Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/06/2007, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

To hang or not to hang - that is my lighting question.

Hi all,
Thanks to all of you that helped me out with my last thread.
I now know I an going to buy a 255w Current USA Outer Orbit Metal Halide T5 Strip 150w HQI 4x24w ACT (420/460nm) with 12 Lunars Aquarium Light.

I have a 29 gal newly set up reef tank. The tank is 30" wide. The light I want comes in 24" or 36" but not 30"

I could buy the 36" and use the legs but I do not want the light to be longer than the tank. I am way to OC for that.

I could get another tank that is 24" or 36" wide but I have this tank almost just the way I want it with the rocksand my critters are already in it.
Also I don't want to get another tank that holds more water. A little less would be ok but not more. 29 gal is already a huge jump from my 10 gal. ( yes I know 10 gal what was I thinking right?, well my origanal tank was only going to be for 1 hand -me- down fish that I fell in love with. I would have been very happy with my 1 fish had I not gone to th
e LFS and saw all the cool stuff)

So I guess I want to know, does anyone have any pros or cons on having a light that hangs from the ceiling?? Is it harder to work on the tank ect.

Thanks
Old 10/06/2007, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

how about getting a 30 gal. tank. only 1 extra gal. but will be 36" long
Old 10/06/2007, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

I hate the thought of moving all the sand, rocks fish ect. all over again but I think it just might be worth it.

I only got the 29 gal because I found the tank, nice cabinet and bucket of accessories for only 20 bucks at a garage sale. I had a 10 gal at the time and figured I'll buy it now and maybe someday I'll use it. Someday came only 3 months later

I had no idea I would get as wrapped up in this as I have. I think I'm addicted!

Ok anybody else?
Old 10/06/2007, 12:23 PM
RC Mod

Hanging lights are way more convenient for accessing your tank.

BTW, I'd also recommend going with the 36" fixture and replacing the tank. If you're OC you'll never be happy until you get it right, may as well do it now.
Old 10/06/2007, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

That's not really the answer I wanted but It's probaby true. To do it now would be the best time to do it. My poor fish. This would be the 3rd move in less than 6 months. Your right about the OC if it's not just the way I want it it will bug me. It took me almost an entire day to do my rocks in the 10 gal. The 29 gal took several attempts. I guess I should just bite the bullet.
Thank you for your imput.
Old 10/06/2007, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

Thought I would offer my opinion in case you decide to stay with your current tank. I have the same light in the 48" hanging over my 72 bow. Because the light is wider than the ends of my tank, I didn't have much choice but to hang it. I was definately worried at first about hanging a 50lb light from the ceiling, but now that it's there I wouldn't have it any other way.

It is a little more work, but it will really make life a lot easier once it's done. First pro is the fact that you can adjust the height for acclimating corals to the new light. I started with mine about 14" above the tank and slowly moved them down over a few weeks. Also if you are like me and always have to have your hands in the tank, it's nothing to move the light up and have plenty of room to work with. A friend has the same light over a 75 and with it on the legs, he has just enough room to fit his arm in the tank. Where he lives hanging the light wasn't really an option though.

Like I said, it is a little more work but it was definately worth to me. And besides, it looks really sweet hanging from the ceiling
Old 10/07/2007, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

Try302,
Thank for the imput. You said you had to hang yours because the light was wider than your tank. How wide is your tank and do you see light around the tank. I thought about getting the 36: but I was concered that it would be distracting to see light around the outside of the tank.
Old 10/07/2007, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

if you are really that OC, then the light splashing over is going to ruin your tank visually for you. i suggest getting a 36" long tank. and if you are going to go to the 36" length, a 40 gallon breeder would be a better choice than the 30 gal in my opinion. oh, and it's "input" lol!
sorry, had to throw a little levity in there. besides, you may appreciate that.
Old 10/08/2007, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

I had a similiar dilemma, although not related to size. It was recommended to me to hang the lights instead of the legs. Reason was access to the tank. I can raise the lights up, and out of the way when I do maintenance. It works wonderfully and I love it!

I also like the look of lights hanging over the tank, and I have more flexibility in lighting by raising or lowering the intensity of the lights by raising or lowering them.

JMO, btw.

Good luck in your endeavor!
Old 10/08/2007, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

dwd5813,
Ok I had that one comming. Spelling is not my forte Whoever invented spell check is my hero!

I am going to hang the light. I'm in it a lot so that option seems the best. I also like the idea of gradually lowering the light so as not to freak out my corals. Now I just to pick the tank I want. 40 gal is a bit big for me. I might do the 30 gal that is approx 36" by 12" x 16" or I might just keep what I have and get the 24" light. I am going to my LFS tomorrow to see what they have. I really like the size of my tank now Another 6'' inches in width could really open up the way my rocks are displayed, however, I'm not sure I will like the height being 2" shorter. I wil have to see. Also the 36" light is much more expensive than the 24"

This site is great. Now I know that I am getting the t5 instead of the PC and I am going to hang the light. That is a lot of progress in only a couple of days. Thanks
Old 10/08/2007, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by happygirl142
Try302,
Thank for the imput. You said you had to hang yours because the light was wider than your tank. How wide is your tank and do you see light around the tank. I thought about getting the 36: but I was concered that it would be distracting to see light around the outside of the tank.
With the bowfront, I think at the ends it's only about 12-13" from front to back. The 4 foot light is 15" wide so that's why the legs would not work for me.

As for seeing the light around the tank, that is a problem but I thinks it for a couple reasons. One problem is the color of my walls. The walls around the tank are white so the T5's have a pretty good glare. But another friend has the light hanging in a room with dark colored walls, and there is not any noticeable glare. Also I don't have my light down as low as it would be with the legs so seems to let more light out around the tank. With it hanging though, I can easily let it down to sit right on top of the tank if I wanted to.

If you don't think you will like it, you might be better to just change tanks so you will be happy with your setup. If you are spending that much money, better to make sure you will be happy with what you've got.
Old 10/24/2007, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

Final outcome:
I bought the 36" (Outer Orbit. It has (2) 250 watt MH,T5 actinics and both Blue+White moonlights. I am going to hang it. Eventually I will probably go with the 36" wide 55 gal tank.
Thanks to all who commented.