its keeing nice color just not grow fast
Old 12/12/2007, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

Very nice and expensive SPS selection. I recently purchased the Lokani and it has colored up nicely. I also have the Roscoe's which is also a nice piece. I really want the Pink Lemonade or Rasberry Lemonade Nasuta and the Blue Echinata from Atlantis.
Old 12/12/2007, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

Hey there, I am certainly no expert but have some experience with sps. I have half of your wish list, and more. Those are all very nice corals. Im my experience, I did not get the desired results,i.e. coloration , polyp extension,good growth, until all my parameters were zero, ecspecially the nitrates. Assuming you have good flow and lighting, I would try to get your nitrates to zero. You can get consumed with all the nuances in this hobby. I try to keep it simple, and those elements you posted are the major ones in my opinion. The corals you desire are realtively expensive, i would invest as much time and energy towards your equipment in maintaining optimal conditions. I think all corals sps and lps are difficult to maintain, they are living creatures. Some may require less attention than others. You certainly can increase your chance of survival with aquacultured, and at the same time save the endangered reefs. This has been my experience. I hope this helps. Al
Old 12/12/2007, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the info.