Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment

Old 01/01/2003, 09:29 AM
10 & Over Club

Post Treating Yellow Tangs with Red Streaks or Blotches

Hi All,

Due to the sudden insurgence of YT's with red streaking I'm just going write one answer all post on the subject that should solve everyones dilema

Red streaks or blotches in Yellow Tangs is due to bacterial infection. This is often due to water quality or shipping conditions if the tang is a recent import.

Often just a series of water changes to improve water quality, along with an examination of the filtration system and necessary improvements for long term stability, is sufficient to clear this up in several days.

However, should the above steps not cause improvement in the tangs condition within 2 or 3 days or the redness appears to get worse than it is time to break out the antibiotics. Generally it is best to treat in a seperate Quarantine Tank (QT) as antibiotics could negatively effect filtration in a FO tank and are certainly not good to use in a reef tank. The best antibiotics for Red Streak are usually Nitrofuran or Kanacyn IME. For those using Spectogram without any results I would suggest switching to Kanacyn as Nitrofuran is an ingredient in Spectrogram.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 01/04/2003, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

I had this problem a few months ago with my sailfin tang. I have a 125 gallon reef, lots of rock, corals etc. It was impossible to catch him. I tried something a little different and kept my fingers crossed.

I put a 1/2 capsule of kanacyn in about a cup of tank water and got it dissolved and then soaked the fishes food in that water for about 30 minutes and then fed them. I couldn't just "spot feed" the tang, everyone ate the food.

Within 24 hours the red streaks started disappearing. I kept a very close eye on the corals, but knew if something was going to go down the tube there wouldn't be much I could do. But, thankfully, everything was fine and the fish has been healthy ever since.
Old 01/05/2003, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

This can happen to tangs that have been in your aquarium for years. A pH below 8.0 can induce it. Often all that is needed is a LARGE water change. BTW doesn't spectogram contain both kanamycin and nitrofurazone? Nitrofurazone is packaged by aquatronics as Furacyn. Think of Yellow tangs like a canary in a coalmine. If they don't look right then its time to improve conditions.
Terry B
Old 01/25/2003, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

Just got in from the garden and our tang has this also. What do you think their chances of getting through it are?

Also, as this is a bacterial infection are any other fish likely to catch it?

I have attached a pretty bad picture (it hasn't slowed him down at all!)
Old 01/26/2003, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

This is a very common problem and just easiest to see on yellow tangs. The odds for recovery are pretty high. It usually just takes a LARGE water change with well aged and aerated saltwater to see improvement. It is always good to take a look at the frequency of feeding and the variety in the diet as well. Soaking the foods with vitamins, Selcon and garlic are also beneficial.
Virbrio species of bacteria are pretty much present in all marine aquaria. It can be just a matter of too much dissolved organics in the water to increase the population level. It is not transmitted from fish to fish. Each fish would get infected directly from bacteria in the water or food. Keep your foods in the freezer. A pwerful protien skimmer can help to.
Terry B
Old 02/20/2003, 03:51 AM
Registered Member

red streaks and such

A common, yet widely ignored problem is simple flukes. These invisible worms are making a comeback in the industry, largely to the increased demand we as hobbyists are placing on an already stressed system.
If you see clouding on eyes, fins or pecs especially, try the standard freshwater dip, but do it in a clear container where you can watch the result. After a few minutes, these white "snowflakes" fall off and you will be both amazed and grossed out at the same time, wondering how we never knew they were there.
Observation and immediate reaction is what is applied in the medical trade. We can never be on top all of the time, but an occasional trade of places can show a different view, and that can broaden your knowledge. And save lives.
When dealing with fish and pathogens, try to think of yourself as a mini ER.
That's the long and short of it.
You take the resposibility, ya might have to postpone dinner with the kids and the ex.

Just doing my job, Maa'm.
Old 04/06/2003, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

I had this problem with my yellow tang it turned out that my emperor filter just needed a good cleaning it was barely moving water compared to the way it did after I cleaned it. It actually scared me when I plugged it in I thought it was about to over flow. I felt like an Idiot needless to say I know have a column by all of my water test readings for filter maintenance other than changing of filters.
Old 04/20/2003, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

thatnk you for posting this!! Although my tang has never had red streaks, he has itched before, but it has gone away. i think it is lice, but im not sure, what causes the itching on the rocks? BTW- nice idea sterling, i wonder why no one has mentioned this before......i guess its safe!
Old 05/11/2003, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

Where can I get the Kanacyn?
Old 05/12/2003, 01:03 AM
Registered Member

I think Aquatronics packages Kanamycin. I know they have a product called Spectogram that contains it and Nitrofurazone. They make a good combination. However, I prefer Nitrofurazone (Furacyn) alone or Maracyn-Two.
Terry B
Old 06/10/2003, 08:58 AM
Abi-Normal

I have used pepso food from jungle to treat red spots on my yellow tang. for some reason as long as I feed it every couple of days the spots stay away. If I stop for a week or two they slowly come back. I have done water changes on regular intervals, and the water quality is good. I tried the pepso food on a whim. It says that it treats internal parasites, so I bought some just to have 'In Case". Anyway if nothing else works I recommend giving it a try. I bought it from Dr's foster and smith's web site.
Old 06/27/2003, 01:16 AM
Eye on our reefs

This sounds like the beginning of HLLE to me. I use EcoSystems reef soloution as a daily treatment of my water and it can also be used as a cure for the red streaks you are seeing.
Old 09/20/2003, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

Since we have the tangxperts here, would someone mid diagnosing my yellow?

He is eating fine but itching his bad side on some hair algea.
His other side looks fine.

Dane

ME.
Old 09/20/2003, 01:46 PM
Abi-Normal

boy that really looks like a mimic tang not a yellow.......not sure whats wrong with it though......
Old 09/20/2003, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

Dang, you are right! I thought I was buying a Yellow Tang, but turns out it is a pyroferus. Told the guy at the LFD, that "I would like to get that yellow tang". He didnt correct me. Now I need to research this guy.

ME.
Old 09/20/2003, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

Try the freshwater Dip. Often times flukes look like this on Yellow (and Mimic ) Tangs. It doesn't always work, but can't hurt!
Old 09/20/2003, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

As he is new to the tank (a little over a week) is the dip going to be more stress than it is worth? Or should I give it a bit more time? I was mainly frighted by the initial thought of ich. The water has a lot of micro particles in it, yet no ich found on any fish. Maybe I need to clean a filter. I moved the tank 2 weeks ago and left the filter to keep bio active. Maybe time for a wash?
It's a DAS skimmer filter.

ME.
Old 09/20/2003, 02:24 PM
Abi-Normal

I am gonna assume water quality is good across the board. if this is true and he is itching a freshwater dip would do some good. it should not be too stressful seening as he is still eating. if it is an external parasite i would say this should do the trick though you may want to give him a dip several days in a row gradualy increasing the amount of time in the dip each time.
Old 09/20/2003, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

Nitrates were through the roof a few days ago when he started itching. Did about a 20g water change in a 75g (with about 15g of LR) yesterday. I am guessing the 160 range of Nitrates were a pretty big stresser.

ME.
Old 09/20/2003, 02:44 PM
Abi-Normal

yeah I would say so. In fact I would probably follow that up with another 20 gal. change in a few days. and then another 2 weeks from now and then guage how often it needs to be done to keep them under 30. Assumeing that this is a fish only tank. under 30 is pretty acceptable.
Old 09/20/2003, 02:47 PM
Abi-Normal

one more thing. when my small yellow tang came down with red blotches I started feeding pepso food by jungle. It treats internal parasites, but it cleared up the spots and when I would stop feeding it for a week or so they would come back. I found that it was my water quality that was causeing the spots but the pepso food cured on a temporary basis. so fix the water quality then get some pepso food if you can. I ordered it from doctor foster and smiths.
Old 09/20/2003, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

Here is the tank. Fish,LR, and hopefully more reef in the future.

Thanks for the help.
Dane

ME.
Old 09/20/2003, 02:56 PM
Abi-Normal

wow, how long has that been up for nitrates to be 160? looks like a very small bio-load. how many gallons is it? Are you over feeding? I would try the freshwater baths, and the water changes.....
Old 09/20/2003, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

It was moved. I have read that a light feeding at twice a day is good for reducing stress. Maybe I am overfeeding. They eat it all.
It's a 75g DAS. I am buying a nice SeaLife Pro Series Skimmer Sump system today, guy locally is selling it for 150. Just talked to him, he sounded stoned. Also had a hallide light system for $150.
Gonna go have a look.

ME.
Old 09/20/2003, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

Tangs need frequent small feedings of algae, not Lettuce or other "earth foods". The cool thing is, these foods do not cause much pollution! Sea Veggies and Seaweed Selects are good ones.

BTW, Support your LFS, or you may not have one... Buying livestock online? Ummm....Scary