Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/11/2002, 08:05 PM
Reefer

mine swing around, but they do not knock each other. i think the a theory for hanging them is so that they can swing. instead of creating circulation around a stationary coral, we are making the coral sway in the current as to increase the water flow around it.
Old 10/11/2002, 08:25 PM
Premium Member

hmm..I thought it was to use up space that would otherwise be wasted
Old 10/11/2002, 11:42 PM
Reefer

that too. i guess my reasoning was different than yours.
Old 01/06/2003, 11:24 AM
Frag Pimp

A few quick questions on this:

Has anyone used the hanging method or the soda bottle method for monti cap & how did it plate?

Also: I have some leftover flexible plastic mesh sheeting that I initially use for the cone of a homegrown fish trap: think this would work for GSP? would make fragging and trading a snap, since it can be cut to size/shape once it's covered.
Old 01/28/2003, 08:22 PM
Premium Member

Hi all,

Since this thread is several months old now, I was hoping that some of you would care to share your experiences w/ suspension frags. You know, successes/failures, unusual growth patterns(got pics?), lessons learned, that sort of thing. I'm sure that some of this has been posted in their own threads, but I was kinda hoping to put everything in one place.(A start to finish sorta thing) Any takers?
Old 11/14/2003, 12:41 AM
TOF

SPS hanging

Great thread. Since the search function is unavailable, can anyone (Anthony?) point me toward the specifics of how the corals are hung? What's used to suspend them, thread? Monofilament? hung from their base? Depth?
Anthony, I do have your first book, but it's in the land of "it's around here somewhere". Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I'm just setting up a 120 that'll be my first all SPS endeavor. My 240 is all LPS and softies, so this is VERY new ground (or water) for me.
TIA,
Tagamet
Old 11/14/2003, 06:28 PM
TRC Leader

Quoting form Calfo's BOCP, pg. 60..

Quote:
Corals are to be suspended from monofilament string (fishing line) for the purpose of maximizing water flow and lighting for growth in mariculture. Evenly spaced, transversed PVC or plastic rods will support the colonies on string and can be dated or otherwise labled for livestock management.
HTH
Old 11/14/2003, 07:42 PM
TOF

Quote:
Originally posted by TippyToex
Quoting form Calfo's BOCP, pg. 60..

HTH
Thank you! Yes, it helps a great deal. I think I'll "hang" some tomorrow.
Tagamet
Old 11/14/2003, 09:46 PM
TRC Leader

Glad to help. Take some pictures if you can. I love this idea, even for a display tank. I plan on doing some "hanging" in my tank soon. I would love to see how Psammocora grows using suspension.

I hope the folks that have tried this method will post some updated pics.
Old 11/14/2003, 10:25 PM
TOF

Absolutely

Quote:
Glad to help. Take some pictures if you can. I love this idea, even for a display tank. I plan on doing some "hanging" in my tank soon. I would love to see how Psammocora grows using suspension.

I hope the folks that have tried this method will post some updated pics.
Yes! Anyone out there tried this in their tanks? (aside from Anthony Calfo). Pictures please.
Tagamet
Old 11/15/2003, 09:28 AM
Editor - Reefkeeping

Tagamet: here's Anthony's article in Reefkeeping Magazine...

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-0...ture/index.htm
Old 11/15/2003, 11:42 AM
TOF

Skipper

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipper
Tagamet: here's Anthony's article in Reefkeeping Magazine...

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-0...ture/index.htm
thanks so much! That was very nice of you to search that out for me. I'm sure it'll be a good read (and lead to even MORE questions). It may be covered in the article, but won't there either be a "line" on the coral where the mono was, or will the coral encrust the line?
Tagamet
Old 11/15/2003, 03:16 PM
Premium Member

I would assume the flesh would grow around the line, and eventually the skeleton would follow. I just suspended some frags last night after reading this post. Very cool experiment and use of valuable space.
Old 11/15/2003, 05:04 PM
TOF

Creeper,
Yeah, if it works, that "wasted" space could really be productive!. Keep us posted. What kind are ou going to try? I'll be hanging some tonight.
Tagamet
Old 11/15/2003, 05:06 PM
TOF

ou = you
Old 11/16/2003, 04:00 PM
TRC Leader

Creeper & Tagamet- Post some pictures if you can. I would be very interested in seeing what & how you will be suspending.
Old 11/16/2003, 04:53 PM
Premium Member

I can post pictures later, once I get some time. I now have hanghing a frag of each: green w/ purple rim monti cap., green acro yongei (green slimer), green w/pink tip millipora, and a green w/red polyp acro sp.

Most frags are about 1 1/2 to 2".
Old 11/16/2003, 05:46 PM
TOF

pic

Quote:
Creeper & Tagamet- Post some pictures if you can. I would be very interested in seeing what & how you will be suspending.
Not a great pic, but a pic, nonetheless. a piece of birdsnest (seriotopia -sp), Psmania, and pocillipora (all spellings are incorrect )
Tagamet
Old 11/16/2003, 06:15 PM
TRC Leader

Creeper- I am looking forward to the pics. Mostly seeing how the M. cap grows out.

Tagamet Excellent! Thanks for the pic. I hope you get some quick and diverse growth.
Old 11/16/2003, 06:22 PM
TOF

Thanks, TippeyT. Creeper, Didn't Calfo experss concern about trying monti? Maybe he just said it'd be interesting to see what shape a typically plating coral might take.
Tagamet
Old 11/16/2003, 06:30 PM
TRC Leader

Hey Tag, are you speaking of this quote..

Quote:
. This technique has been demonstrated to be especially effective with Pocilloporids (Pocillopora, Seriatopora and Stylophora), Agariciids (Pavona), Galaxea, Psammocora and Hydnophora, to be specific. Most Acroporids (Acropora and Montipora) fare equally well grown this way, although some species and morphologies are less forgiving (such as tabling forms that we may want to fix securely and coax into an expected natural form).
From the above link Skipper gave? Maybe just because they grow out in a more funky manner, not what people desire in a M. cap perhaps. Not to sure.
Old 11/16/2003, 06:46 PM
TOF

Quote:
Hey Tag, are you speaking of this quote..

From the above link Skipper gave? Maybe just because they grow out in a more funky manner, not what people desire in a M. cap perhaps. Not to sure.
Precisely. It'd be really interesting if a typically plating coral ended up growing into a "free form" or even round. It'd be even more interesting deciding what to *do* with it. I suppose it could be split in half and the "inside" placed "down". Otherwize, the underside would die for lack of light. I keep picturing drops of water in the space shuttle being perfectly spherical. A Monti Cap like that??? The psammocora that I'm doing is typically "flat", too.
Assuming they survive, it should be an interesting experiment.
Tagamet
Old 11/16/2003, 06:47 PM
Premium Member

These are some of Brian Greene's acros that he has in suspension, the best examples that I have seen of them so far

Rocky
Old 11/16/2003, 06:54 PM
TOF

Quote:
Originally posted by scubadude
These are some of Brian Greene's acros that he has in suspension, the best examples that I have seen of them so far

Rocky
Sweet! One question though - how does he keep them from getting all tangled? Even moderate current really makes my three swing pretty much. His seem to be hung very clase together.
Tagamet
Old 11/16/2003, 07:06 PM
Premium Member

Great pics Scubadude.

All of this is experimental (in my mind), and I'm sure that everyones specimens will grow out differently. I think that current will play a huge roll in the shape of the plating type corals.
I am very interested to see how the Monti Cap grows out in my tank. I don't think that it will take a ball formation, that doesn't seem very beneficial to the coral. I think that it will plate out close to normal. My hope is that it won't tier (vertical layer) itself like the mother colony. One big vase of a coral would be cool. I have it located in a relatively low flow area.
All of my suspensions are recieving current from a 5 gal surge device (soon to be 2), and 440W vho lighting (2 super actinics and 2 50/50), hung about 6" below the surface of the water.