Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2008, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

tax audit question....

Hi All,
I just had a general question regarding tax audit. How many years can the IRS go back to audit? A friend of mine got audited twice and she was wondering the chances of it happening again. Thanks all..
Old 01/01/2008, 09:45 PM
Reefer

Google is your friend.

Time Limits for Refunds, Audits, and Collections
Old 01/01/2008, 10:33 PM
Is it gonna rain today?

Also, after you are audited the first time, you go on the IRS's "hit list". I was audited for my 1999 return, and have been audited an additional three times, since (2002, 2003 and 2005).

In only one of those cases could the IRS prove I owed them more money, and it only amounted to a little over $500.

So, when you are audited once, it's likely you will be audited again, and again, and again (not for the same tax year, but for one of the following years).
Old 01/01/2008, 11:15 PM
Guardian of Little People

Quote:
Originally posted by Weatherman
Also, after you are audited the first time, you go on the IRS's "hit list". I was audited for my 1999 return, and have been audited an additional three times, since (2002, 2003 and 2005).

In only one of those cases could the IRS prove I owed them more money, and it only amounted to a little over $500.

So, when you are audited once, it's likely you will be audited again, and again, and again (not for the same tax year, but for one of the following years).
Could you cite some authoritative source for this claim, other than your anecdotal experience?

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 01/01/2008, 11:31 PM
On "The List"

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianD
Could you cite some authoritative source for this claim, other than your anecdotal experience?
If I knew the difference between anecdote and antidote, Jimmy Johnson might still be alive.
When we were 10 years old, a rattlesnake bit him & I started reading funny stories to him from the reader’s digest.

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 01/02/2008, 12:25 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

The only "list" belongs to DC. I'd rather get audited.
Old 01/02/2008, 09:17 AM
Is it gonna rain today?

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianD
A more precise way of putting it is that once you start doing something “unusual”, and continue doing “unusual” things, your probability of being audited is higher.

fe342185’s friend had already been audited twice. This suggests that whatever stood out on her tax returns was not a one-time event or mistake.

When it comes to the IRS, the best thing you can do is be “normal”. If you start doing, and continue to do “unusual” things, even if those things are perfectly legal (and, hopefully, profitable), you should expect the IRS to send you love letters much more often.
Old 01/02/2008, 11:19 PM

The IRS doesn't put people on a "hit list". That is as simple as I can put it. Being audited does not increase your chance to be audited again in the future.

Old 01/03/2008, 12:00 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

My uncle and cousins used a tax guy years ago that had been a long time IRS agent. I couldn't believe the crap they got away with I got to BS with him once and he told me a certain percentage are audited by the luck of the draw but mostly its because you popped up a flag with your deduction in one or more areas.
Old 01/03/2008, 12:39 AM
Nano Reefer

Like Grim said, it really comes down to if your return throws up any "red flags". These usually include higher percentage deductions to income, etc.
Old 01/03/2008, 01:56 AM
WTMRAC Bean Counter

Do a Google search for DIF Score

the IRS has a mathematical calculation to estimate the liklihood of unreported income on a return. The components of the DIF are changed periodically depending on area of focus for the IRS or activities on a return that statistics show have a higher incidence of evasion/unreported income..... the so called "flags".
Old 01/03/2008, 09:30 AM

Yes, "red flags" are your best chance to be audited.
For example, claiming $20,000 in contributions when you earn $30,000.