Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/23/2007, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

Question for other Euro-Reef users

I bought a Euro-Reef RS100 skimmer about a month ago. Seems like a really nice skimmer, but I'm having trouble getting the water level set right. When I first get it going and set the bubbles about half way up the collection cup, when I come back a little while later it seems the level will always change. After that it seems like the smallest adjustments will make a big difference, so it's hard to get it set like I want.

I prefer to skim more dry than wet so I've been leaving the water level fairly low. Today when I got home the cup was almost completely filled with tea colored water. Funny thing is it's been running for a few days with hardly any skimmate, then in just one day the cup was almost overflowing. It just doesn't seem to be very consistent. It's in a part of the sump where the water level should always stay the same, so I can't figure out why it skims so different at times.

If anyone has any advice or thoughts to offer I would appreciate it.
Old 10/23/2007, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

Try posting in the Lighting , Filtration , and Equipment forum
Old 10/23/2007, 09:53 PM
Premium Member

The water level where the skimmer is at should remain constant. If it changes you will be chasing your tail. Also you need to set the skimmer at a height where the water is 7 inches or so from the bottom of the skimmer. I had to set mine on a container about 3 inches tall to get the water level in the sump to measure at 7 inches up the side of the skimmer. Where my skimmer sits the water level remains constant with no change whatsoever.

Try that and see how it works. Also you need to keep the cup very clean. I clean my cup every 3 days. I tend to run mine on the wet side.

Regards,

Pat

(PS I also think the height can be between 7 and 8 inches.)
2 X 150 MH
2 X 96 watt PC Actinic
2 Clarki Clowns (27 months old)
1 Niger Trigger (Owned 2 months)
2 Tunze 6055 PH
Old 10/23/2007, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

I'm still a newb, but I do have an RS-80, here's what I can tell you.

1. I used to rinse out the complete cup and tube with tap water (the entire part that is removed with the cup, rinsed it in sink) when I emptied the cup. Don't. It will remove the marine/slime coating in the bubble tube part. I now use a paper towel to clean the tube. I can still rinse out the cup without getting it in the bubble tube part.

2. If you don't have an automatic topoff, get one. Mine seemed to vary when doing manual topoff.

3. Do you add anything to treat your water? "De-chlorination in a bottle" added to tap water made my RS-80 go nuts. I now use ro/di. (Typhoon III)

I've had mine about 2 months and that's what I've learned so far.
Old 10/24/2007, 11:53 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I don't have an ATO, but the section of the sump the skimmer sits in the water level should stay the same. It's in the first section where water from the tank drains into the sock, so there shouldn't be any change in water level.

Pat, I don't remember exactly how high the water comes up on the skimmer but it is around 7 inches. I remember it being right around what the instructions suggested when I first set it up. Must be something else I just don't know what. And I never add anything to the tank besides a calcium additive. Only thing I can figure is I do like to have my hands in the tank a lot, so maybe I have something on my hands thats making the skimmer act funny at times. Guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it and see if this happens when I do certain things to the tank. Just wasn't sure if anyone else had a similiar experience. Thanks again.