Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks

Old 12/03/2004, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

And here I posted a new thread on Dwarf Lions.....just found this good article.

Kaye
Old 01/10/2005, 06:27 AM
Registered Member

Hello. My name is SunShine and I usually frequent the Seahorse.org forum. However, I have a scorpion fish that I am looking for a home for. If I posted in the wrong place, I apologize in advance.

Last edited by billsreef; 01/10/2005 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01/10/2005, 10:50 AM
10 & Over Club

[welcome]

We do have Sale/Trade for non-commercial hobbyiest use. You just need to have listed firm asking price

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 01/10/2005, 11:12 AM
How YOU doin?

SunShine-Any chance you used to live in Union, Maine?

Reefcentral Folding@Home team 37251 - Click my little red house to learn more and help medical science!
Old 01/10/2005, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

no we live in Mechanicsville, MD. I noticed you removed the link. Should I have posted in the other forum?
Old 01/11/2005, 12:46 AM
10 & Over Club

Sun_Shining,

Check your PM's

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 05/06/2005, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

nice
Old 11/30/2005, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

awesome aricle and perfect timing. im intorcucing a Fu to a fuzzy this week

75g tank and stand $275
Old 03/19/2006, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

bump
Old 04/26/2006, 01:46 AM
Registered Member

Hey, did someone say they posted an article on dwarfs? I'd be really interested to see it because I just bought a small dwarf fuzzy and was wondering if I could keep some larger clown species with him.
Old 05/12/2006, 03:25 AM
Registered Member

Great article! Enjoyed it very much and thought it was well written.
Old 06/12/2006, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

Great article on lion fish.
Old 12/21/2006, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

lionfish has venom, but how do you clean the tank?
Old 12/21/2006, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zermeno
lionfish has venom, but how do you clean the tank?
----carefully. ive had a fuzzy and a fu man chu, they always swim away from you. my scorpion fish do the same but ya still gotta look and see where everyone is every time you put ur hand in the tank.

75g tank and stand $275
Old 02/06/2007, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

Frank: What is a good diet with frozen fish for a dwarf lion? couple of weeks one fish and then anohter? Here is very expensive the octopus and shrimp. Would be ok to fed them fish only?

Thanks

DAvid
Old 02/07/2007, 11:36 PM
10 & Over Club

gulf shrimp chunks, and cheap sw whitefish, rotate thru different sw fish meat, but shrimp is fine
Old 02/11/2007, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

Frank, im trying to feed shrimp and he only want live shrimp....Any other advise on how to make him eat dead shrimp? I attached the shrimp so it moves with the movement of water but no success till now

Thanks

DAvid
Old 02/11/2007, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

double post

Last edited by dav99; 02/11/2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03/09/2007, 12:42 PM
Premium Member

I want to thank you for the great article. I've read up on predatory/ scorpion fish and have kept a frogfish (black pictus) for several years now.

Recently I spotted a yellow (with red stripes) dwarf lionfish at a LFS. It looks much like the one in the article. I debated during the LFS visit, and even though I had a running bill going with some bagged corals I couldn't leave the store without that rare yellow dwarf. I will try to post a pic of it later when I get home.

I have a big reef tank upgrade planned this spring/summer and all along planned on keeping the reef's current home, a 120g 4'x2' tank, in the loop as a fish-only with a lionfish and perhaps a small dogface puffer, etc. The yellow lionfish purchase is putting the cart before the horse a bit but he is doing very well in my 150g sump-tub for now. I am considering putting a 92g corner tank into the loop barebottom for him ahead of my other tank project+reef swap. The lionfish is very friendly and will even eat from your hand, though I am wary of doing that hehe.

I use a feeding stick someone on the RC frogfish files forum suggested along time ago. This feeding stick may also help people who are having trouble getting their predatory fish to eat thawed food(see below). I highly recommend it, with a drop of selcon mashed/soaked into the foodstuff. The selcon adds extra nutrition and also smells great to fish (don't overdo the selcon though).

To make the feeding stick - take a long section of rigid airline tubing and force a small section of flexible airline tubing onto the end of it. Then feed a fishing line down tube. Tie it off to a handle or some sort on the top end, leaving short length of fishing line protruding from the bottom end of the tube.
You impale the food item onto the fishing line. If the fish gobbles up the line too far he will be on the flexible airline tubing, which is a lot more forgiving then a typical feeding stick. Another benefit to using this feeding stick is that it is transparent so may help to enhance the illusion that the food is live and swimming, especially with alittle 'puppeteering'.

Here is a pic of the veryend of my feeding stick. I actually keep a bit more fishing line hanging out than in this pic. I have a handle on the other end attached with a rubberband. If the frogfish (or other fish) ever gets stuck I can hold the rigid air tube with one hand while pulling the handle with the other hand in order to retract the fishing line.

Old 03/10/2007, 09:09 PM
Premium Member

Here is a pic of my yellow dwarf lionfish. This pic does not do him justice. He will look alot more stunning when I have him in a glass tank with proper lighting. I will try to get a pic of him feeding tomorrow. When I feed him he swims in the water column with his pectoral fins outward as if hes gliding on stationary oriental fan-wings. It is very cool looking - the lines on the pectoral fins look so nice when fanned out. He also looks up at me with his blue eyes imploringly. He looks like a puppy begging for food. What a personable fish.

Old 03/11/2007, 07:27 PM
Premium Member

Sorry I changed the directory structure on my site so that prev pic I posted won't link anymore.

Here is a link to what is pretty much a dump page of a few pics of my lionfish so far. Its a rough page atm and they aren't thumnailed or anything so dialup beware.

Elvn's Dwarf Fuzzy Lion Page

Old 03/31/2007, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

Great lion fish article, I just got a fuzzy dwarf and wanted more info and stumble onto this thread. Great reading and info.
Old 08/23/2007, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

I just got home with my black volitan and he is beautiful. From Africa. Have not had time to read this thread or the article. I have much salt experience but none with this fish and am approaching this venture from the most humble position. I was subscribed to a fantastic thread for years about scorpion fish. Is it still out there? Am going to put in some rosy reds and if I can find them, glass shrimp tomorrow so he can get some nutrition in him. Any suggestions, tips are always welcome.