Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture

Old 07/25/2006, 07:35 PM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by fillibar
Square ones could also be fashioned in a larger mold, more produced at one time. If all the pieces only have those little connecting pieces between them for the plastic to flow, you would be able to snap them off at will. Any square-edged shape, pretty large sizes, you definitely have the right idea Snarkys. I made a batch of aragonite ones myself that are square (figuring along the same route) with bases that fit into eggcrate... Too tedious to make and cure though. Somebody take Snarkys' idea, mass produce it, and send him a few thousand for compensation.

lol i wish .

I made a bunch of square ones too and it was a royal pain in the butt. curing them in large quantities sucked too. now i have my RO waste water go through a bucket with them for curing but i never really know when they are done . One batch i didn't do long enough and the corals didn't like it one bit , when i re plumed it a few months later the pipes were filled with cement ....
Old 08/16/2006, 10:23 AM
Premium Member

He invented and invested in the Idea....whay cant he profit from it? Selling these for anything under 50 cents each is not a bad deal no matter how you look at it. And it price is your main concern when we are talking about 20 to 30 cents...then this hobby may not be for some of you :-p
Old 08/16/2006, 01:56 PM
kArBoN aDdIkT

Quote:
Originally posted by xclan
He invented and invested in the Idea....whay cant he profit from it? Selling these for anything under 50 cents each is not a bad deal no matter how you look at it. And it price is your main concern when we are talking about 20 to 30 cents...then this hobby may not be for some of you :-p
lets see you go through 1000 a month, then tell me that .20 or .30 each is cheap......

Matt
Old 08/16/2006, 02:06 PM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by tangwang
lets see you go through 1000 a month, then tell me that .20 or .30 each is cheap......

Matt
no offence but if you go through 1000 a month then you should have your own mold made.
Old 08/16/2006, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

I agree and 1000 a month your making enough to cover it ...
Old 08/16/2006, 05:02 PM
kArBoN aDdIkT

Quote:
Originally posted by Snarkys
no offence but if you go through 1000 a month then you should have your own mold made.
None taken I do make my own
Old 08/17/2006, 02:05 AM
Registered Member

I went through 1000 already...
Old 08/17/2006, 04:43 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Anyone know where to get these for less than $0.30 a piece? Anyone have a link? Thanks.
Old 08/17/2006, 09:47 PM
Industry Professional

Dont spend too much time looking, you probably wont find them any cheaper than that unless you are buying 10,000 or more.

I speak for myself and no one else.
Old 08/20/2006, 12:50 PM
Premium Member

Picked up a hundred yesterday at the Reef-A-Palooza (fragswap) in Los Angeles. Very nice, top notch to say the least. After seeing them first hand, I can assure you they are worth the money. The newest version takes the cake though!!!
Old 08/20/2006, 05:06 PM
Mantis Freak

ya i got 20 yesterday to try them out and i love them! they are amazing i cant wait till the new ones come out well worth the money!
Old 08/20/2006, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

What color were they ? I have seen them make a few different colors . I have also seen them make some agrocrete plugs lil the bali plugs which these smaller plugs fit into.
Old 08/20/2006, 08:05 PM
RC Sponsor

whats the new version ?
Old 08/20/2006, 09:45 PM
Premium Member

A bit smaller, and more options (like two positions on eggcrate - in hole, on cross + little indent on top for tooth pick, and a hole on the bottom for floating on styro for shipping). The ones I got were white. IIRC, the new ones will come in white/black/blue.
Old 08/20/2006, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

Hmm Sounds like someone else has copied these . As I don't recall those at all and I know the manufacture as they are local to me .
Old 08/20/2006, 10:36 PM
Premium Member

Nope, same person mentioned in this thread, and the one that is local to you. They haven't come out yet, he only had proto types on hand I was reading the color options on a flyer I picked up from him.
Old 08/20/2006, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

Ahh Time to go snooping I can use some more plugs
Old 08/20/2006, 11:07 PM
Premium Member

Let us know when they come out, if that's revealed in your snooping
Old 08/21/2006, 11:17 AM
Coral Cutter! Muahaha!

I managed to find my cheaper solution. Although not as slick as these plugs, they do what I want them to do which is encourage growth of SPS and Zoanthids.

Its a sheet of 32 - (2 rows of 16) tumbled marble tiles that are 1"x1". Theres 2 types of tile per sheet, pure calcified marble, and quartz calcium marble mix. They are extremely pourous which should promote faster encrusting. Heavy enough to stop things from knocking them over on either eggcrate or loose in the tank. You do have to remove some glue however. I let them soak in RO water for 48 hours and let my kid peel the glue off 320 of them (which she thought was fun). I dropped all 320 of them into the sump 2 weeks ago and there is no effect on pH in the tank.

Cost from Lowes is $4.50ish per sheet. Cost per tile = ~ $.15

This isn't an exact pic of the tile sheet, but this is what the pure calcium ones look like:

Old 08/21/2006, 11:19 AM
Coral Cutter! Muahaha!

I suppose if you had a retailers license, you could find those at less than $3.00 per sheet. Thats less than $.10 per tile.
Old 08/21/2006, 11:25 AM
RC Sponsor

thank you , never thought about useing them.

however if you ship your corals i bet it costs way more in the long run to use the tiles over the lighter plastic.
Old 08/23/2006, 06:36 AM
Registered Member

Cool idea on the tiles - would be expensive for shipping, but water is the heavy part to worry about
Old 08/23/2006, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

you could also use porcelain tiles. they come in every size and color. they will not leach nor-absorb anything either. maybe a better alternative to real stone since marble and limestone have been known to have all sorts of stuff inside it.
more than likely cheaper too!
Old 08/23/2006, 03:56 PM
Coral Cutter! Muahaha!

The tumbled marble is either calcite or dolomite, which are reef building compounds. Shouldn't be anything else in there to leech out. They weigh almost nothing as well. Dont think they'd contribute that much to the cost. Plus using breather bags, you can get away with less water.
Old 08/23/2006, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

Agreed any non colored marble is going to be fine as it is calcium .

Colored or speckled marble has various metals in it to acheive the color or look.