Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish

Old 02/29/2004, 11:29 AM
Marine Aquarist

Allancaza,

Después de ver su perfil, yo pensé que usted quizás hable español, no inglés, asÃ* que puse mi poste por un sitio web libre de la traducción. Si esto no tiene sentido, el problema es probablemente el sitio que traduce, pero optimistamente será entendible.

Se parece a usted tiene un par muy agradable del desove clownfish marrón. Usted ya puede haber figurado esto fuera, pero yo lo repetiré aquÃ*, en caso de que usted no entenderá. Carlos busca a personas para escribir acerca de clases diferentes de clownfishes, asÃ* que él puede hacer una página web fuera de ello. Si usted quiso escribir acerca de clownfish marrón (o cualquier otro tipo de clownfish), pensarÃ*amos que eso era gran.

Trumpet12
Old 02/29/2004, 11:33 AM
Marine Aquarist

In English...

I thought that everyone who does not speak Spanish would want to see my post above in English. The first paragraph just explained that I do not speak Spanish and that I had created the post by typing it in English and sending it through a free translation website, meaning that the quality might be bad.

This is what the second paragraph said.

Quote:
It looks like you have a very nice pair of spawning maroon clownfish. You may have already figured this out, but I am going to repeat it here, in case you did not understand. Carlos is looking for people to write about different kinds of clownfishes, so that he can make a webpage out of it. If you wanted to write about maroon clownfish (or any other sort of clownfish), we would think that that was great.
Old 02/29/2004, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

Ok,

Sorry!!!
Old 02/29/2004, 01:50 PM
Marine Aquarist

Quote:
Originally posted by Allancaza
Sorry!!!
What did you do? I don't see any reason that you need to be sorry.
Old 02/29/2004, 01:59 PM
Marine Aquarist

If what I said sounded critical to you, I apologize for that, because I did not mean it that way at all. I just wanted to compliment you on your great looking pair of fish and make sure that you weren't confused.

Also, have you ever raised any of your pair's eggs?
Old 03/07/2004, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

Very nice pics, but more like a wish list
Old 03/07/2004, 09:10 PM
Marine Aquarist

Josh K,

WELCOME TO REEF CENTRAL!!!
Old 03/07/2004, 10:43 PM
Clownfish Fanatic

It sure is a wish list. If I only had the tanks, space, and money for all those clowns.
DLCKWOOD

David Lockwood
Old 03/18/2004, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

does anyone have a pic of a black percula? Is it the same as those onyx perculas in the pic above.
Old 03/18/2004, 07:20 PM
Vegetative Protoplasm

The term "black percula" is horribly mis-used. And there are now True Black Perculas. Only Onyx percula and SI percula. Which are both sometimes marketed as "black percula". More often the term is use for black A. ocellaris. But it is also used for dark varients of A. polymnus and even A. clarkii. I think someone even said here that they saw an A. sebae marked as a "black percula" at there LFS.

So, which of these six possibilities were you refering to?
Old 03/18/2004, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

they look like the onyx percula's that are on this post on the first page.They just have a little more orange and or still juveniles and was hoping that they would turn colors if they are the rite ones.
Old 03/18/2004, 10:38 PM
Vegetative Protoplasm

If the fish your are looking at are Onyx or SI Percula, the orange will always be there as adults. Look above a few pics for the Black Var. of A. ocellaris. These can become fully black to just a hint of orange around the snout, but the fins are black (unlike the percula varients). Note also, the pic of the black var. of A. clarkii.
Old 04/02/2004, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

Nice pics and no red x's in sight.
Got my clowns spawning every 2 weeks now so i guess the next step is to try and raise the fry.
Any tips would be a help
Old 04/03/2004, 11:32 AM
Marine Aquarist

Quote:
Originally posted by sclare
Nice pics and no red x's in sight.
Got my clowns spawning every 2 weeks now so i guess the next step is to try and raise the fry.
Any tips would be a help
This thread may help you.
Old 04/07/2004, 06:05 PM
The Buff Reefer

I want to know what kind of anemone that is with the True Percula... I have a pair of True Percs and just installed a 250W MH in my system, so I can now safely get an anemone. I like the one in that picture. Is that a Rose BTA?

-Scott
Old 04/07/2004, 06:43 PM
Clownfish Fanatic

It looks to me to be a Stichodactyla gigantea. One of the hardest anemones to keep.
DLCKWOOD

David Lockwood
Old 04/13/2004, 11:26 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I Love WhitE cAp anenome fish except for i never see them in stores wats up with that i know that they are a pretty penny but still
Old 04/14/2004, 08:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oama
The term "black percula" is horribly mis-used. And there are now True Black Perculas. Only Onyx percula and SI percula. Which are both sometimes marketed as "black percula". More often the term is use for black A. ocellaris. But it is also used for dark varients of A. polymnus and even A. clarkii. I think someone even said here that they saw an A. sebae marked as a "black percula" at there LFS.

So, which of these six possibilities were you refering to?
Maybe you can answer.. Why are black ocellaris marketed as percula.. why are they not marketed as black ocellaris? is it to try to bring in a few more dollars?
Old 04/14/2004, 02:56 PM
Rare Clownfish Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Rod Buehler
Maybe you can answer.. Why are black ocellaris marketed as percula.. why are they not marketed as black ocellaris? is it to try to bring in a few more dollars?
Well I can't speak for ORA, but I am pretty sure Doug would agree...

The big problem is that many of a breeder's customers (the LFS) do not know latin names, do not care to learn or educate their customers.

Here is one example... I went to small LFS here in Phoenix. I asked "I have ocellaris ready for sale, would you be interested?". The owner and most "knowledgeable" person in the store asked me "what is an ocellaris, never heard of them before, is that a fish?". After I explained to him what they were, he copped a big attitude and insisted that there was no such thing as an Ocellaris, that those are Percula and nothing, not even picking up a copy of Joyce Wilkerson book in his store and showing him would convince him otherwise.

Here is another example... Another LFS here... I go in to take a look around, they are known for having some good price on inverts. I see one tank with black A. polymnus labeled as "black percs", I walk a little further down the row of tanks only to find another tank with black A. ocellaris labeled as "black percs". I turn the corner and come back up with other side of tanks an find yet another tank labeled "black percs", this time it has domino damsels in it! When I questioned the owner about it, his response was that he sold the fish based on what the wholesaler called the fish, and frankly didn't care if they were labeled correctly or not because his customers didn't care.

Frankly I give a big thumbs up to breeders and wholesalers like ORA and Quality Marine that actually use both common names and latin species and stand behind their IDs.
Old 04/14/2004, 06:11 PM
Vegetative Protoplasm

Um.... What John said.
Old 04/14/2004, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oama
Um.... What John said.
K.. I Guess but if the leaders that really know better dont make it right, how will the LFS that doesnt know any better ever get it right? It should start somewhwere.. If the leaders are mis labeling them everyone else will too. I look at ORA as leaders.. Come on Oama change the world .

Hey, would you guys have a look at this thread and post your thoughts..
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...8&goto=newpost
Old 04/14/2004, 07:17 PM
Clownfish Fanatic

Well, IMHO "False percula" is just as good and at least almost every hobbiest would be able to pernounce and spell it. ORA also gives the scientific name right next to the fish.
DLCKWOOD

David Lockwood
Old 04/14/2004, 07:22 PM
Rare Clownfish Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by Rod Buehler
K.. I Guess but if the leaders that really know better dont make it right, how will the LFS that doesnt know any better ever get it right? It should start somewhwere.. If the leaders are mis labeling them everyone else will too. I look at ORA as leaders.. Come on Oama change the world .

Hey, would you guys have a look at this thread and post your thoughts..
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...8&goto=newpost
You missed my last sentence...

ORA does list their stock with both latin species names AND common names. It is up to the LFS to take the hint, but frankly it has to come from the hobbyist, by demanding that the livestock they buy be correctly identified and labeled with a latin species name and a common if they want to or need to.

Quality Marine is also listing most (80%+) of their livestock with latin species too. I am starting to see other wholesalers list some species with latin names too. Some likely never will, after all if you sell someone an A. sebae it had better be an A. sebae and not an A. clarkii, with common names there is always an argument. Actually had a wholesaler tell me "all sebae are really clarkii and I should know I have been doing this for 25 years, so don't tell me I am wrong!!!!!".

So I do think the supply chain is getting the idea, but the pressure has to come from the money source, the end customer. If a LFS started losing sales because customer refused to buy anything that wasn't listed with a latin species name, you would see a big change and fast.
Old 04/14/2004, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JHardman
You missed my last sentence...

ORA does list their stock with both latin species names AND common names. It is up to the LFS to take the hint,
I cought the last sentance just fine . I just dont think that a *common name * for A ocellaris shoud be percula.. that very confusing.. who gave these black ocellaris the common name of black percula? and if the common name of an ocellaris is percula, what is the*common name* for percula? I understand that is basically the LFs fault, but th eprope names have to start somewhere, and if they are being sold to the LFS as percs ( which they arent) what is the LFS supposed to do?
Old 04/14/2004, 07:55 PM
Vegetative Protoplasm

LOL Well, if I could change the world, That would be one of the first things I would change! It has always bugged me. About at the same level as marine hobbists using the term "Ich". There is no Marine Ich, so why does everyone use that name?????

Anywho...I just raise them. I know what I raise. It's not my job to sell them. But then again, how often does the phone ring and people are saying "Can you ship me XXX Nemos, tomorrow?" Too often.