Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/02/2007, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

Smile First post here. Have question about adding base rock

Current setup is a 46 bow with about 50 lbs of LR that has been setup for about 6 months. I will soon be upgrading to a 72 bow. I ordered some base rock to go in the new setup. My question is, should I go ahead and add this rock to my current tank? It seems like it would be better if everything would have a chance to settle in. If it was just a little bit of rock I wouldn't worry about it too much, but it's about 75 lbs and I'm not sure about adding that much new stuff at one time. If it's OK to add it to my current tank now, should I put it in a little at a time or could I just put it all in at one time? Sorry for all the questions, but thanks in advance for any input. Great site BTW!
Old 04/02/2007, 05:05 PM
Pragmatic Majic

Hi, Trey, [welcome]

If it is dry base rock you shouldn't need to worry about a cycle. I would just rinse it well and add it in to the display.

The only reason I could think of to wait would be if you intend to totally rescape and put the base rock on the bottom under all the other live rock. This could lead to alot of stress for the current inhabitants and it would make more sense to wait until you are switching tanks anyway.

If you are just going to add it to the top of all the other rock I would go ahead and just do it so it can get a head start on becoming live rock. Just make sure you account for water displacement and adjust levels accordingly.

If the base rock is not dry (came from a wet holding tank) I would treat it as if it was regular live rock that needs to be cured.

HTH
Old 04/02/2007, 05:21 PM
Premium Member

If you have a sump for your system, I'd start the rock off there rather than in your display.
Old 04/02/2007, 06:39 PM
Reefer

I got mine from reeferrocks.com I already had about 10 lbs LR and was upgrading from a 6 gallon to a 40 gallon. I ordered 35lbs of base. I dipped it in RO/DI and put it right in the display, it worked great no cycle
Old 04/02/2007, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the answers and the welcome!

Unfortunately I don't have a sump to put the rock in. That's one of the main reasons I'm going to the 72 because it is a drilled tank.

The base rock I got was dry so I'll just rinse it off good and go ahead and put it in the tank. I don't have any desire to rearrange things since the tank won't be up much longer, just gonna pile it all in there to get a head start. Might be ugly for a while, but will hopefully look really good in the new tank I was hoping it wouldn't hurt anything just wanted to make sure. I'm always cautious when adding new stuff to the tank. Thanks again for the advice!