Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 01/04/2008, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

[violation]

Quote:
Originally posted by luke33
But what i really want to see is the pic of an air meter attached to the sicce!

Last edited by billsreef; 01/05/2008 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01/04/2008, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Yea, lets please take this patent crap offline as i've heard it one to many times.

Lets see some pics!
hey now, patents are paying for my reef, they arent all bad
Mag 9.5 return,
Tunze 9010 skimmer,
Phosban Reactor,
4 Tunze Nanostreams Modded,
retros: 400w MH + 4x39w 36" T5
Old 01/04/2008, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

To be honest.....I cant see to much similarity between the ATI Bubble Master and the Xtreme skimmer except for the pump. I mean someone came up with the car concept a long time ago, and see where we are now?!?!?!?!? Thats just life, and without people"copying" ideas, you wouldnt get much improvement on the "original".(usually from the "original" maker improving on their own idea to stay one step ahead of the "copier". Besides having "copiers" is what keeps the price in check! Imagine the price a company could charge by having the one and only skimmer due to some "bubble" patent. It would be so outragious that NO-ONE could afford it!

Its up to a company to create a GREAT marketing scheme in order to sell their product! Why drive a Lexus when you can have a Ford for a lot less money.....because they sell themselves(if you have the money).....I know Iknow...I am done now!
Old 01/04/2008, 11:18 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Quote:
Originally posted by dedfish
Sure...do you really think the R&D costs a lot? You do understand that the people on forums like these that are modding their skimmers are probably doing at least 50% of that R%D?

And I suppose you think a music CD is worth $15-$20?
No crap. I heard Dave at CoralVue is coming out with a Laguna based skimmer pump as well now... Gee, I wonder where that idea came from.

There are examples of products developed right on these forums that companies have turned around and made... sometimes with the consent/approval/knowledge of the designer... sometimes without.

I think its pretty smart for them to develop products with the input and help of the consumers though. I mean, how many of you out there have said 'I know I could do that better', or 'if only they would have made that part just a little different'... ?? Rewarding those who contribute is also a good idea. Sure, as a company, you can take the idea, as its not patentable once its posted here or sent to the company... but rewarding those that help encourages future developments. If a company takes an idea of someones, asks them to help/asks if they mind at least... maybe even rewards the person for their contribution, or at least gives credit, they are most likely to get that person's next suggestion or idea.

Its still a low volume/high margin market. The reef trade is a fraction of the aquarium trade at best, as much as it has grown in recent years. This means companies MUST charge a high margin, or they may not profit at all.
Old 01/05/2008, 01:35 PM
Premium Member

Mine showed up this morning, and as long as someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll post a pic of an Air Meter hooked up to it when I get it running. Hopefully later tonight.

Quote:
But what i really want to see is the pic of an air meter attached to the sicce!
Old 01/05/2008, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

You gets what ya pays for!

I find it interesting that people are always obsessed with the next great thing, in this case a skimmer. Lets be honest, I'm sure this skimmer will work just fine, just like many other skimmers on the market, and just like many other skimmers it will have it's pros and cons. At the end of the day you bought a "knock off" skimmer that saved you $150-$200. For that saving you got a little less quality and design, which to many people is just fine. Just remember in the long run you get what you pay for, wether it's a skimmer or a car. The one thing I've learned is that if your serious about reef tanks and the equipment needed to successfully run one, and your getting excited about saving $200 on a skimmer your either in the wrong hobby or your in for a serious shock down the line! If you take a look at the majority of successful reefs on RC, they involve a serious financial commitment as well as great husbandry, dedication and obsession. I'm not saying you can't have a successful reef without all the bells and whistles, but if you can't afford to spend $200 on better quality products, maybe your in the wrong hobby.
Old 01/05/2008, 03:25 PM
One Good Friend

Re: You gets what ya pays for!

Quote:
Originally posted by MGB
I find it interesting that people are always obsessed with the next great thing, in this case a skimmer. Lets be honest, I'm sure this skimmer will work just fine, just like many other skimmers on the market, and just like many other skimmers it will have it's pros and cons. At the end of the day you bought a "knock off" skimmer that saved you $150-$200. For that saving you got a little less quality and design, which to many people is just fine. Just remember in the long run you get what you pay for, wether it's a skimmer or a car. The one thing I've learned is that if your serious about reef tanks and the equipment needed to successfully run one, and your getting excited about saving $200 on a skimmer your either in the wrong hobby or your in for a serious shock down the line! If you take a look at the majority of successful reefs on RC, they involve a serious financial commitment as well as great husbandry, dedication and obsession. I'm not saying you can't have a successful reef without all the bells and whistles, but if you can't afford to spend $200 on better quality products, maybe your in the wrong hobby.

Maybe you should look at the MSX design as its superior to the ATI BM imo......It is of good quality and it does have all the bells and whistles so i'm not sure what your point is. The pump IS the same as well. You definately don't have to buy the best quality products to be successful in this hobby. I guess some people like to get the fancy things to feel like they are more successful. I'll never spend the big money on any pump, skimmer, wavemaker, powerhead, i run a thrifty tank with no bells and whistles, but all parameters are perfect, my fish and corals are happy. You can surely think what you like but by no means do you need to spend money on all these luxury items. It is alot like cars, you can buy a fancy Jag which will work great or you can get a camry for 1/3 of the price, it will work great as well.
Old 01/05/2008, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

Lets face it.. It's pride of ownership. I am sure a lot of people would rather be seen in a camery over a Jaguar.,lol.
I hope marine solution is sending you free skimmer for all the hard cheerleading you do for them..

GO MSX!!!
Old 01/05/2008, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

I'm new to this hobby and all I have to say is that this hobby it cater to people who have $1000+ burning a hole in there pocket but people like myself I try to shop for something that works just as good or better then those that hurt your pocket for what so you can say hey look I have a ATI,BM,BK or better, Maybe these company need to think about people like myself looking to get into the hobby but without selling my blood or my first born to buy one, To me this is all a hype as long as people continue buying these $1000+ Skimmers they will continue making them, And I'm glad to see someone else are making the same Skimmer at a cost that I can afford and anyone starting in this hobby.

Anyway thats my 2 cents so please let stay on topic and someone post a MSX250 in action.

Last edited by BaNDiTo_RoX; 01/05/2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01/05/2008, 04:05 PM
Limestone cowboy

Re: You gets what ya pays for!

Quote:
Originally posted by MGB
I agree with most of this.
Where this hurts the hobby is the peple designing the innovative skimmers lose out and these jokers make a quick buck and off to the next.
Old 01/05/2008, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

There's apparently no reasoning with the guy who just found the latest and greatest skimmer. Luke33, you need to get a little more objective, settle down and test run your skimmer for a couple of months before you proclaim it's performance is better than the model it's design was 'stolen' from, which when you think about it, is quite ironic. I am presuming of course that you'll be test running it along side the BM 200, so we can believe you the next time you trash the competition in favor of the new kid on the block. Can't wait for the results, I hope there's still one on the shelf for me!
Old 01/05/2008, 04:23 PM
Premium Member

Well, it has been my experience that buying cheap often means re buying. As a consequence, I tend to go with the tried and true performers and brands. For me it tends to be cheaper in the long run. Note that I am not saying anything for or against a given skimmer or other piece of equipment. Just a generic observation.

~Steve~
Old 01/05/2008, 04:30 PM
Premium Member

Wow, I can't believe someone finally put on a nice connection between the Sicce pump and the skimmer body! Good job guys!
Old 01/05/2008, 04:36 PM
Premium Member

Btw, how does the cup come off?
Old 01/05/2008, 06:30 PM
Premium Member

The skimmer cup pulls directly up from the skimmer body. Where the cup connects to the body, there is an o-ring where the collection cup seats. It takes about 3/4 of an inch to remove the collection cup. [violation]

Rob

Quote:
Originally posted by Maximus

Last edited by billsreef; 01/05/2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01/05/2008, 06:33 PM
Premium Member

Best way to describe it is there is a pressure ring in the top of the skimmer body that you push the cup neck into. Almost like the o-ring that holds the skimmer cup on Lifereef skimmers if you ever used one.
Quote:
Originally posted by Maximus
Old 01/05/2008, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

Does the angle of the feed piece for the venturi matter? What what's the black "doughnut" looking piece? Is that a flow restrictor for the pump?

Last edited by MrSquid; 01/05/2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

Here's a pic of my 200. It'll be a day (or 2) before it gets wet - and probably a day or 2 after that before it hits salt water. But here it is next to a soda can for scale.

Old 01/05/2008, 09:47 PM
I am a super nose picker

you can buy a skimmer for less but I do think you will get what you pay.Maybe the build quality isn't as solid,who knows.In all reality if the skimmer works well then you get a hell of a deal.The only thing is when you buy a knock off it does detour someone in North America from trying to build a skimmer and marketing it due to cost.Lets face it a skimmer is a piece of plastic or acrylic with a pump.You can build a decent skimmer out of plastic and use a decent pump to make it work right.There are many skimmers that are overpriced.I bought my custom skimmer for a great price and I am happy with it.I am also proud to say that its made in the U.S.A. North Americans are always looking for the next best cheap thing.I myself don't have tons of money but I do prefer to buy American products over china stuff.Its sometimes not always such a bargain.
Old 01/05/2008, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

i think if these new skimmers came with the old octopus pumps then it wont be as hype......but its the fact that they are coming with a known pump that you get with the high end skimmers that makes it interesting....
Old 01/05/2008, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by saltydragon
i think if these new skimmers came with the old octopus pumps then it wont be as hype......but its the fact that they are coming with a known pump that you get with the high end skimmers that makes it interesting....
I agree 100%.
Old 01/05/2008, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

Well I'm waiting on a unbais review of it, and if it's as good as those high end one's then I'll be getting the MSX250.

For those that got there's how's the build quality so far?
Old 01/05/2008, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

mrsquid,

you planning to tinker w/ it already?? ( i see a dewalt drill on the table = b )

YzGYz

2nd best way is to learn from ones own mistakes but the best way to learn is from others...

thx to Randy and so many other for making reefing that much easier
Old 01/05/2008, 10:12 PM
Premium Member

Can someone that has received their skimmer comment on overall build quality? Can you compare to other well know skimmers?
Old 01/05/2008, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ThaNgBOm321
mrsquid,

you planning to tinker w/ it already?? ( i see a dewalt drill on the table = b )

YzGYz
LOL! No - no tinkering here. I'm a DIY'er, but I'm not a modder. And actually that's a Rigid drill - but the black case sitting behind the skimmer is a monster DeWalt bit set. (I'm still putting my tank together, so the drill's getting lots of use with mounting stuff in the stand - see my build thread in my sig for pics)