Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers

Old 01/03/2008, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

AEFW's never had em. Got em now!!

Just found out my tank has aefw's. Had a milli that started looking bad over last couple weeks. Couldn't figure it out. All the other corals look good. So far that is! Dipped in Lugol's Iodine and started seeing all these semi transparent flat looking things floating in the water. The longer it was in the dip the more I seen. Started looking real close and just about had a fit.
First question is can they hitchhike in on say a clam. Second question would be can the tank be treated or dol I have to dip each individual coral. Man I can't believe this is happening!!
Old 01/04/2008, 01:25 AM
Registered Member

I'm sorry to hear that you got AEFW. tank pest suck I got them too I would like too know what we can use to cure the whole system instead of dipping them individually. I think yhey can be brought into the system from any thing. Good luck.
Old 01/04/2008, 09:01 AM
Catch and release

IMO they can be present for a long time (months/years) before you notice them. It is conceivable they could hitchhike in on a clam but I would say it's doubtfull.
The entire tank cannot be treated. The corals all must be removed and treated in a separate system. It's a major PITA and lots of people including myself have lost most of their corals treating this way......some have been more successful. If you don't plan on trading/selling frags living with them is possible depending on what type you have.......some seem to be more aggressive. Most that try to live with them use a powerhead to blow the corals off and let fish such as certain types of wrasses eat them. I did this for several months with limited success. Here are some threads to help:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=756327
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...ef+temperature
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...t&pagenumber=3
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=9
Living with them:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...&pagenumber=22
hth, Chris
Old 01/05/2008, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

Well I just dipped most a my acros this evening in TMPCC. Talk about color loss and quick to. I didn't see any flat worms come of the corals I dipped. I did blast each one with a power head before removing them and putting them back in the tank. I guess time will tell. The corals I dipped showed no signs of color loss or stress and all had good PE before the dip. I'm sure it will take a few days/wks for them to recover.
Old 01/06/2008, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

Looks like since the dip last night I'm going to loose 1 maybe 2 acros. My yellow Bali Bottle Brush has completely bleached and my yellow Austrea isn't looking to good either. Sucks big time. Not so sure it was worth it now.
Old 01/06/2008, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

So sorry to here about the aefw's

Nick
Old 01/06/2008, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SHARKBAITNC
So sorry to here about the aefw's

Nick
Thanks. Never had pest problems like this when I kept LPS. Their not near as demanding but I'll just keep fighting back and I WILL WIN!!!
Old 01/06/2008, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Patterso
Thanks. Never had pest problems like this when I kept LPS. Their not near as demanding but I'll just keep fighting back and I WILL WIN!!!
Thats the attitude you need dont give up they will be persistant, but if you keep attacking you will win.