Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/21/2006, 06:16 AM
Registered Member

anybody ever put a tank in a winnebago or camper?

the wife and i are thinking of getting a camper and doing some traveling. anyone ever tried setting up a nano sized tank in one of those things? wouldn't be worried about making ro water/water changes, etc..... more interested in how a tank would have to be built-due to the veh. moving and water splashing around. just wondering if anyone has ever seen it done before. a search didn't bring up any results. thanks, lawrence
Old 12/21/2006, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

You're joking right ?

Have you ever been RV'ing? NO dont do it, and it is not just the splashing around, think about the poor fish and corals being thrown around. Besides there is no room at all in those things.
We have a 30' 5th wheel and after 4 or 5 days we feel as if we are in a jar and cramped.
I understand your thinking, I love my tanks but not that much. If you really want a saltwater set-up go and get one of those screensaver programs and put it on your laptop and watch it.
My wife bought me one and 2 months ago on our last trip, I had the laptop on the table for the whole trip and when I needed a fix, i just looked over...

However you do do this, I have got to see some pics...

Good Luck,
Leon
Old 12/21/2006, 08:25 AM
Registered Member

Hi,

Don't stop too fast, sounds like a bad idea to me.

Dave
Old 12/21/2006, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

Talk about a good wave maker!!!!
Old 12/21/2006, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

hehe, i haven't been rv'ing before, but went with my aunt/uncle last weekend and had a good time. my wife and i stayed in a tent outside, so we weren't that cramped....but i know what u mean. i saw all the people with cats and dogs, and knew i'd have to have mine there too. i also knew my fish would have to go, so that's why i brought it up. looking back it was a pretty bad idea lol.
Old 12/21/2006, 01:48 PM
Team RC Member

They still make Load Levelers?

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/21/2006, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

Obviously the only people able to solve problem this is the dudes from pimp my ride.

Or possibly Wycleaf, since he has a shark tank in his Hummer.

Personally I think that you should haggle it out at the dealership
"ok, and for that price you'll throw in the winter tires, floor mats and 10 gallon softie reef right?"
Old 12/21/2006, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

you can make a extra long tank and have it sealed at the top. that way the the water motion can travel have less force. also bare bottom and epoxy held LR. have a closed loop running, no sump or refug. or do a globe like fish from NR.com

Old 12/21/2006, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rickbirdman
you can make a extra long tank and have it sealed at the top. that way the the water motion can travel have less force. also bare bottom and epoxy held LR. have a closed loop running, no sump or refug. or do a globe like fish from NR.com

Well I see you have never been in a RV either. Show me an RV that you could put that in. In a RV you have space, but all space doubles as something else, so a counter or a seat doubles as a storage area and so on... Not to mention the power requirments and space for equipment.

I bet it could be done but you are talking major $$$$$
Old 12/21/2006, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

true i have never been in an rv trip but just a thought the snow globe might work out lol .
Old 12/21/2006, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rickbirdman
that way the the water motion can travel have less force.[/IMG]
You are talking about the force of water slamming into a wall.

If you have a box 100% filled with water you still have force inside the box. If the RV comes to an emergency halt then you will have an enormous force against a glass panel not designed to hold the weight.

While interesting, I don't see it happening and Wycleaf should be ashamed of himself