Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/18/2005, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

Question Hermit Shells - Where to buy?

Is there any place online to order hermit crab shells from other than liveaquaria? They only have it available on their live goods website and the minimum purchase is $30.00 which is absolutely ridiculous when all I want to do is get 2 lots of hermit crab shells for $12.

Are there any other options? I called them and they won't make an exception, though the guy I spoke with is passing the complaint along and agrees that it is moronic to have their site setup in this fashion.
Old 02/18/2005, 09:40 PM
Send me email with ?

I've seen some advertised on eBay.

I have assorted hermit crab shells ($15./25 +$4 s/h).

But I would hope you're using them for decoration only. I would hope you don't really have hermit crabs (unless that is the main creature(s) in your display).
Old 02/18/2005, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

I purchased quite a few various sized shells at the local craft store called "Michael's". My two scarlets have already turned over/explored all of them even the much larger ones. hehe
Old 02/18/2005, 10:00 PM
Premium Member

Saltwaterfish.com They may have a min order but buy something else like plants.
Old 02/18/2005, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

I would like to get this as a dry good and not have to order live goods along with it which skyrockets the price of the shipping.

I have only two LFS that sell marine fish/supplies and they both have diddly squat for shells.

I have a few zebras that are getting large enough that they'll die if I don't find some more shells for them to choose from. Anyone know of an online store that sells these as dry goods? Saltwaterfish.com is even more ridiculous than liveaquaria.

Seriously, I can't believe that noone sells these as a separate item. This is crazy that I have to buy a bunch of live animals in order to get a bunch of shells they could practically stick in a tiny little box and mail to me for $4. C'mon...

This is frustrating.
Old 02/18/2005, 10:18 PM
Fish nerd

I don't know how the price compares, but you can buy them from Premium Aquatics. I couldn't find them until I used their search feature. I buy a few from time to time when I order my dry goods.

Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms.
-George Eliot
Old 02/18/2005, 10:43 PM
You're my boy blue!

I have also seen them at Michaels, I would check out your local craft stores, you should be able to find them there for pretty cheap.
Old 02/18/2005, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

You can get bags of shells at WalMart in the cloth area, no idea what it's called. You get a bag for a couple of dollars and some of the shells are usable and some aren't, but a couple of bags should give you all you need.

I boil them for about 5 minutes before adding to be on the safe side, but I've never had a problem.