Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/06/2007, 08:13 AM
Registered Member

low PH 7.8

I tested water all parameters good except cal little low 380 ph is 7.8 in 25 gal how do i get it up safely I do 20% water change every week .
Old 07/06/2007, 08:20 AM
CMAS Member

I use Kent Marine Ph 8.3. this stuff works really well.

Maybe add calc every other day. Alternating to get your levels back in the normal range.

Once your Ph is back to 8.3 you will see all kinds of good stuff happening with your tank.

-=E=-
Old 07/06/2007, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

How long of period should I take to rais it back up to 8.3 ?
Old 07/06/2007, 09:27 AM
old enough to know better

Whats your alkalinity level?

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1156296
Old 07/06/2007, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

Calc, Alk and pH are all linked.

Your low Calc and low pH are probably linked; you should check your Alk and post results for interpretation.

Also, a pH of 7.8 isnt that bad at all. I used to run reef's at 7.9 cause thats how tap water came out in my area....and i had no ill effects.
Old 07/06/2007, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

Never try to adjust your pH with buffers. pH is only affected by alkalinity and carbon dioxide. Make sure you have good flow in your tank and maintain your alkalinity and don't even worry about the pH. A daily 2 part calcium/alkalinity additive will help you maintain these levels.
Old 07/06/2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Europa13
Never try to adjust your pH with buffers. pH is only affected by alkalinity and carbon dioxide. Make sure you have good flow in your tank and maintain your alkalinity and don't even worry about the pH. A daily 2 part calcium/alkalinity additive will help you maintain these levels.
Alkalinity is "buffer".

Two part additives are important for reef tanks but not FOWL or std FO tanks. Calcium has no direct impact on PH. Daily additions of any additive should only happen if your tank requires it (determined by testing).

PH will usually manage itself so long as you have a reasonable level of alkalinity and appropriate air exchange.
Old 07/06/2007, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

calcium is 380 raisedit to 400 today and alkalinity is 8 dkl
Old 07/06/2007, 01:01 PM

The std norm for alk is 7-11 dkh .. if your alk is 8 dkh then your OK but you might want to raise it a bit. One of my prior post in this thread has a link to a chemistry calculator that will help you determine how much alk you may want to add (make sure you use actual water volume vs tank size when using the calculator).

If you want to raise alkalinity baking soda works fine. Commercial buffers are mostly baking soda (bicarbonate), washing soda (carbonate) and a small amt of 20 mule team borate (borate/boron).
Old 07/06/2007, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

how do you figure actual amount of water in my 25 gal tank?????
Old 07/06/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

I found that opening my windows raises my pH 2-3 tenths. My pH is stable (windows closed) at 7.8-7.9 There is something to be said about the overall air quality in one's home. Ambient CO2 levels seem to have a direct effect on pH. The problem is that there aren't many days in which I want my windows open.

I too have been told (and have read by the experts) that my overall levels aren't all that bad. But they also say that it is important to check the calibration of your probe before trying anything to correct it....Personally, I never exclude the possibility that there could be an issue with the age and reliability of the calibration liquid. Most NIST lab grade pH solutions that I've worked with expire at 2 years. I don't think any store bought fluids will be any better than that.

Also...is it possible that I have diluted my solution along the way? It is necessary to clean the probe before calibration. It is important to rinse the probe with the same solution you intend to dip the probe in. If I just rinsed my probe (after cleaning it) with some DI water, it has to be rinsed again with my pH solution. If I don't do this, I will gradually dilute my calibration solution with the excess water on the probe.

Probes need to be cleaned and calibration checked every 30 days. This is an industry standard and will not be reliable unless this is done.

Probes do not have a unlimited lifespan. Many probes need to be replaced after only a year of service. Faulty probes that are near the end of their useable limit will begin to give erratic readings.

Some aquarium probe manufactures supply the wrong pH solutions. I just talked to a friend who got a leading aquarium pH probe manufactures' instrument and they only supplied 4 and 7 pH fluid. She didn't know any different so she calibrated it and just plunked it in the aqaurium. This will most definitely give false readings when dropped into a saltwater fish tank. For saltwater tanks, the probe must be calibrated between 7 and 10 or 7 and 9...whichever your probe manufacture suggests. The calibration slope for 'most' pH calibrators is different from 4 to 7 than it is for 7 to 10. If you calibrate your probe in either of these ranges, it will not be accurate in the other range. It will most likely produce an error of 2 to 3 tenths. Some pH meters compensate for this but they are more than likely industrial or lab grade and much more expensive. We monitor at 8, so we must calibrate below at 7 and above at 9 or 10.

I have some first hand experience with this and from what I've seen so far, calibration solutions are not 100% reliable. Many people do not understand the errors that could result if the proper techniques aren't utilized. These instruments are consumer grade instruments and have no need to adhere to industry standards. The margin for error is increased because of these facts.

But I'd just like to say that in light of all this, dosing your tank should be the absolute last resort. The problem could be right at the tip of your probe.

Last edited by jdjeff58; 07/06/2007 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07/06/2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronny#66
how do you figure actual amount of water in my 25 gal tank?????
Garf.org has a pretty good water volume calculator.
Old 07/06/2007, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kevin2000
Alkalinity is "buffer".

Two part additives are important for reef tanks but not FOWL or std FO tanks. Calcium has no direct impact on PH. Daily additions of any additive should only happen if your tank requires it (determined by testing).

PH will usually manage itself so long as you have a reasonable level of alkalinity and appropriate air exchange.
The last sentence you wrote is the exact point I was trying to get across...
I realize alkalinity is a buffer, but IMO Kent Marine pH 8.3 is a poor choice of additives. Usually if someone is adding it, they are not checking their alk level. And only alkalinity should be adjusted, not pH. The 2 are closely linked, but you need to go by alk levels, not pH. A simple DIY baking soda solution will raise alk. A 2 part additive is a good idea for FOWLR tanks if they have a lot of coraline, it also helps promote coraline. I didn't say that calcium has an impact on pH. But if you are adding daily calcium, you should also be adding alkalinity. But I agree, it is important to check alk/ca levels weekly when using it.
Old 07/06/2007, 09:36 PM
Generic Member

Low pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

A Simplified Guide to the Relationship Between Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium and pH
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php

How to Select a Calcium and Alkalinity Supplementation Scheme
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm
Old 07/06/2007, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all discussion It's just a little 25 gal set up seems to be one thing after another. I was told that being a truck driver and trying to keep up a reef tank would be a major undertakeing. That was shure an understatement !!
Old 07/06/2007, 10:38 PM
Moved On

I would not give up, your ph is not seriously low. Look into making a kalk dripper to keep your top off up while you are away. Dripping kalk will keep your alk and calc in check and raise your ph all at the same time.